Do the parks still have the same feeling?

meeko_33785

<font color=teal>Surrounded by characters<br><font
I was just wondering if the whole situation with Roy Disney and Stanley Gold leaving Disney has had any effect on the park. Do the CMs still have the same spirit to them or has the whole situation started to wear them down? Anyone else been in the past week notice the feel of the parks to be any different?

I was there all last week and aside from seeing this report on the news, didn't notice anything amiss!!! ALL CMs I saw were great!!! ::yes::

In terms of the last few years, I think many guests can agree with the statement that Disney has lost "something", or a portion of the magic that once drew us all in.

It hits harder when you look at what Disney has to offer its most loyal guests: AP benefits and advantages have shrunk, resort guests completely lost the privilege of ee mornings... Yes, we got a shorter version back, but what did it take? Accusing guests of "not wanting ee mornings in preference of character visits as per polls and interviews, ets." Left many with a sense of being skipped over.

And then there's the facilities: Who thought that Cindy's castle was more than an eyesore dressed in bubblegum pink and gummi candy? Who thought of destroying the beautiful view of Spaceship earth and the fountain by placing those walls of horrendoulsy etched pictures in the front? Then some CMs can't help but sneak out a gripe out loud when someone comments on their costumes or even name plates and they share with you how, despite feeling underpaid, they even had to buy their attire!

Overall, yes, many agree with the decadence of Disney, and only hope in our hearts that someone brings it back to where it used to be. In my personal opinion, what keeps the remainder of the magic alive is the faithful, loving guests that thrive on special memories of the past.

Then some CMs can't help but sneak out a gripe out loud when someone comments on their costumes or even name plates and they share with you how, despite feeling underpaid, they even had to buy their attire!

they don't pay for their uniforms. They don't wash their uniforms, costuming provides them with as many as they need through the day also and laundry washes them.

I think that they have the same feeling! Absolutely! Sure, there have been a couple semi-recent decisions that Ipersonally don't agree with but I do not think that any of them have done any detrimental damage to the experience----at all. Everyone has different opinions. There have been many (actually most) semi-recent decisions that I have been very happy with. Yes, Disney Parks still have the same feeling.

Just back and the tiff between Disney/Gold and Eisner was the topic du jour amongst the cast members I spoke with. My sense is that the whole thing is so far above them that they're not sure what is really going on. I didn't sense them being 'worn down' per se.

Has it hurt the parks? Not in a big way. But for those of us who have been to WDW many times, there is a noticeable slip. Nothing major, just little things here and there that would have been unthinkable just 5 years ago.

WA

they don't pay for their uniforms. They don't wash their uniforms, costuming provides them with as many as they need through the day also and laundry washes them.

Not all of them, I suppose. This man told me he even had to buy his own name tag. They mispelled his last name, so he even had to pay for a new one too!

I know that character costumes are washed and maintained onsite, but those weren't the ones this man talked about. Even in the DC stores CMs have to buy their costumes!

Originally posted by TreeOfLife
Not all of them, I suppose. This man told me he even had to buy his own name tag. They mispelled his last name, so he even had to pay for a new one too!

I know that character costumes are washed and maintained onsite, but those weren't the ones this man talked about. Even in the DC stores CMs have to buy their costumes!
The biggest give-away to this information being false was that the person you talked to stated he had to buy his own nametag because they spelled his LAST NAME wrong. Last names are not on nametags, as Disney is a first-name company. Name tags carry first names only, along with the city and state you call home. The only reason a CM would have to pay for his or her own name tag is if they've lost more than one (the first replacement is free ... others will cost you a few dollars).

I've worked at WDW for 16 years in several different areas. I've never had to purchase any part of my costumes (a/k/a uniforms), except for shoes. Disney provided me with everything -- pants, shirt, socks, jacket, winter coat, gloves, shorts and a baseball cap for summer, belt, rain gear (including boots); even a tuxedo for special events. I have also amassed at least two dozen nametags throughout my tenure here, and I have yet to purchase a single one of them. Whoever you talked to was giving you a line.

:earsboy:

I was just in the parks this weekend and also have talked to a couple of CMs I know. The division on the board has not effective service in the least. The CMs all have their own view point on it, but they are not shorting the guests because of it. Some support Roy Disney, some support Eisner...but overall, there does seem to be a good number that have the same complaints that Roy Disney did...the parks being used as cash cows for other areas in the company and the lack of cosmetic maitenance, cutting of hours, less training, etc.

I don't think the Roy Disney has effected them as much as the cut backs. I was a little disappointed in Disney this year. I remember the days when WDW was a pristine park with everything well maintained.

This year the parks were dirty and everything needed paint. We also didn't see as many CM to answer our questions. Little things, but a real difference.

It was sad.:( :(

I want the old Disney back, where things were perfect.

Replacement nametags have actually gone down in price recently, although, like searcher said, you don't pay for them unless you lose the first two.
This question is posted quite frequently, although the assumed reason that the castle must be on fire and the CMs must be hanging themselves changes from time to time.
Many of us are supremely insulted by the notion that we don't contribute to, or have any control over the quality or magic of the experience. Most of us go out every day and do our darndest to provide the most fantastic service available. Things could always be better, but WDW is still full of great people and fun times to be had by all.
Don't be the guy who seems determined to ruin everyone's day... nobody likes that guy.

Ultimately whether you feel the magic is going to be up to you. If you let a piece of chipped paint, or a trash can that might be a little too full or one CM who might be having a bad day ruin your whole trip then that is your fault. Would we all rather not see those things, yes but whether or not I enjoy myself is entirely up to me. I was there for all of last week and I had a wonderful time, in all honesty, probably my best trip yet. Did I see things that could use a little improvement, yes I did but that's life. There was one CM at Crystal Palace that was less than nice to some of our group but we didn't let it ruin our night and by the time we left even his attitude had changed. It's all in how you decide you are going to deal with things. If you let every little flaw upset you then you aren't going to have a good time. Choose to look at everything else that is beautiful and wonderful and things will be great. :)

We were just there in Oct., and thought it was great. I have even mentioned to people how I thought it was so nice, no one seemed really rude or anything this time. Although, IMO, the magic is "in you", so to speak. As soon as I walk through those gates, I just start to smile, the sun seems a little brighter, people a little friendlier, etc. Just more magical, I guess. I don't expect perfection, as that is not possible.

I guess it's just a matter of perception. There are just some people that seem to see the darker side of everything. BTW, I am NO Pollyana. I tend to be more on the cynical side.

Things were never perfect. We were just younger ...

My thoughts exactly. Some of these threads remind me of the Grandparents who walked uphill both ways to school in the snow with no shoes.

Memories tend to be faulty and we only remember the good things. (That explains why people have more then one child LOL!)

Safari Steve wrote:
>>>Many of us are supremely insulted by the notion that we don't contribute to, or have any control over the quality or magic of the experience. Most of us go out every day and do our darndest to provide the most fantastic service available. Things could always be better, but WDW is still full of great people and fun times to be had by all.<<<<

We just returned from WDW this evening and I am now trying to remember and deciding what to include in my trip report. The above quote from above speaks volumes for my experience this past week. From our arrival, I kept wondering where Disney found all of those perky people. I marveled at how anyone could manage to maintain that level of enthusiasm in such an intense setting day after day, let alone so many of them and for what I'm sure cannot be very large $$ (then again, I bet the perks are lots of fun!).

We met lots of great CM's and just a many that were just okay but still far exceed the level of enthusiasm and/or service that we have come to expect in the real world. Just a couple were sub-standard but even then, nothing worth mentioning.

My complaints all boil down to the system itself, I think. I felt downright betrayed by Disney when trying repeatedlly and unsuccessfully no less than FIVE times to change one and make another PS reservation. After waiting on hold for 10 minutes before hanging up each time (a personal policy) 5 times over the course of three days, I finally took a CM's suggestion and called the 800-wdw-dine number from my cell phone. I got right through and was finished in 5 minutes.

The message I get from this experience is that once I'm there and they have my money, I'm no longer worthy of their courtesy. I can't find any other explanation. Clearly the phone system is programmed to pick up the outside calls before the ones from the resorts, right? So which customer has priority? The potential guest of the guest themselves? I think that pretty much puts a real-world spin on the company's philosophy, don't you think?

Near the top of my to-do-list on return is to check Disney stock prices (perhaps dropped with recent news?) I certainly want to buy in because these people have a license to print money!!! Don't get me wrong, we had a great vacation, (don't tell my kid that anyone goes more than once every three years), and I got my money's worth of magic. Maybe it's just me, but I saw dollar signs at every turn. For instance: We did not see a cast member anywhere who was there just to help out. They were either selling something or in some sort of crowd control role. In either case, if we had a question it was pretty much "get in line". When our turn came, the CM was always at least helpful and courteous but I spent more time waiting to get a question answered than I did waiting for attractions! On the night we went to MVMCP (12/2) it felt like we were all just stumbing around in the dark (an attraction in itself, of sorts, I suppose) until just before time for the parades or shows to start, then there were CM's all around, for crowd control. Again, maybe it's just me, I didn't do enought homework, but I could have used some more guidance!

Anyway, the quote above rings true because those CM's enthusiasm is what makes the magic--the magic is the commodity--perhaps even more so than my $$. Are those CM's paid what they are worth? I bet not!! I want an easy way to dipense kudos to the good ones--maybe initial their card or something? Or ask them to give you their card and then send them all in at the end of your visit so that the Powers know which ones are actually putting out and which ones are just coasting?

I didn't mean to run a rant (because when I do run a rant, it is going to include the My Pal Mickey return nightmare) We really did have a lovely time. But for the sake of discussion, does anyone have a comment?

'Ultimately whether you feel the magic is going to be up to you. If you let a piece of chipped paint, or a trash can that might be a little too full or one CM who might be having a bad day ruin your whole trip then that is your fault. '

I, did not let the fact that I could see the difference in the overall maintenance of WDW affect our great time. I could just tell they had less people doing the work. It did show and I was disappointed, but not surprised.

The CM's were all great! You just can't not cut a budget and not see some of the cutbacks. I for one would rather pay more and have the place painted and clean.

Hey I got a great idea. I will replace Eisner!:crazy: :crazy:

I have JUST returned and to be frank the only thing that ruined my week was "looking out" for all the things that supposedly are so wrong around there. Granted, I did count 3 cigarette butts that hadn't been immediately swept away, and there were some scratches on the sides of the elevetor at the Boardwalk Inn, probably done by some "supposedly incompetent CM", trying to make our day easier, and yes, there were some rude people who pushed their strollers right in my path, and it did rain once, and it was a little cold one night, and I didn't feel too well after dinner one night, and I guess not EVERY CM was all profuse smiles waiting to cator to my every whim and fancy, but MOST of all, what I noticed is that in this day and age when the economy is failing, and quality is fast becoming a thing of the past, Disney does an amazing job of providing us with about as close to a perfect little dream world as we're going to get here on earth. The fact is, that I saw more CM's whisking away papers, than I saw papers on the ground, I appreciated the considerate help from the thoughtful CM's who went out of their way to ask if I needed anything, I was thoughtfully surprised with balloons and a card for our anniversary and a wish for a magical day, I don't think Disney can be blamed for "rude" people in thier parks, arguing families, whiney kids or the weather.

For everyone like me, who was scared that the "magic" was gone, that the parks where "falling apart", that the CM"s had turned into the Scrooge himself, that there would be nary a decoration in site, that things were "just not the same", I have to say that after looking for "problems" for the entire week, I have decided that the magic is alive and well, the parks were beautiful, the newest shows like "'Wishes" are the best ever, and the CM's STILL go waaayyyy beyond the call of duty to make your day special!!! Thank-you to all of you who made my time wonderful!!! And thank's so much for all the hard work you do, for one week, I was again able to drop my "bag of troubles" at the gate and just "forget". And at no time is it more evident how much that all means to me as when I sit here, facing them all again. So my only regret about the week, is that I wasted precious time focusing unnecessarily on these negatives issues. It won't happen again!!!

Originally posted by Princess Michelle
Ultimately whether you feel the magic is going to be up to you. If you let a piece of chipped paint, or a trash can that might be a little too full or one CM who might be having a bad day ruin your whole trip then that is your fault. Would we all rather not see those things, yes but whether or not I enjoy myself is entirely up to me. I was there for all of last week and I had a wonderful time, in all honesty, probably my best trip yet. Did I see things that could use a little improvement, yes I did but that's life. There was one CM at Crystal Palace that was less than nice to some of our group but we didn't let it ruin our night and by the time we left even his attitude had changed. It's all in how you decide you are going to deal with things. If you let every little flaw upset you then you aren't going to have a good time. Choose to look at everything else that is beautiful and wonderful and things will be great. :)

LOL Michelle....I know who you're talking about !!! But, you're right, by the time we got towards the end of our meal, he was joking, laughing and just as sweet as can be. We weren't going to LET him be un-Disney. :tongue:

As to the original question posed, I didn't really notice any slip in service directly attributed to the Roy Disney thing. All of the CM's we encountered (with the exeption of the one mentioned above) were very sweet.

But one thing I did notice, was that the holiday decorations have been cut WAY back. For example, at Boardwalk, the lovely garland swags that hung from all of the balconies were gone. There were several areas in each of the parks that were not decorated at all (in the past, they were). I guess it's just the usual economic cut-back thing.

Originally posted by saraha62
The message I get from this experience is that once I'm there and they have my money, I'm no longer worthy of their courtesy. I can't find any other explanation. Clearly the phone system is programmed to pick up the outside calls before the ones from the resorts, right? So which customer has priority? The potential guest of the guest themselves? I think that pretty much puts a real-world spin on the company's philosophy, don't you think?
Think about it from the other side -- on one line, you've got an outside call that is probably long-distance, costing the guest money. (And the boards are full of people complaining about being on hold, long-distance, for meal reservations.) On your other line is an inside call that is most definitely not long-distance, not to mention that the guest calling from a WDW phone line has other immediate options for changing their PS -- going to Guest Services at their resort or having a concierge do it, for example.

So if the phone system is set up to take the outside call first, that makes perfect sense to me. And I don't think it indicates that "once I'm there and they have my money, I'm no longer worthy of their courtesy." Why? Because they clearly don't have your money. Or at least not all of it. :) If you're waiting for meal reservations, then obviously you plan on spending more money. And you're planning on spending it fairly soon. The guy calling from the outside isn't. Not right away. He could be making PS for a year from now. Or ... he may end up not spending any money at all. As a business, I've got a better chance of making more money by taking the internal call first, since you're already here and in money-spending mode. So if making money were the benchmark for who got helped, it would seem that the "taking external calls first" theory is flawed.

:earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter