• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do prices ever fall closer to the date?

SoSiWe

Mouseketeer
We absolutely can NOT book until after Christmas....the cruise date we are interested in just rose about $100 over night. Is there any hope of the price dropping? We don't want to put our cruise later in the year, but might have to for the price...any advice? I'm kinda bummed. :(

We absolutely can NOT book until after Christmas....the cruise date we are interested in just rose about $100 over night. Is there any hope of the price dropping? We don't want to put our cruise later in the year, but might have to for the price...any advice? I'm kinda bummed. :(
Prices will typically only drop if the cruise is on a non-peak date and they wind up offering some sort of special rate to help fill the ship. Often these rates will only apply to Florida residents.

Prices do drop sometimes, and specials are offered...but as others have said, this happens when the ship is not filling and generally applies to non-peak season cruises.

The fact that you are seeing the prices rise is a bad sign--prices increase as the ship fills.

In general, the farther out you book, the better. We have seen some great specials the past 2 years, but there is no way to know whether these will continue to show up.

Thanks...you all confirmed what I thought. We have never cruised before, but I've been reading this board for a few months and have learned a few things.....and one of them being I should have booked a few months ago. It just couldn't happen, so we will learn from that. I really hoped to sail Sept 2011....just might have to be a little later. Not discouraged, though- we WILL be on that ship! :lovestruc

Perfect example....we are booked on the January 30th Dream cruise and the price was lowered back in August (we got a call from our TA). The price for 2 adults went down about $350.

That same cruise was just offered yesterday through TA's for OBC's of $200 for new bookings.

Obviously that sailing and the few following it were not selling as well as they wanted and they offered some specials and reduced the price.

Here is a link..

http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-cruise.htm#sbc200

MJ

That happened to us on our first cruise way back when. I had called on Friday & gotten prices for a couple of dates & we thought about which category & which date was best for us over the weekend & when I called back on Monday what we'd settled on had gone up $100 pp. Just remember that while you are still thinking the rest of them could go up too and you will have gained nothing. The sooner you bite the bullet & book the better off you'll be. AND if you book & you keep watch & they go down after you book you can always call & get a credit for the difference. They won't do it automatically but if you happen to catch it lower before your PIF date they will.

Thanks! That was my next question...if the price does indeed drop- what do I do? If I use a TA, will they automatically drop my price or will I still have to contact them? That question alone will determine if we use a TA or use DCL online. I'm appreciating this info!;)

Perfect example....we are booked on the January 30th Dream cruise and the price was lowered back in August (we got a call from our TA). The price for 2 adults went down about $350.

That same cruise was just offered yesterday through TA's for OBC's of $200 for new bookings.

Obviously that sailing and the few following it were not selling as well as they wanted and they offered some specials and reduced the price.

Here is a link..

http://www.wdwinfo.com/discounts/discounts-cruise.htm#sbc200

MJ

Hilarious! I just looked up that cruise and an inside cabin for two runs $1770 for the lowest cat while the lowest cat oceanview is $1590!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter