• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do the massage therapists talk during the massages?

Mickeyhugger

DIS Veteran
I know it's a unique question. However, DH was alarmed reading these threads that the spa/massage employees are actually part of another company (nonDisney) and try to hard-sell their products. We both can stand-up to sales pitches. However, DH was especially looking forward to 50 minutes 'getting lost in the moment' w/the well-being massage. (We're doing Romance at Sea.) He does not want to have to indulge in any conversation. Just wants to relax and take it all in. I'm sure many can appreciate this. I, myself, don't like to talk whenever my hairdresser is doing my hair.

Is there a polite way to decline conversation? I don't want to appear as rude. Or do they just do the massage and let you relax?

Thanks!:D

They talk if you talk. If not, silence other than to ask if you're comfortable. And I did not get any such sales pitch, the employees were WONDERFUL. :)

I actually started to fall asleep, that's how quiet and relaxing it was.

I concur. They only speak to you if you engage them. As for a sales pitch, they mention that the products they used during your treatment are available for purchase, and they point out the bottle display on the table. Besides that, there isn't any real push to buy. It's a VERY relaxing time. No worries!

I just wanted to say I agree with the above posts - No Sales and no talking -

But during my manicure:crazy2: - I felt like I was at a time share
presentation!! -

In every massage I had (on and off the ship) therapists will generally do the talking before it's time for the massage.

They will ask you how firm, tender spots, etc.

If you are really concerned when the massage starts...right at the begining mention that you would like a really quiet time.

My therapist is told that I often drift off and dont feel like talking. That sends the message.

LisaCA

We did romance at sea on 3/4 Wonder. The girls doing the massage and facial only asked necessary questions, and did not try to carry on a conversation.

And, we didn't get a sales pitch for products.

Wonderful! Thank you for all your posts. That puts my mind at ease. We love to talk all other times. (Look at our number of posts!:hyper: ) LOL! I won't worry about the sales pitches either. I guess it's happened to some before, but not enough to be concerned.

Thanks again!:D

They really seem to follow your lead. Most times I am looking for sheer relaxation and want to doze during my massage. After getting the info. on areas to concentrate on etc., they will work in silence, other than asking you to turn over or asking if the pressure is okay. Sometimes I'm in a more talky mood (I've gotten to know some of the spa workers because we spend so much time there), and then we carry on a conversation. If you prefer it one way or another, don't be shy about letting them know at the beginning of the massage. They will tell you about the products at the end.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

They dont even giggle when you snore. My DW tells me when we did the Romance Package that I was snoring. :o
Oh well I was way relaxed :smooth:

They are like priests...they also keep things in confidence. I know that my hubby is a major snorer, but whenever I ask if he snored, they always say they cannot divulge that information, so I never get to tease him.
Barb

I haven't had a massage on board but I did get a facial. It was the worst one I have ever received! The girl did talk, but I hated how hard she tried to pedal her wares to me. Very pushy! It made me so uncomfortable I've never used the spa again!

Not too bad, 1 out of 10 were satisfied with our experience. It was my first time in a spa, and I cant wait till I go again. :)

Do they push the facial products more maybe, since we all are so concerned about keeping wrinkles away.

I actually MAY go to the spa this cruise. I have NEVER had a massage and am a little (well alot) apprehensive. You know the whole clothes thing.

So I said a facial was a definite and a massage is a MAYBE. So I hope they don't try to push the facial products they use while you are getting your facial.

They will probably push the facial products. Actually, I use two of their products that I love...a face mask and some stuff for puffy eyes that works miracles when I've been up too long.
Barb

As long as they say things like "what beautiful skin you have", or "you have the muscle tone of a 20 year old", they can talk all they want!!!!;)

Couples massage -- asked about tension, how hard/soft pressure I could handle.

After massage: sales pitch for products.

I tried the Ionithermie. After: sales pitch for product that costs over $240 for a 4 week supply.

Nice spa treatments but a little tactless on the product sales.
Needless to say -- I wasn't buying.

We sailed on the 2/7/04 and I had a manicure on board.. The spa worker had just boarded the ship that week and we chatted all the way through...it was very nice and she was very pleasant!!!

I was shocked at the price of the manicure....I have a french manicure at home for about $15....didn't even think to ask how much onboard.....french manicure was $50!!!! So beware....

MJ

The prices are more because the Spa is a resort spa. Prices have been compared to salons in metropolitin cities such as New York or San Francisco.

A 50 minute massage might cost $55-60 in my town. On the ship it's closer to $80-90.

I might just skip the massage this time on the ship and get one when I get home to wind down from my vacation!

LisaCA

I agree that manicures/massages are cheaper at home.

I think I want to have it on the cruise, though, because after it's over, I'm still on vacation!:Pinkbounc

I can go back to my stateroom, or rest on the deck, have a scoops, and know I don't have to prepare dinner that night.

I sometimes get a spa pedicure at my local nails salon, but after I leave, I still have to go the grocery store, run errands, etc. (Not that I mind doing it, but I think I'll appreciate the cruise spa services more!::yes:: )

Those of you who've done the couple's massage, do the therapists work at the same rate of speed? In other words, would DH and I be asked to roll over at the same time, and begin and end the massages at the same time?? Just wondering, we've never had massages together before, so I don't know what to expect. I don't know if we'll be chatting, or both relaxing/falling asleep. It doesn't matter to me, so maybe I'll ask DH beforehand whether he wants to chat, or just relax quietly.

$50 is a lot for a regular manicure. I get my nails done every 2 weeks with acrylics and it's only $20 for a fill. We live near Boston, and I can't imagine it's $50 in the city (although I can't say for sure). I'll be getting my nails done right before the cruise, but it's good to know they have the salon onboard in case a nail breaks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter