Do points for rooms increase yearly?

Laderer,I'm excited for you and your purchase. I really am. Owning DVC has been amazing for my family, but with some of the questions you are asking, and your rough knowledge of the value of this contract to you, it sounds like you are not very clear on what you actually have bought. I really think you would be wise to do lots of research in the next 8 days to make sure this purchase is right for you. It might very well be, but learn everything you can on these boards to make absolutely sure it is. If it's not, you can cancel your contract and walk away. Continue to ask questions there are lots of helpful people here.

Thank you, there does seem to be lots of helpful people here. I will continue to do lots of research as you suggested. We bought minimum points at one of the top reviewed resorts for our small trips every other year. We didn't take out a loan or anything and we're very comfortable with our choice. I enjoy researching to learn the "lingo" and learning the best ways and times to use what we've bought. Its also been interesting while researching to come across forums from years ago when they're guessing at what things will be like now! I found a forum post from when the Poly villas and bungalows were just announced. Like you advised, I will continue asking questions, though I really don't want to come across as someone who hasn't done any research. But then again, people not doing research is probably what Disney is banking on.. lol

We thought our breakeven was going to take a long time. Then my wife took her mother to Aluani. I priced that out in cash, and it would have cost over $7,000. Our math figured out to a break even of only about 7 yeas or so. That's actually right on track with what our Disney Salesperson (Frank) told us when we purchased - about 7-8 years.

When calculating breakeven point, don't forget that Disney's cash prices usually increase every year. When we first bought in the late 90s it seems that cash room rates were increasing by 5 to 10% per year, IIRC. We stopped tracking after two or three years, but we feel that we broke even after 7 to 8 years, and now we are way ahead.

For break-evens, I include our yearly fees, since we would not otherwise pay them. For the first few years, I also included the discounts we get from perks though. With a family of five, the discounts for AP, Tables in wonderland, all the store/restaurant discounts really add up. But we haven't benefited as much from these by way of our vacations (no park passes the past few years, etc). i use 2 different break even points: the cash value if paying rack-rate and the point rental, if I were to rent points from DVC owners. We passed our cash break even last year at 7 yrs, I think (we were very conservative with how we spent our points - low season, only weekday stays). And I think our point break even is in a couple years. Of course, We continue to pay the yearly fees so it's not exactly "free" from here on out. We are still dishing out about $1,100 a year in fees. If I figured those in over the course of the 47yrs, with inflation, I bet the breakeven would be closer to 15-20yrs maybe before you are truly free and clear? But still a lot cheaper than of we were paying and somewhat cheaper than if we were renting

I was super excited after I purchased my contract 4 yrs ago. I bought enough for a studio for about a week every year. I started following discussions of posters who have significantly more points than I, and I started to want more. I am glad now that I did not jump in head first. I love what I have, and sure I would like more, but I don't want take all my vacations at Disney. So, the only reason I mention this is you can always rent or buy transfer points if you want more, but a 40 or more years commitment to paying maintenance fees that increase each year is quite a lot to saddle yourself with when you are a young family. Give yourself some time to think long and hard about any future purchases and how you want to travel over the next forty years. Just my two cents....

I was super excited after I purchased my contract 4 yrs ago. I bought enough for a studio for about a week every year. I started following discussions of posters who have significantly more points than I, and I started to want more. I am glad now that I did not jump in head first. I love what I have, and sure I would like more, but I don't want take all my vacations at Disney. So, the only reason I mention this is you can always rent or buy transfer points if you want more, but a 40 or more years commitment to paying maintenance fees that increase each year is quite a lot to saddle yourself with when you are a young family. Give yourself some time to think long and hard about any future purchases and how you want to travel over the next forty years. Just my two cents....
I like your two cents :) that is exactly my mindset right now and I like hearing confirmation. Our little piece of Disney is perfect for now. And like you said, I can always rent if we want more occasionally!

My family started out with 150 points in 2000 at OKW. Then they added another 50 at OKW, another 50 at Beach Club, another 50 at Saratoga Springs, all spread out over a few years. Then there was a lull for quite a few years; we decided 300 points was more than enough. Fast forward to 2014 on the DVC Members cruise...my mother and I ended up buying another 150 points at Aulani (this was when they were offering the extra points "free"). 450 points later, we keep saying we're done and we more than likely are. She and I split the cost of the yearly maintenance fees.

We have used our DVC points to stay at the Grand Californian, Paradise, Pier, and Disneyland Hotel as well as the resorts in Florida. We just used our points at OKW in March for a week, I'm using a week's worth for a one bedroom at Aulani in August for my honeymoon, and I booked a studio at OKW for a few days in December to go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party since my fiance has never gone to it. One of my bucket list items is to stay at ALL of the DVC resorts.

DVC membership is hands down the best purchase my family has ever made. Yes, we go to other places besides Disney but nothing compares to going to OKW and feeling like I'm at home. We go multiple times per year, sometimes short stays, sometimes longer stays, but love having the freedom to go and just relax at the pool. We don't often go into the parks anymore but love that Disney feeling at the resorts. My fiance keeps saying he's so happy he's marrying into DVC and can't wait to utilize it when we have kids.

If you're happy with your 50 points, then stick with them and if somewhere along the line you decide to add more, you always can. Again, best purchase we've ever made and my sister and I were 15 and 11 when my parents bought it. We love going now more than we did then.

My family started out with 150 points in 2000 at OKW. Then they added another 50 at OKW, another 50 at Beach Club, another 50 at Saratoga Springs, all spread out over a few years. Then there was a lull for quite a few years; we decided 300 points was more than enough. Fast forward to 2014 on the DVC Members cruise...my mother and I ended up buying another 150 points at Aulani (this was when they were offering the extra points "free"). 450 points later, we keep saying we're done and we more than likely are. She and I split the cost of the yearly maintenance fees.

We have used our DVC points to stay at the Grand Californian, Paradise, Pier, and Disneyland Hotel as well as the resorts in Florida. We just used our points at OKW in March for a week, I'm using a week's worth for a one bedroom at Aulani in August for my honeymoon, and I booked a studio at OKW for a few days in December to go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party since my fiance has never gone to it. One of my bucket list items is to stay at ALL of the DVC resorts.

DVC membership is hands down the best purchase my family has ever made. Yes, we go to other places besides Disney but nothing compares to going to OKW and feeling like I'm at home. We go multiple times per year, sometimes short stays, sometimes longer stays, but love having the freedom to go and just relax at the pool. We don't often go into the parks anymore but love that Disney feeling at the resorts. My fiance keeps saying he's so happy he's marrying into DVC and can't wait to utilize it when we have kids.

If you're happy with your 50 points, then stick with them and if somewhere along the line you decide to add more, you always can. Again, best purchase we've ever made and my sister and I were 15 and 11 when my parents bought it. We love going now more than we did then.

Wow, that's awesome!! Thanks for sharing! I would absolutely love the luxury of visiting Disney multiple times a year and hopefully we'll have work schedules that allow that one day! Reading about the flexibility you have with those points is inspiring. I can absolutely see us getting more points if other family members split maintenance fees with us. I actually hadn't thought of that as an option.. How does that work when you visit without the other owner? I'm very happy for you and I hope you do get to stay at each DVC resort :)

@Laderer my name was added to the DVC membership. I don't have a card that says my name but I'm able to make reservations and such without issue. When I call Member Services, I say who I am and they ask for my information that's on the Membership, and I just book it. It's really simple.

@Laderer my name was added to the DVC membership. I don't have a card that says my name but I'm able to make reservations and such without issue. When I call Member Services, I say who I am and they ask for my information that's on the Membership, and I just book it. It's really simple.
It sounds like you are an associate on the account. You don't get a membership card, but you have the ability to use the points.

They don't increase but the dates do change seasonally for value and peak and all the other categories

The owner can make reservations for anyone. You just need the other person's name, address and a couple of other things. They check in on their own. That's the "renting" part of it.

After 20 years we really enjoy that our vacations have just annual dues to cover many nights in premium rooms. We broke even at about 7 years and get 2 weeks or more off season and about 10 days during late summer with our 300 points. We've endured the years of our daughter in middle and high school.. just one year to go.. and we can return to more fun travel times. The points reallocations had only a small effect on us, since we usually stay for 7-10 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter