Do they allow umbrellas in the parks?

wendy1974

DIS Veteran
I can't remember I I've ever seen an umbrella in one of the parks. I have a poncho but my friend who is going for the first time asked me if she could bring one. I don't see anything saying you can't on Disney's website.

I can't remember I I've ever seen an umbrella in one of the parks. I have a poncho but my friend who is going for the first time asked me if she could bring one. I don't see anything saying you can't on Disney's website.

Yes, they allow them, but they are not very practical, as you have to deal with them on all the attractions. I guess if she has one of those mini ones, it would take up about the same space in a bag as a poncho though.

If you are going during a quiet time of the year, it would be doable, but an umbrella with crowds? :crowded:

On our trip in May we used a large golf umbrella and a small foldable umbrella. We used the large one at both Epcot and Magic Kingdom. The small one broke at Epcot and got trashed. The kids really liked the portable shade provided when we were waiting for the parade to start. It really didn't cause any problems for us.

You can use an umbrella in the parks. You can even buy one in the gift stores with Mickey on them. Make sure you both have an extra bag to put your wet poncho and wet umbrella in. There are a lot of rides where they make you take off your poncho before you get on the ride. We were there last week and it rained almost every day. I used a poncho and DH used an umbrella (a small fold up one). I would rather use a poncho as it keeps you drier in the pouring, wind blowing rain. Many people buy cheap ponchos in the dollar store or Walmart and just throw them away after using. I prefer the Disney ponchos they are thicker and cover more of the body.

We take both ponchos and a telescoping umbrella. There are 2 problems with umbrellas though- they are difficult to use and don't keep much of you dry if it's windy, and they're problematic when you're in a crowd. I've found that it can get knocked around by people brushing past you and I'm always concerned I'll poke somebody with one of the ribs. But they are great if you're out in a light, windless rain and it's not too crowded.

Of course umbrellas are allowed! They even sell them in the shops.

You will find scolds on here who will tell you that you shouldn't use them because you'll put an eye out. Just be careful.

But you can't use umbrellas at an outdoor show (like at the American Stage). We each had those small umbrella hats and were told to fold them up. We also had ponchos so no problem.

Last time we went I bought ponchos in the park and asked the cast member for a pair of scissors and cut them down the middle in the front to make it easier to take them on and off. The cast member said she'd never seen anyone do that before. I can't be the first person to think of this! But I'm glad I did. Using that and a mini tote umbrella kept us nice and dry. :thumbsup2
Nancyprincess:

Nancy F said:
Last time we went I bought ponchos in the park and asked the cast member for a pair of scissors and cut them down the middle in the front to make it easier to take them on and off. The cast member said she'd never seen anyone do that before. I can't be the first person to think of this! But I'm glad I did. Using that and a mini tote umbrella kept us nice and dry. :thumbsup2
Nancyprincess:

Then how did you keep it on or closed? I'm assuming you put it on and off like a coat?

You can definitely take in an umbrella. If it's not too windy, I often prefer an umbrella to a poncho. The ponchos are plastic and don't breathe well, so they can get very hot and uncomfortable.

Yes, take one if you want.
We always carry pocket-mini umbrellas if rain is in the forecast. Have been really happy we've had them many, many times!
:goodvibes

BonnieA said:
But you can't use umbrellas at an outdoor show (like at the American Stage). We each had those small umbrella hats and were told to fold them up. We also had ponchos so no problem.

True. At Fantasmic they will not let you use an umbrella even before the show starts. We saw CMs telling people to fold them up.

I normally carry a poncho but in september 2013 one day I decided to bring my little umbrella instead.

Bad decision. The rain was going sideways and the wind was crazy. I was soaked pretty quick.

You can bring an umbrella but many times it isn't very useful.

If its a small umbrella I would take it along. I personally prefer the ponchos because it keeps me dry better. Its become a habit to bring the poncho even if its not calling for rain because the weather can be unpredictable. I even have one of the old yellow ponchos with Mickey on the back that they don't sell anymore. It makes it a bit easier to keep track of the family. :)

DH & I always carry our mini - umbrellas and have never had any problems. We've never gotten wet with them, only our legs and feet a few times. But, we are not ones to stay in pouring rain in the parks. When it's doing that more than quick TS's we leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter