Do NOT lock up your stroller!

Heidijs

DIS Veteran
My poor DH...so I was worried about our rented stroller getting swiped so I brought a bike lock for it...just like one of those rope locks with a key...first day we locked it in MK all over the place, heck I locked it right to the fence around the carousel...nobody said anything...go to AK the next day, lock it to a little tree in the stroller area, get back and there's like 3 security guards there going through our stuff! :scared1: DH goes to get it and they gave him the 3rd degree about how it's a violation of homeland security and you can't lock up ANYTHING in the world. I got my butt chewed for that one :laughing: They said if they see any locks on strollers it's a red flag and they immediately search it and find the owner! How embarassing...I just didn't want it getting stolen...but we never had issues, by the end of our trip I was leaving shopping bags in it, everyone was! I left the lock in the room after the 2nd day though! :rotfl2: So just a warning! :lmao:

I knew you weren't allowed to lock strollers so the CMs can move them, but I didn't realize it was a homeland security issue. :rotfl:

Wow!

Some people will just lock the back wheels to each other. That way the back wheels can't move, and the stroller has to be popped up on its front wheels to move.

That way, the CMs can move them around as needed (homeland security or not, they have to be able to keep walkways clear, and they often move strollers around inside of an area), but it's going to be really obvious if someone has stolen your stroller.

But wait. Your DH was worried about the rented stroller being taken (I know at DLR, if yours disappears you just take your receipt to the stroller rental area and they give you another...is it that different at WDW?), but he left your stuff in the stroller???? Don't leave stuff in the future! :upsidedow

bumpershoot, I think she was referring to a rental stroller from an outside company like Orlando Stroller Rentals. At WDW if someone swipes it you can get a replacement if you rent from them.....

I have never heard of them going through a stroller....thats amazing...but why would they have to go through it? You have already went through the check at the gate, they wouldnt have let you in if they thought you were a risk.....I guess its a good thing....

Also, we leave everything in our stroller. but we keep a rain cover on ours even when its not raining so when we park it we just put everything in the seats and pull the cover down....makes it harder for someone to get in it and go through my stuff to see what they can grab.....

Wow! That's crazy! :scared1:

Does anyone know if it's okay to pop off one of the wheels of your stroller so that it deters someone from stealing it? The CMs should still be able to move the stroller if it gets in the way.

Wow! That's crazy! :scared1:

Does anyone know if it's okay to pop off one of the wheels of your stroller so that it deters someone from stealing it? The CMs should still be able to move the stroller if it gets in the way.

You should be fine popping the wheel off, but I do have to add this.......as a CM it is the bane of our existence moving around strollers (and I don't even work in an area where strollers are usually a problem!) so please if you can make it any easier on us by not making them even more difficult to move on top of everything else, that would be nice. If you feel it's necessary to keep your things and stroller safe by locking the back wheels or popping a wheel off or leaving dirty diapers in it (seen it!), then you need to do what you need to do. Just keep in mind how many strollers we CMs deal with daily, some of which are awful to push anyways, and try and cut us some slack with your stroller security measures. Thanks!

I pop a wheel off all the time, I always ask the CM where they want it left and tell them, that way I can put it where they want it and they will not have to move it.

If I saw a stroller full of bags locked up ANYWHERE I'd be suspicious. It's the same to WDW as an unattended bag in an airport. If you have any familiarity in terrorist operations, it's pretty obvious why that is suspicious. Remember that explosive devices can be made out of a LOT of common household products. The bag check at the gate would not catch that. They have to be thinking of everything. My DH is military and has spent a lot of time in learning about this stuff.

There is no reason to lock up a stroller at WDW. If it is that valuable then don't bring it. Have something you can afford to lose. Plus, don't the rental companies offer theft insurance? Buy it! It's like when you rent a car. You are responsible for it, so CYA!

You should be fine popping the wheel off, but I do have to add this.......as a CM it is the bane of our existence moving around strollers (and I don't even work in an area where strollers are usually a problem!) so please if you can make it any easier on us by not making them even more difficult to move on top of everything else, that would be nice. If you feel it's necessary to keep your things and stroller safe by locking the back wheels or popping a wheel off or leaving dirty diapers in it (seen it!), then you need to do what you need to do. Just keep in mind how many strollers we CMs deal with daily, some of which are awful to push anyways, and try and cut us some slack with your stroller security measures. Thanks!

It is certainly not my intention of making anyone's job harder. :guilty: Just consider me the ultimate worrywart. I always try to make sure that I park in the correct designated stroller parking. I have just read stories of people missing their strollers and I would seriously hate for that to happen to us. I know the chances are probably not super high, but that little part of me worries about this.

It is certainly not my intention of making anyone's job harder. :guilty: Just consider me the ultimate worrywart. I always try to make sure that I park in the correct designated stroller parking. I have just read stories of people missing their strollers and I would seriously hate for that to happen to us. I know the chances are probably not super high, but that little part of me worries about this.

I know you're not trying to make anyone's job harder :flower3:. If locking up your stroller makes you feel better about taking it, then by all means do it! Parking strollers is part of our job, and in most cases it's an actual position that you're assigned to do! I was just hoping to make some people more aware of what it's like to be a CM who deals with strollers. We know how important they are to you personally, but we move hundreds of them every day, so it's easy for us to not exactly understand when the 5th hysterical mother of the day comes up to us saying their stroller has been stolen, when really all we did was move it a bit (usually to the correct stroller parking area only). I hope you're able to come up with a system so you feel comfortable taking your stroller to WDW! And if it does seem to be 'missing' at some point, please try not to panic and lose your mind, just come up and let us know and we're happy to help you search, no need for panic and worrying it's stolen, usually they are easily found :banana:.

If you feel it's necessary to keep your things and stroller safe by locking the back wheels or popping a wheel off or leaving dirty diapers in it (seen it!), then you need to do what you need to do.

That "dirty diaper" trick is recommended in The Unofficial Guide - just add Coke to keep people away from your stroller:rotfl2:

That "dirty diaper" trick is recommended in The Unofficial Guide - just add Coke to keep people away from your stroller:rotfl2:

Haha, oh I know that trick, I read the whole Unofficial Guide before becoming a CM. I really wanted to be a well-informed CM, able to answer ANY question someone could ask. It was a lost cause since you wouldn't believe some of the questions we get! But I'm still pretty well-informed. Anyhow, I've only encountered this once, but the 'dirty diaper' in the stroller was a real one! Unless they've somehow managed to bottle the odor, but I don't see why anyone would want to do that! :rotfl::rotfl:

I rented it from magicstrollers. I didn't see very many like it in the parks and those park strollers looked like junk so I thought, great, ours will get stolen and I didn't take the $25 insurance...but after we got in trouble, we just quit locking it, never had an issue, CMs would move it but that was about it. By the last few days I was leaving just about everything in it, drinks, gifts, everyone else was...I only took my camera bag out on rides...nobody bothered it...

can i add a question in here?........

we are coming over with our 5 month old and will be leaving our pushchair constantly to go on rides. but we will need to carry at least one bottle of baby milk around all day. was hoping that i could lock this in a bag left on the pushchair so i know it hasnt been tampered with.

is this not allowed also?

can i add a question in here?........

we are coming over with our 5 month old and will be leaving our pushchair constantly to go on rides. but we will need to carry at least one bottle of baby milk around all day. was hoping that i could lock this in a bag left on the pushchair so i know it hasnt been tampered with.

is this not allowed also?

I don't know if locking a BAG closed is not allowed, but I would THINK that if a thief saw that, he/she would assume there is something of great value in there, and would probably take it to find out what's inside.

Just carry the milk with you. They make plenty of good backpacks with insulated pockets for baby bottles and such.

Also, you NEVER know what might happen when you leave your stroller somewhere and get on a ride. The ride might break down or something. It would be great to have the milk bottle for your infant in that sort of scenario.

I am renting a stroller from a local place. They actually recommended that we buy a lock and chain from them for $10 so that it wouldn't get stolen. This seems so different. Why would they tell us to do that so we wouldn't have to pay to replace it if stolen. Do you think its a money scheme from the rental place?

I am renting a stroller from a local place. They actually recommended that we buy a lock and chain from them for $10 so that it wouldn't get stolen. This seems so different. Why would they tell us to do that so we wouldn't have to pay to replace it if stolen. Do you think its a money scheme from the rental place?

I'd not rent from a place that doesn't offer insurance. The insurance would likely cost you more than $10, but it's worth it. And, if Disney allowed you to lock up your stroller, you could buy a cheaper lock at home before going down there...

I'd proceed with caution, as this place doesn't seem to be very aware of local theme park policy. I'd say they are trying to get you to shell out more $$$ for an unnecessary item.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter