• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do the Disney Characters hate teens/adults that try and interact with them?

the best memory ever was when I went to see Pluto many years ago At the time I was a member of Pointer Rescue and was wearing one of our shirts When it was my turn Pluto went absolutely crazy with joy kept pointing to my shirt and then tapping his chest 'saying' that's me ! he then posed in the fsmous Pointer hunting stance & clearly encouraged me to do the same best pictures ever & something I'll never forget I was in my early 50's at the time He clearly loved it when I called him 'puppy'head' & asked if I could give him a svratch behind the ears Even got on the floor and waved his paws in joy

It's all about fun for the guest & the character be polite say something unique to the character & enjoy even the othet guests waiting were having a blast & photopass photographer did a fantastic job

On my trip last January, our party was myself and BFF (both pushing 50) and our teen sons. Mine was 18. Hers was 16 but is very tall and looks much older. At CP the characters went above and beyond to get her DS into the mood. He thought he was too cool for characters, and they disagreed! In Epcot, we found Snow White near the Livings Seas. BFF wanted a pic. They ended up having a 5 minute conversation....started by Snow White. She was telling BFF all about how to find her own Prince Charming and to go find some wishing apples. Then in MK we were sitting on a wall near the CoP. We didn't realize we were near a backstage gate. BFF's DS was sitting a ways down from the rest of us, closer to the gate, with his back to it. We saw Chip and Dale heading towards the gate, coming up behind the boy. The signaled us to be quiet and then snuck up on him. At AK, Goofy started the game of stealing the boys hats.

So, to OP's question.....on that trip, it was the characters that initiated the silly interactions with teens and adults!

Flynn and Rapunzel are the best! DH and I went to MNSSHP without the kids and I really wanted to meet Flynn (which I will only admit here was truly the highlight of my trip) so we had to do the whole prince/princess line up. DH was feeling very silly about interacting with the princes and princesses, but they were awesome and he really got in to it. They made us feel anything but silly and really ionteracted more with him than me! :sad1:

We also had photopass and showing those pics to our kids elicited some awesome reactions.

This is why I love Disney. Can't wait to be back!

I haven't had a bad experience as an adult. At AK we stumbled upon where...ugh I can't think of his name...not Rafiki but the red monkey...the name slips my mind...saw me and kept pointing at my red hair and at his and was excited to see some one with the same color. :) The only time I usually do it is when my niece is with us, but plan to do it more this next trip. Shall see what happens.

DH and I are both 25yo and we've had fun character interactions. On our trip last week, we met Mr. Incredible and he challenged DH to an arm wrestling contest. DH ended up using both arms, then his whole body weight, and Mr. Incredible just stood there yawning. It was hilarious! DH is a Navy SEAL, so I thought they were both just playing around, but DH later told me that he was trying pretty hard and that Mr. Incredible was actually really, really, REALLY strong! I was once again impressed with Disney's attention to detail. It was such a great character interaction!

I haven't had a bad experience meeting the characters. It's my favorite thing to do in the parks (I have a lot of fun).

I haven't had a bad experience as an adult. At AK we stumbled upon where...ugh I can't think of his name...not Rafiki but the red monkey...the name slips my mind...saw me and kept pointing at my red hair and at his and was excited to see some one with the same color. :) The only time I usually do it is when my niece is with us, but plan to do it more this next trip. Shall see what happens.

King Louie

They're technically not allowed to judge or complain. They have to stick with their characters and be nice to everyone. They can judge you in their minds, but they are not allowed to break character and say you cannot take a picture with them, unless they're done for the day.

That's not true. Characters can refuse to take a picture if the guest is being inappropriate, abusive, ect

We've had great interactions with characters as adults (one that sticks out is Chip making fun of my aunt for talking on the phone at dinner)--and some of the face characters have been phenomenal. The only picture we have from one trip where you can see all my parents' eyes is one with Snow White--she asked them to remove their sunglasses so we could all "see their regal eyes." No way they would have complied if I had asked :-)

(posted this on another forum here but wasnt sure where to put it so put it in two places :P )

But do they kind of hate us because we're not little kids and so do they just find us obnoxious? I remember in Disney World the people who played Chip and Dale were HILARIOUS. We were with them for like five minutes. They were messing around like taking the autograph book and pretending to lick it and rub it under their armpits and stuff - we were dying. We eventually were like "Cmon we have to take a cool picture...think of a cool pose" and one of them like did the arms crossed thing and we had just done that earlier with Pooh so we were like "Cmon, EVERYBODY does that...we gotta be original think of something cooler." Eventually one of them does the over-exaggerated thinking thing and then went behind us and started picking up acorns that he gave to all of us. Then he tried to motion to us and wanted all four of us to all throw the acorns up in the air at the same time and to have the picture taken of us with all the acorns in the air. lmao. It didnt really work out that way but that was one of the coolest picture ideas I ever heard of and those two guys made my trip.

I hope they don't hate teens/adults that mess with them because it was the highlight of Disney was joking around with them. Funny how funny cast members can give the best memory of a trip.

Not sure what you mean by this. :confused3

With no disrespect intended to the OP, I'm not sure why this is even a question. There's a real, live human being inside that costume or behind that makeup, so the same rules apply as they do to other interactions with our other fellow humans. If you're having fun and engaging the character in a fun way, they are going to enjoy it. If you're being obnoxious, they are going to think you're obnoxious. I'm not opining one way or another as to whether the conduct you're describing falls into one category or the other, just pointing out that the basic rules of human engagement aren't suspended just because the person we're talking to is in a costume and is generally expected to stay in character.

:confused3

On a related note, I always make a point to thank the character for their time after the photo. I'm surprised at how few people I see do this. Often, people thank the photographer or the handler, completely oblivious to the other person there that was doing most of the work!

I had a friend that played Tigger and some of the taller characters on occasion in Disneyland and I asked him this same question and he prefers adults actually. Kids would always grab him in awkward places or cry and he thought the adults were more fun.
I find that hard to believe in my case. I'm 25, autistic, mildly bipolar, and have a Premium pass to Disneyland. I love the characters, but I don't think that THEY love ME. After all, I'm not a little kid, and I also get depressed and anxious a lot whenever I go to visit them sometimes, because of my being mildly bipolar.

Disney California Adventure just reopened a character dance party that features Lilo & Stitch and some other rare characters, like Timon, Terk, and the Genie. I was trying to dance with Stitch, and he didn't even make an effort to dance with me or even offer me a hug. He was too busy hugging a bunch of crowding little kids, who then laughed at me because I wanted to dance with him. I still go to that party, but I always leave it wondering what I did wrong.

In the past, at the parks and a special restaurant at the Paradise Pier Hotel, every character would go out of their way to make sure I was happy. They even made me pinky promise that I would try to smile, but I never saw the point because of my depression. Sometimes, I'd even cry in sadness, and they'd come over and give me a hug to calm me down.

So I guess my question is do you think they hate me? Or do you think it's just their job to like everybody that they see?

Once at a charcter meal, Goofy came up to me and pointed to my journal that was on the table. I told him I made notes of what happened each day so I could better remember them. He took the book and wrote something in it. Then he had me stand up, and gave me a big kiss. In the journal he had written, "Dear diary, today Goofy kissed me. It was great."

He started the interaction, even though I was sitting with DD and she is disabled, but he must of realized I needed some attention too. Ya gotta love Goofy.

I think I have the oppisite problem. The "Furs" love me.

Watching the parade I had so many come up to give me a Hi-five, and they also did the same for my kids. But, I seemed to be first.

The lady by me asked if I worked there.:rotfl: I replied I wished I did, It must be my Bath and Body Works scent.

Our 1st interaction w/a character was Duffy at Epcot. There was no line. My boys 13,13,9. My 9 yr old screamed "Duffy" so we all go over and my 3 boys got in for a photo. I was so upset when one of my twins started to poke Duffy. I was mortified. Actually, I walked over and grabbed my ds13 & made him apologize to the character (again no line) I didn't know how else to react. I was visually upset and Duffy gave me a hug. The handler said it was ok. My boys are always well behaved so I was shocked. After we were done we were on our way to GG for the charecter dinner where I explained to my boys to treat these charecters how you would like to be treated and always thank them when they are done.

The characters absolutely don't judge you by your age. Even I had some great interaction with them. In fact, meeting characters is one of my very favorite activities. What definitely helps for a great interaction, is to bring a prop related to their story or character. They really love if you do something different than the standard pose and standard autograph book.

Photopass - Meeting Baloo - Disney's Animal Kingdom - Walt Disney World by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

Baloo signed my Jungle Book 2 - Disney's Animal Kingdom - Walt Disney World by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

Baloo Posing - Disney's Animal Kingdom - Walt Disney World by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

Photopass - Meeting Baloo & Mowgli - Disney's Animal Kingdom - Walt Disney World by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

They even might share a dance with adults!

Dancing with Baloo - Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Street Party - Magic Kingdom - Walt Disney World by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

So, what ever your age is, go and have fun with them and - important - say THANKS to them! Specially during these summer heat days, one can only imagine what it takes to be "friends" with a character.

Had a similar experience with a "face" character at USIOA. DW, DD26, DD5 and DS16months and I were there in May 2011 doing the meet and greets with the Marvel Superheroes. I'm actually more a fan of these characters than anyone else in the family but because I'm the adult and I know they're just people made up/in costume, I was standing back and just taking pictures. Problem was I made the mistake of telling my oldest daughter that Rogue from the X-Men was my all-time favorite character. She of course told the character and this is what happened:
100_0268_zpsabe89b62.jpg

So yeah, I don't find that people in charcter mind playing with adults, as long as you're willing to play.

I find that hard to believe in my case. I'm 25, autistic, mildly bipolar, and have a Premium pass to Disneyland. I love the characters, but I don't think that THEY love ME. After all, I'm not a little kid, and I also get depressed and anxious a lot whenever I go to visit them sometimes, because of my being mildly bipolar.

Disney California Adventure just reopened a character dance party that features Lilo & Stitch and some other rare characters, like Timon, Terk, and the Genie. I was trying to dance with Stitch, and he didn't even make an effort to dance with me or even offer me a hug. He was too busy hugging a bunch of crowding little kids, who then laughed at me because I wanted to dance with him. I still go to that party, but I always leave it wondering what I did wrong.

In the past, at the parks and a special restaurant at the Paradise Pier Hotel, every character would go out of their way to make sure I was happy. They even made me pinky promise that I would try to smile, but I never saw the point because of my depression. Sometimes, I'd even cry in sadness, and they'd come over and give me a hug to calm me down.

So I guess my question is do you think they hate me? Or do you think it's just their job to like everybody that they see?

I don't think they hate you:goodvibes I think they are supposed to like everyone they see. They have no reason not to unless you are doing something negative to them as other posts have mentioned. Otherwise, they CAN'T dislike you. They don't know you. I wasn't there so I don't know the situation or what was going on with you at the time mentally. I DO know that depression and bipolar can affect the person's (who has the depression and bipolar) perception of how others view them, conversations, and situations. Paranoia can also be present. As I have a dd who has had bipolar, depression, and anxiety as well for 8 years. Unfortunately, Disney is not always an escape from these. We've been to Disney several times and the problems she has at home follows her to Disney. The characters don't always interact with her especially if there are other children that are jumping around, laughing, and tugging on them. Think of it this way... The characters have a limited time out. It is impossible for them to get to everyone. They may not get to you this time. But, the next character may get to you and leave others (even little children) out. Have fun no matter what. I know it is easier said than done but I always tell my dd, "You take control of your conditions. Don't let them control you." ;)

If the characters don't treat you badly would it really matter if the person inside the costume hates you or not? If they did their job and you have fun with the characters, then you had fun, the thoughts of the person in the costume don't enter into it much. As long as you don't treat them badly, but asking them to do funny poses that don't involve impropriety doesn't sound like harassing the characters.

I think OP just wants to make sure that the people are not annoyed by adults trying to interact with them. Or are they JUST there for the kids. It's a valid question.

It's safe to say that they don't. Haha. You will every so often run into a few who aren't as interactive because you're not a child, or they're having an off day, but aside from that I've had tons of awesome character interactions. Age shouldn't really matter, I mean, we're all kids anyways!

Most of the CMs work where they do because they love Disney. If they find it odd that adults would want to interact with characters, then they would probably have to find themselves odd.

You are among friends. Enjoy.

Like I told a friend of mine. We need to remember that just because we are at our happy place and on vacation enjoying ourselves the cast members are at work. We all have bad days at work and they are no exception . That said they seem to have less than me! Lol I have been to disney about 14 times and only a few CM's were not cheery. Never had a character be rude to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter