Do schools in your area have Thanksgiving week off?

DharmaLou said:
we're in the Denver 'burbs, but yes our schools have Thanksgiving week off. My daughter is just in Montessori, but their school follows the school district it lies in.

I work in a jeffco Montessori school, and we follow most of the jeffco system but not all

As far as I know, the big districts in Utah only have Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off. But we're taking our kids out the following week to enjoy the parks then.

NorCal here and we have the entire week off and have for the last 3 years at least. It used to be furlough days, now it's just days off.

We did Thanksgiving week in 2010 and while it was busy, it wasn't unmanageable if you use your time wisely (be there by opening, use any EE/EMH you have, collect FPs, etc).

Whole week off for 10 years now here in the Bay Area. We went to Disneyland Thanksgiving week 2 years ago and it was a nightmare due to crowds. We tend to go crowded times of the year, too--spring break, summer, Christmas--but nothing compared to our 2010 Thanksgiving trip. It was wall to wall people--just getting from Main Street to Adventure Land was terrible. Forget enjoying things--it was thtat bad! We were there Mon-Wed night. Hated it, and never said that about Disneyland before!

I know of several school districts within two hours of DLR that only have Th. and Fr. off. However, none of that really matters. It will be a busy week.

- Dreams

We're in eastern Washington and our schools have the whole week off. And yup, well be battling the crowds at DL too.

LisainCalifornia said:
Whole week off for 10 years now here in the Bay Area. We went to Disneyland Thanksgiving week 2 years ago and it was a nightmare due to crowds. We tend to go crowded times of the year, too--spring break, summer, Christmas--but nothing compared to our 2010 Thanksgiving trip. It was wall to wall people--just getting from Main Street to Adventure Land was terrible. Forget enjoying things--it was thtat bad! We were there Mon-Wed night. Hated it, and never said that about Disneyland before!

2010 Thanksgiving was our last trip, a in last time we went : ) too. Someone on our shuttle told us that Tuesday they shut the entry down as they were at capacity, they said about 70,000 people, although that sounds like A LOT to me, so not sure how accurate that number is. Luckily we went on starting Thanksgiving and although crowded, it wasn't that crowded : )

We have Monday off then early release days until Thanksgiving. We used to get over a week off, but now we have the kids home at eleven each day.

In our school district, we only have Thursday and Friday off. We have school Monday - Wednesday and return the Monday after Thanksgiving. I believe that most schools in my area follow the same schedule.

So, for whatever it's worth...

I went searching for this thread to share the following:

Today is the Monday of Thanksgiving week. I came to the Park this morning with some friends who are visiting from out of town. I just left.

The following were the wait times at 2:45pm:

30 min. - Ariel's Undersea Adventure
40 min. - Mater's Junkyard jamboree
45 min. - Mickey's Death, err, Fun wheel
50 min. - Luigi's Flying Tires
70 min. - TSMM
70 min. - Soarin'
150 min. - Radiator Springs Racers

25 min. Winnie the Pooh
45 min. Finding Nemo
45 min. its a small world
45 min. Jungle Cruise
45 min. Big Thunder Mtn RR
45 min. Pirates
45 min. Haunted Mansion (FP available)
50 min. Peter Pan
50 min. - Star tours (fp being issued for 10:30pm!!!)
60 min. Matterhorn
70 min. Splash Mtn
75 min. - Space Mtn. (All fps gone for the day.)

So, there you have it. It's a beautiful day. 74 degrees and not a cloud in the sky so it's also just a nice day to wander, watch a parade, etc. if you are okay with crowds. And I think this helps answer the, "What's Thanksgiving week like before Thanksgiving?"

It seems lots of folks from out of town (been talking to lots of people to find out where they're visiting from/local/etc) thought that they'd be the only one to come to DLR pre-Turkey Day. Ummm.... nope.

Reporting live,
Dreams

Hi Disneydreams! I am here too and am the Op for this thread. With the information I have gathered pre trip, I was set on arriving early at the parks. Fast passes for rsr were gathered right away and then we had quite a productive and enjoyable morning. Wait times were 5-10 minutes in Fantasyland with the exclusion of Peter Pan. We only waited 20 minutes to ride Big Thunder Mountain.

We had a delicious lunch at Bb in Adventureland before the lunch rush(no wait), and then set off to Cl to ride rsr with our fast passes.

Then back to Dlr to Star Tours at 1:30. By then, the wait times were as disneydream stated. I told dh that we must leave before the parade starts or it will be difficult to make our way down Main Street. Right now we are resting in the hotel, which I must say is quite blissful. Just one more hour until my glass of wine at the manager's reception!!

The moral of the story is to arrive early and avoid getting stuck in the crowd patterns. People have been friendly and generally in a pleasant mood here at the parks. One can still have a great time!! Now wish me luck for our evening return;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter