Do some CP roles get tips??

vin1215

Mouseketeer
long story short. I graduate this December ( Marketing/business major). I will be attending Rollins MBA program in August 2010 where I will try to take advantage of their relationship with Disney to land a PI. In the meantime I know that it is hard to get a PI without doing the CP so I am thinking of doing the CP while I have the time off. That being said, I am 22 and the compensation looks like it will be an issue. Does anyone know if certain roles like bell hop and others are allowed to accept tips?? What roles have the highest comp?? Thanks in advance!!

Yes, some let CPs accept tips. It really depends on your role and your leader/location. They're allowed to deal with the issue the way they see fit so there really isn't much of a company-wide CP answer unfortunately.

As for PI they are REALLY hard to get even with a CP under your belt. A lot of people apply for multiple ones. I know someone who had 9 PI applications turned in. Best thing to do during the CP, keep your record card CLEAN. ^_^

Thanks for the advice regarding tips. As for the PI, i know they are tough to land thats why I am thinking about doing the CP. With the CP and enrolled with Rollins I think I have a good chance as Rollins has a special relationship with Disney that is growing every year.

Also, do you know which CP roles would be most likely to get tips (assuming the leader allows it)?

Er...no.

Under the current Collective Bargaining Agreements in place, College & International Participants at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida are not at any time to be used in any tipped positions. All Participants are employed in Non-Tipped Positions.

Company policy prohibits Cast Members in Non-Tipped Positions from accepting tips. Failure to adhere to this policy will result in internal discipline up to and including termination.

While some managers may be willing to turn a blind eye on this issue, they're not supposed to, and can themselves face discipline if caught.

Interesting...Thanks for posting that policy. I dont really understand the logic especially how since some guests feel disrespected when guest service employees do not accept gratuity in the form of tips and that then becomes an awkward situation. I recently stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and the bell hop who I would have guessed was in the CP accepted my tip and also was very helpful regarding my questions so I guess some do turn a blind eye...Good to know that it is frowned upon in the program however that is not good news for me as I was hoping a role that receives tips could allow me to do the CP without putting a burden on me financially but I guess not :(

When I worked at SSR, Merchandise CPs did grocery delivery (since the resort has a sort of general store, guests can order groceries and CMs package and deliver them). I used to accompany one of my Merchandise CP friends (my next-to-best CP guy friend) and if a guest would tip us, he'd let me the money. :) Our managers didn't care so long as we didn't brag that we got money (I mean, it was usually $5 at the most).

BBB hostesses earn tips ("treasure") and most of them are CPs, so, yes, it is done. I understand that housekeepers are also allowed to keep the tips left in the rooms, so if that is the role a CP has, it's well-known and not a "blind eye".

I would not, however, recommend choosing one's role based on pay rate or tips, but on what you can be happy doing for 6 months or so...

bell hop who I would have guessed was in the CP accepted my tip (

Bell Hops aren't one of the CP positions. Bell Services dispatch is. they take calls and send for the bell hops, but they aren't the ones (or shouldn't be the ones) who carry luggage to the rooms.

On the CP site, you will see that the positions that someone may think are tipped have a big bold "this is not a tipped position" on it.

None of the positions are tipped on the CP. This isn't to say that it doesn't happen, but they aren't tipped.

My advice to the original poster would be if they are going to school at Rollins to seek out seasonal or part time positions. The reason that some of the PI's require previous CP isn't because of the CP experience as much as it requires WDW property and process knowledge. Most PI applicants aren't going to be from Orlando and requiring the CP makes sure that that applicant from Nebraska has that knowledge. I worked with a few people on my PI that went to Valencia and UCF and were working part time at WDW. They were allowed to apply and interview because they had the knowledge that a CP would get from working there.

None of the positions are tipped on the CP. This isn't to say that it doesn't happen, but they aren't tipped.

I'm going to repeat what Gray said - BBB do accept tips and it is definitely allowed. This is a union rule, not a Disney rule, so that's why it's listed as a non-tipped role on the website. The Union in this case has over ruled Disney's stance on tipping and worked with Disney to set up the tipping process that is currently used.

However, to get BBB is the most difficult role, they only hire about 20 a semester (out of 7,000 CPs).

In regards to the highest paid roles, I had always heard it was performer and BBB. However, when I did my CP (I was a performer) my roommate was a lifeguard and she made about 35 cents more than me.

Typically the lowest paid are Merchandise and Attractions.

Bell Hops aren't one of the CP positions. Bell Services dispatch is. they take calls and send for the bell hops, but they aren't the ones (or shouldn't be the ones) who carry luggage to the rooms.

On the CP site, you will see that the positions that someone may think are tipped have a big bold "this is not a tipped position" on it.

My advice to the original poster would be if they are going to school at Rollins to seek out seasonal or part time positions. The reason that some of the PI's require previous CP isn't because of the CP experience as much as it requires WDW property and process knowledge. Most PI applicants aren't going to be from Orlando and requiring the CP makes sure that that applicant from Nebraska has that knowledge. I worked with a few people on my PI that went to Valencia and UCF and were working part time at WDW. They were allowed to apply and interview because they had the knowledge that a CP would get from working there.

Thank you so much for that advice. So are you saying that a part-time job or full-time job in a CP-like role at WDW are equivalent to an actual CP role in terms of the PI. Also if I applied for a full-time job in a CP-like role are the pay rates the same as the CPs? I hate to make this about money but it looks like the only thing holding me back.

I did a CP this past spring and worked at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique...

we were allowed to accept tips, but we couldn't pocket them. What we had to do was when we got the "rose petals", we had to immediately take them to the back and put them in a black, locked box on the wall. At the end of the week, a few people count out the money and it was distributed to everyone depending on how many hours that week you worked. It was really nice getting the extra $ because that's what I used to pay for groceries. It ranged from $15 a week (i didn't work much) to over $240 one week, but that's rare. The average I got was $60-80 a week.

Hope that helps :)

So are you saying that a part-time job or full-time job in a CP-like role at WDW are equivalent to an actual CP role in terms of the PI.

That is how they were treated several years ago. It may have changed now and I would recommend writing Disney and getting an official answer (wdw.disney.interns@disney.com). I wouldn't think it would change because the product knowledge is what they are after. There isn't anything significantly special about what you get on the CP as opposed to working in the same job full time or part time. Responsibilities and exposure are the same.

Also if I applied for a full-time job in a CP-like role are the pay rates the same as the CPs? I hate to make this about money but it looks like the only thing holding me back.

Higher across the board. Not significantly higher, but higher. Their hourly site is http://www.disney.go.com/DisneyCareers/wdwcareers/hourly/index.html

My roommate was a housekeeper and accepted tips and was also allowed to keep things if the guest left them in the room (usually flowers).

So are you saying that a part-time job or full-time job in a CP-like role at WDW are equivalent to an actual CP role in terms of the PI. Also if I applied for a full-time job in a CP-like role are the pay rates the same as the CPs?

The differences CPs and FT:
CPs are guaranteed 30 hours a week, FT are guaranteed 32
CPs will make a little less per hour for the same role
FT will receive health and dental benefits, plus the pension program and other offers
CPs get transportation to work and have housing (but do have to pay for it)

The PIs are nearly identical to CPs in terms of benefits, slightly lower pay, and housing. But the roles are really quite different.

All Full Time and Casual Regular Cast Members in Union positions also receive annual raises, per the Collective Bargaining Agreements.

College Program and Casual Temporary Cast Members generally only receive raises when the Minimum Wage goes up.

Hey glen lets say I want to go FT at Disney as Security how hard would that be to get after I finish the CS program?

Hey glen lets say I want to go FT at Disney as Security how hard would that be to get after I finish the CS program?

Security is a fairly hard thing to get into. I'm almost certain that they do require that you be at least 21 years of age to even be considered.

It would be one of those things that you would just have to go to Internal Casting and hope that they have open.

Security is a fairly hard thing to get into. I'm almost certain that they do require that you be at least 21 years of age to even be considered.

It would be one of those things that you would just have to go to Internal Casting and hope that they have open.

Ok thanks.And would a military background help at all?

Ok thanks.And would a military background help at all?

It can't hurt. Disney Security doesn't really do anything of a police or military nature, though. It's mainly ensuring a peaceful and safe visit for our Guests and responding to minor disturbances.

Anything beyond that, we generally defer to the Orange County or Osceola County Sherrif's Department.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter