Do my 5 and 7 DD's need strollers?

Stacey2grls

<font color=blue>Am currently on a "see food" diet
This is the question that has been plaguing me. They are both not big walkers, so I am fine with renting a double stroller for the parks. But what about DD Disney and for Port Orleans Riverside? This is our first trip, so I guess I'm paranoid. :cool1:

I visited WDW when my children were 7,2 and 4 mo.,I did rent a double stroller,we actually had a double stroller and a single for the smallest one, my daughter was a small 7 year old, but I would recommend it if your children can fit in one, it will save you and the kids a lot of tears, and I think it is a lot safer. I was paranoid too, I was really paranoid the first time we went, my oldest was 4 and the only child with us, I had one of those wrist bands attaching her to me as well as having her in a stroller. A little over kill:) I have visited Disney 10 times and still get so excited every time I am planning a trip. Hope this helps, have a great trip.

My kids are 7, 5 and 2. We could never survive without bringing our own double stroller. It's been a lifesaver. Some may say that they think it's too much trouble but we are not the ones lugging our tired children around out of the parks or through DD or around the hotel grounds - lol! Try to bring your own. You won't be sorry!!! :flower:

Stacey:
I'm guessing that with the age of your girls, you probably don't have your own stroller anymore. It is definitely worth it to rent one. We went when my girls were 3.5 and 5.5 and again when they were 5.5 and 7.5. I never even considered NOT renting one. You can move through the parks much faster at your pace than at theirs, and you will know where they are all the time. My girls didn't mind a bit. I told them it was their "carriage" because they were guests of honor!

If you still have one of your own or can get one at a resale shop fairly cheap, I would bring it. Having our own stroller to carry our DD and stuff out of the park and around the resort was worth it.

Our DS is 5.5 years old--we are definately taking the stroller (leaving tonight)--will gate check it so we can zip thru the airports, too. He would never keep up the pace all day and we are doing other "lotsa walking" activities, too. Stroller is a MUST for us.

I rented a stroller for my daughter until she was 7 years old. Sometimes we would park the stroller for an hour or two and she would walk until she got tired. She did not need her stroller at POR or Downtown Disney. :)

Please tell me that someone has pix of one of these double strollers.

I have a 2yr old and a 6 yr old. I was going to bring my stroller for the 2yr old but if I can rent a double stroller and let my 6yr old in, I will do it. My 6yr old is about 46" and 48lbs. Will she fit?

Thank you for the stroller pics! How much do they cost? Where exactly do you get them at MK? We'll be arriving early for CRT brkfast(i hope) with a 1 day pass.

I have a 2yr old and a 6 yr old. I was going to bring my stroller for the 2yr old but if I can rent a double stroller and let my 6yr old in, I will do it. My 6yr old is about 46" and 48lbs. Will she fit?

Rent the double. Yes, your DD6 will fit and DD2 may enjoy the company. I am taking a DD2 and DD8 and planning to get the double stroller. I KNOW that DD8 will be climbing in frequently to get a free ride. I have seen some rather petite-sized moms in those doubles, LOL. :rotfl2:

When we went last time with two 5 year olds, they rode almost the whole time in the double. They loved it. You will too, since they won't be whining and you'll know exactly where they are. I could go on and on about the merits of using a stroller, even for big kids, but I will restrain myself. If you rent one, take a colorful scarf or something you can tie onto the stroller so you can find it quickly in the sea of matching strollers. :)

Have fun.
Jackie :flower:

We are traveling w/ a 2.5dd and 5.5ds. ABSOLUTELY will have strollers...just not sure what's best.

Option #1: Bring 2 strollers from home. Downside...ds barely fits into the umbrella stroller but he does fit. Would allow us to use strollers outside the parks. He says it's ok...but he doesn't look real comfortable to me. :worried:

Option #2: Bring stroller for dd...and rent for ds. This way we have something for her at the bus lines and in the resorts....and I"m hoping he'll be more comfortable in the parks.

But now the question becomes....do I rent the double or the single?? Will he fit in the single??? He's 47" tall. And if I get the double....this will give him more room, but then she'll probably want to ride w/ him! :rolleyes:

Would love to hear more about size of children fitting into the single. Thank you!!!!

Mrs Ojo,
You sound like me with all the analysis, LOL :teeth: . I vote for DOOR #3 -- bringing your umbrella stroller from home for dd2 to be used for activities OTHER than going to the parks (like around the resort, DTD, etc). I'm assuming that DS5 is not opposed to walking on an "average" outing.

But, when going to the parks, I'd prefer to rent the double stroller. I wouldn't want to have two strollers -- NO WAY!!! I think that would be a mistake, unless you have more than two adults. What if you or DH wanted to run for the bathroom, or a fastpass and meet you somewhere. You or He would have to take one of the strollers. It would limit your options, IMHO. Plus, if your kids are like mine, they will prefer to be together.

The only downside of renting in the parks is that you will have to manage your DD2 to/from the buslines. It's the price you'd have to pay. I think it would be worth it. Good luck to you !! :cool1:

Disneyonmymind said:
Mrs Ojo,
You sound like me with all the analysis, LOL :teeth: . I vote for DOOR #3 -- bringing your umbrella stroller from home for dd2 to be used for activities OTHER than going to the parks (like around the resort, DTD, etc). I'm assuming that DS5 is not opposed to walking on an "average" outing.

But, when going to the parks, I'd prefer to rent the double stroller. I wouldn't want to have two strollers -- NO WAY!!! I think that would be a mistake, unless you have more than two adults. What if you or DH wanted to run for the bathroom, or a fastpass and meet you somewhere. You or He would have to take one of the strollers. It would limit your options, IMHO. Plus, if your kids are like mine, they will prefer to be together.

The only downside of renting in the parks is that you will have to manage your DD2 to/from the buslines. It's the price you'd have to pay. I think it would be worth it. Good luck to you !! :cool1:

Thanks Jackie. I know. I laughed as I was writing it all down! I think I seriously need to find a Disneyaholics support group around here!!! :rolleyes: I too think dd will prefer to be w/ ds in a double...it's just the naps I'm really thinking of. And yes, 2 separate strollers can present problems...although it is also helpful if you split off in diff't directions which we did do a couple of times last trip. Lots of pros and cons. But this time they're both a little older....and if we did split up, I'm sure ds could walk for that portion. (Just like he would on the other non Disney "rest" days.

Hey, I still have 50 something days til we leave...just think how many iterations I can come up w/ before then!!! :earseek:

My wife and I have decited not to get a stroller for our two DS 7 & 5
We are a family of hikers and think nothing of doing a 3 mile stroll in the White mountains. We figure with the stopping to ride rides and shows we should be in shape to walk around Disney. We have been in training for our trip by walking a couple of miles at the local mall every weekend.

I am a big supporter of renting the double stroller. With a 5 & 7 yo, I personally think you'll be ok at the resort and dtd without a stroller. So you might not need to bring one from home anymore. But in the parks--absolutely! I got a double for my 4 yo because i knew the 8 yo would want to hop in also. She fit and she's on the tall side. This was especially nice in Epcot -- it's such a big park, even my active kids got worn out. The stroller really made a difference. Without stroller = kinda cranky after a couple of hours in the heat. With stroller = happy as a clam :flower:

If you'll be there multiple days, make sure you get a multi-day stroller rental. It will save you money and time each day.

Mrs. Ojo,
I agree -- If I could recover all of the time I lost on the net doing my Disney research. . . :sad2: I hadn't thought of the possibility of you and DH splitting off, each with one child. That could happen, especially if the little one falls asleep. There's just no perfect solution, gosh durn it,

50 days, wow, how exciting :cool1:
Have fun!

Hi!

Though I know you decided not to rent the strollers...I wanted to add one other piece of info about them.

While your family may be big hikers (ours is too!) we found out that in a busy park, when there is not a seat to be found, it was wonderful to have our own little place for the kids to "park it". In fact when the kids were all out on a ride and I was wanting to enjoy an icecream, we were in Animal Kingdom, where there was very little shade, not a seat to be found, and I was totally wiped out after four days of touring parks non-stop. I had rented the stroller "just in case" , as the kids were starting to show small signs of park hopping wear and tear. However, I am the one who benefited most, as I was able to park the stroller out of the way, plop myself in it put my 6 year old on my lap and eat my ice cream under the awning as i people watched. Walking is one thing, but when you want to take a break, and there is no place to sit...standing still can be harder on your feet and back than walking!

Also, the strollers were great for putting purchases, water bottles, snacks, etc....

Just another tidbit for those considering the strollers...
:mickeybar
Susan

:wave: How funny! We were there in May 2001 and I remember seeing a few moms in the double strollers. I was jealous, of course. :rotfl2: Maybe one of them was you. :teeth:

Next trip, I may be fighting my DD8 to ride in the double with my DD2. Of course, I'll have to lose a few pounds first. ;)

My kids are a little younger 4 and almost 3 but i highly recommend strollers. I have been inthe park with a group of kids and they all wanted to ride in the stroller the only way we could have toured was to rent an extra double otherwise they would have been fighting over the stroller the whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter