• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DO NOT Cook Rice-A-Roni In A Crockpot...?

AKL_Megs

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever done it?

Is it possible, and, does it taste "right" since there will be no browning with butter beforehand?

I searched Google, but couldn't find an answer.

I am making a casserole-type dish (Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli) tonight for tomorrow that calls for Rice-A-Roni, but I simply don't have time to MAKE the stuff, nor will I be home this evening, and I also need to cook chicken breasts, so I figured I'd try and kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks!

Why don't you just cook the rice a roni while you are cooking the chicken breasts, and assemble the casserole later?

Why don't you just cook the rice a roni while you are cooking the chicken breasts, and assemble the casserole later?

That's what I would do. Rice-a-roni only takes 20 minutes to cook. Just cook it while you're cooking the chicken.

That's what I would do. Rice-a-roni only takes 20 minutes to cook. Just cook it while you're cooking the chicken.
;) I should have specified.. By "killing two birds", I meant the chicken AND the rice mix was going in the Crockpot!

They are cooking now, we will see how it turns out when I get home tonight!

One of the "gems" of rice a roni is browning it first in the pan to give it its golden color. I think putting it in the crockpot would not work.

Geez, it is a convenience food. I can't imagine dumbing it down anymore.

;) I should have specified.. By "killing two birds", I meant the chicken AND the rice mix was going in the Crockpot!

They are cooking now, we will see how it turns out when I get home tonight!

I think you're going to end up with something that resembles wallpaper paste, but good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

One of the "gems" of rice a roni is browning it first in the pan to give it its golden color. I think putting it in the crockpot would not work.

Geez, it is a convenience food. I can't imagine dumbing it down anymore.

Well, I have a friend who comes home from the hospital tomorrow, and it's her favorite casserole that I make, and I have somewhere to be tonight, so in the Crockpot it went tonight so I can take it to her tomorrow.

I skipped a step or two, but I am making it, so I guess you can call me "dumb". Hopefully she still will enjoy the thought, even though it's not browned and baked, but rather convieniently made in the Crockpot. :sad2:

I think you're going to end up with something that resembles wallpaper paste, but good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

You know you can microwave it, right? It doesn't turn to paste. ;) Unless browning the rice first in butter molecularly changes the rice. :rotfl:

I skipped a step or two, but I am making it, so I guess you can call me "dumb". Hopefully she still will enjoy the thought, even though it's not browned and baked, but rather convieniently made in the Crockpot. :sad2:

I didn't call YOU dumb but if you want to take it that way....:confused3

"Dumbing down the process" means that you've already taking a very simple food to prepare (you know, one of those idiot-proof convenience foods--again not directed toward YOU) and stripped it down.

In this case, I think it's going to be gloop though as rice a roni doesn't take well to over cooking at all.

I didn't call YOU dumb but if you want to take it that way....:confused3

"Dumbing down the process" means that you've already taking a very simple food to prepare (you know, one of those idiot-proof convenience foods--again not directed toward YOU) and stripped it down.

In this case, I think it's going to be gloop though as rice a roni doesn't take well to over cooking at all.

Okay. :) Well, if it turns to crap, it turns to crap. It's cooking, and I am sitting at the dentist office!

Funny thing is, when I BAKE the thing, I cook it first, but it has never turned mushy from being cooked for so long. If the Crockpot ruins it, it ruins it!

Okay. :) Well, if it turns to crap, it turns to crap. It's cooking, and I am sitting at the dentist office!

Funny thing is, when I BAKE the thing, I cook it first, but it has never turned mushy from being cooked for so long. If the Crockpot ruins it, it ruins it!

baking and cooking something in a crockpot are not the same thing

You know you can microwave it, right? It doesn't turn to paste. ;) Unless browning the rice first in butter molecularly changes the rice. :rotfl:

Microwaving it for 15 or 20 minutes is totally different than putting it in a crock pot for hours.

Microwaving it for 15 or 20 minutes is totally different than putting it in a crock pot for hours.

True. That's why I asked! I guess I found out too late! I doubt by the time I get home tonight, the chicken will be cooked, so if it's not, I can just make bake it the rest of the way, and make pulled chicken or something for DH to have for lunch. All I'll be id out $2 in boxed rice :rotfl:!

This is why I hate the Crockpot. Even in a pinch, it's hard to make anything but chili in it!

I frequently have Rice A Roni turn to mush on me in the skillet. Mainly if I'm not paying attention, surfing the net, and I let it cook too long. A few minutes over the 20 minute mark and it can get real mealy.

What's your recipe? Did you put extra liquid in? Because if you only put the amount listed on the rice-a-roni box, you might have a dried out, stuck on problem when you get home.

I haven't used rice-a-roni in the crock pot but what I've read is that it should go in 30 minutes before the end of cook time .

True. That's why I asked! I guess I found out too late! I doubt by the time I get home tonight, the chicken will be cooked, so if it's not, I can just make bake it the rest of the way, and make pulled chicken or something for DH to have for lunch. All I'll be id out $2 in boxed rice :rotfl:!

This is why I hate the Crockpot. Even in a pinch, it's hard to make anything but chili in it!

Really? I use my Crockpot at LEAST once a week and have never in my life made Chili in it. :confused3

Really? I use my Crockpot at LEAST once a week and have never in my life made Chili in it. :confused3
What do you make?

I've made GOOD pot roast and a Beer Beef Stew with success, oh, and a potato soup once, and chili... I made White/Chicken Chili before but it was mushy, and my CPot blogging friends recipe for apple pie and some stew (mushy, gross!)

I would love to utilize it, but never know what to put in there!

patiently :rolleyes1 waiting to find out how the "rice a roni/crock pot situation" works out popcorn:: --please update asap!!:surfweb:

my vote says it's mush :confused3

I just got home.

OMG, you all were right. DO NOT cook Rice A Roni in the Crockpot. It looks like something I can't post here on the Dis. ;) :sick:

It's going in the garbage and my friend is getting a Pot Pie from Costco! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter