Do people think we won't notice

Actually, that's pretty bad. I don't think the waitress is allowed to do that. If the manager knew what she was doing, she would probably get fired. You should for sure call and complain about that. I wouldn't want to lose $10 because someone decided to rip me off.

Unfortunately tip-padding is a known scam that usually results in termination. Some people have even pursued legal action!

Because of that scam, people who make honest mistakes can get fired as well.

Doesn't anyone write in a total on the receipt after adding in the tip? There usually is a "total" line.

Did you write in the correct total on the receipt? When I served we were told to enter whatever the total was at the bottom of the receipt to close out the check - whether the tip was correct or not. Sometimes we were short-changed and other times over tipped because people didn't add correctly. It could have been a mistake on either side.

I prefer to tip in cash and avoid this all together. The owner does not have to pay a percentage to tip out to the server and the server gets all his or her money.

What I don't understand is people who don't want to see a thief lose their job. It is my responsibility to report an error and it is up to the owner what happens after their investigation. If it is because of theft, I hope the person does lose their job.

I prefer to tip in cash and avoid this all together. The owner does not have to pay a percentage to tip out to the server and the server gets all his or her money.

What I don't understand is people who don't want to see a thief lose their job. It is my responsibility to report an error and it is up to the owner what happens after their investigation. If it is because of theft, I hope the person does lose their job.
Who ever said a thief shouldn't lose their job? :confused3 A couple people have pointed out it may not have been the waitress who caused the problem, others pointed out it could be a mistake, and others (me included) don't understand why the 'Total' amount (if written in) didn't get processed.

No one said someone should get off scott free if they did this intentionally. :confused:

In my case, I entered the total (with no tip) on the bottom line. At this particular place they enter the total without the tip when you pay to get pre-authorization, then at the end of the day "someone" goes back and adds the tips to the total. I don't know if they "added on" tips to any other tickets, but the manager was going to go back and check all the tickets for the day I went through the drive-through. Apparently they don't look at the total line, or disregarded it - I definately filled it in.

How did you see the receipt with the 1 added on?
I don't understand how you saw the receipt with the 1 added on either.

At every restaurant I worked at, a manager had to approve tips over 25%, before they were entered.

As previously stated, I did not see the one written in. The credit card company told me that. I don't know if they saw it or assumed it but the credit card lady told me the 10 dollar amount and 1 being written in is common fraud. I did my math correctly, the total was based on the tip I wrote in. I called the fridays they are supposed to call me back. I'm hoping its an honest mistake. I only noticed the charge on my card was 10 too much. I called the credit card company.

I put a $ in front of my tip and totals to make any alteration more obvious, and if I'm tipping cash I write that in on the line rather than leaving it blank or putting in a zero.

This is exactly what I do!

We went to TGIFridays the other day for lunch. Left a good tip, 23percent actually. Saw on my card statement the charge was 10 higher than it should have been. Sure enough, someone added a 1 in front of the 9 dollar tip. Um, we were not trying to leave a giant tip. It looks so obvious that the 1 was written in. Ugh. Just disputed with my credit card. Should I even bother calling the resteraunt?

Yes, and if you remember who your server was tell them. The employee who did that should be Donald Trumped! lol

That's why if paying with a card I always leave a cash tip. I can't believe some people don't carry cash. That's just crazy. What if something happens. We were at a restaurant once and the power went out. The people paying with a card either had to wait or they had to let the restaurant write there card number down. Now that real save. We paid cash and could leave. We also had a friend that the restaurant copied there card and a waiter went shopping on them before they knew it.

Getting fired.

My responsibility is to report the problem to management IE the totals don't agree with the receipt I have.

Management's responsibility is to investigate and take corrective action.

It's not a matter of getting someone fired, it's protecting my hard earned money. If it looks like someone stole my money you bet I'm going to report it.

We went to TGIFridays the other day for lunch. Left a good tip, 23percent actually. Saw on my card statement the charge was 10 higher than it should have been. Sure enough, someone added a 1 in front of the 9 dollar tip. Um, we were not trying to leave a giant tip. It looks so obvious that the 1 was written in. Ugh. Just disputed with my credit card. Should I even bother calling the resteraunt?

What really s nagging me is that he server was really a good server and we really liked her. She did not seem the cheating type. I am hoping its just an honest mistake but they did not show me the altered receipt. I went based on what my credit card company old me. So frustrating.

Ok first you said that it "looks so obvious" the 1 was written in, then you say you didn't see the altered receipt.

either way, I would dispute it and I would call the restaurant as well. Adding a tip is theft. Best of luck.

Yes, good question.

I would call the restaurant. I'm just not comfortable with the whole credit card-add on the tip situation, so I always pay cash in a restaurant.

I am amused it was TGIFriday's, didn't even think they were still in business. All of them went belly up here, but I think that was because of the guy who owned the franchises here in California, not the chain itself.

The one on Howe is gone? My ex husband lives in that direction so I don't go over that area much.

Ok first you said that it "looks so obvious" the 1 was written in, then you say you didn't see the altered receipt.

either way, I would dispute it and I would call the restaurant as well. Adding a tip is theft. Best of luck.

I posted that after speaking with the lady from Chase. She kept saying " obvious fraud" and the 10 dollar amount is an "obvious fraud with the 1 written in" I didn't mean toimply I saw it myself although i can see how it appears that way. i only have my copy. I was pretty upset when I got off the phone. Sorry if my wording is not up to your liking I was upset. After calming down I realized she never said she saw the receipt, but the way she spoke lead me to believe she had. I think she did based on how she kept saying it.

I posted that after speaking with the lady from Chase. She kept saying " obvious fraud" and the 10 dollar amount is an "obvious fraud with the 1 written in" I didn't mean toimply I saw it myself although i can see how it appears that way. i only have my copy. I was pretty upset when I got off the phone. Sorry if my wording is not up to your liking I was upset. After calming down I realized she never said she saw the receipt, but the way she spoke lead me to believe she had. I think she did based on how she kept saying it.

Did they ever call you back? They lady at Chase should have never said it was fraud, she has no way of knowing that for 100 percent sure.

Hope this works our for you Op, cc companies will take care of it for you.
I dont leave cc tips anymore, I leave cash then write the word CASH on the receipt in the tip area and always use a $ when I write in the total

This kind of thing along with restaurants being the number one place to get your credit card number stolen is why I only pay with cash now. I would call the restaurant and ask for the manager. Hopefully, if he is not a part of allowing them to do this he can figure out who did and try and stop it.
Good luck.

:confused3 not up to my liking? You posted conflicting information, I was simply trying to get clarification. It sounded like you saw it then you said you didn't. That's why I said what I said. So YOU could clarify what you meant.

Did they ever call you back? They lady at Chase should have never said it was fraud, she has no way of knowing that for 100 percent sure.

The Chase reps seem to like to toss the word fraud around. Every time DBF calls them about something that's what they say, "it sounds like fraud", "maybe it's fraud", "I wonder if this is fraud". LOL Maybe it's their script. LOL :)

OP, did you find anything more out? Did you talk to the location manager?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter