• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

do most people do this booking a full week??

dis2cruise

Long Island, NY
we are taking my dd and a few of her friends to dw next yaar for her sweet 16 as her birthday gift instead of a party.

we are planning on a full week and we will need a 2 bedroom villa. I have been reading about people who don't stay in their villa (friday/saturday) because of saving points and head to another resort. is this very common?? we were thinking of going in late august next year.

I'm planning on renting points for next year for 8 nights and I really couldnt do with the hassle of moving resorts and packing again, we take a lot of luggage as there are 5 of us.

Because of the high weekend point costs, many DVCers book Sunday to Friday morning. It's whatever you want. People say how easy it is to move, Disney transports the luggage for you, you go to a park or where ever you chose, and when you get to check in at the new resort, your bags will be delivered.

I'll be trying that system in September. I'm moving, SSR to AKV to BCV, not to save points, there are 3 weekend nights in my stay, but to try different resorts for the different things we want to do.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I'm another one who books for the full week. Weekend nights are higher points but when I initially figured out how many points I need to purchase I based it on the way we normally travel to wdw. Which is 7 nights at 1 resort.

I'm another one who books for the full week. Weekend nights are higher points but when I initially figured out how many points I need to purchase I based it on the way we normally travel to wdw. Which is 7 nights at 1 resort.
Same here.

I personally hate moving in the middle of a vacation. Disney may move your luggage for you, but I still have to pack and unpack (including food), and besides that, check out is 11 am and check in is after 4 pm. I do not like being without a room for a good portion of the day and we are usually just 2 adults. I would think that being "homeless" with young children could be a problem.

If you look at the point cost on a weekly basis, it doesn't seem so bad to stay on Friday or Saturday nights. That said, if we are visiting non-Disney attractions, we often stay off site near those attractions for the first weekend or last weekend. No sense paying the extra points if you don't have to, lol.

we are planning on a full week and we will need a 2 bedroom villa. I have been reading about people who don't stay in their villa (friday/saturday) because of saving points and head to another resort. is this very common?? we were thinking of going in late august next year.

We are doing this approach starting next weekend. We are checking into AllStarSports in 2 adjoining bedrooms for Fri/Sat nights for the 4 of us and then on Sunday checking into a dedicated 2 bedroom at SSR for the next 5 nights.

For the past few years we have only been able to go for long weekends. As a result, we've been burning up a lot of points on Fridays and Saturdays. But I don't mind because it's worth it to have my young adult "kids" with me.

Most of our reservations are for 7-10 nights in one place. Twice we've tried the "move to another resort" thing -- but it was only to try a different DVC location; we were still using DVC points for weekend stays.

We typically stay 13 nights, Sunday through Saturday. We do spend the points to stay over the middle Friday and Saturday nights, as well as the last Friday night. Packing, moving, and unpacking isn't something we'd want to do in the middle of our vacation.

We're relatively new members (joined in Nov. 2007), but here is our basic strategy. We plan to typically arrive on Saturday evening, where we will use our Starwood Preferred Guest points to stay for 1 night at the Dolphin. Then we'll move over to the DVC resort of our choice for the remaining 6 nights in a 1 BR there. That helps stretch our points a bit (we bought the 160 point minimum), though we still have to use the points for 1 DVC weekend night.

I considered the high weeekend points when buying in also. I usually stay from Thursday til Wednesday.

I hate moving. I am on vacation and have better things to do (like NOTHING, for instance). When doing a stay of longer than a week, I might try to include only 1 weekend to conserve points, but we have never changed rooms or resorts to avoid weekend rates. However, I totally understand that saving points may be a necessity for some folks, and many actually LIKE changing resorts. To each her own. Have fun, whatever you choose!

We dont change resorts on weekends other than ending out trips at the Hard Rock Hotel over at US/IOA

We moved on two different trips when we first bought in. We added more points, moving isn't my idea of "vacation."

When we initially purchased our points, we purchased enough for a 2BR during Magic Season (316) at SSR. We did this knowing that we probably wouldn't use all those points in one year. We have always stayed in a 1BR for 7 to 10 days. We're from NY and with the cost of travel its easier to go for one long period rather than 2 or more shorter periods. I find it relaxing to know that once you unpack you're there for the duration of your trip. To move for only 1 or 2 days seems very disruptive and unrelaxing.:mad:

We always move. We actually enjoy it. We usually stay Sun.-Thu. in one DVC resort, spend the weekend at a non-DVC resort and then spend Sun.-Thu. in a second DVC resort. That way we get to experience different DVC properties plus one of the others. We have used points on the weekend a couple of times, and will be doing so for this year's Dec. trip, but usually we move.

We're "movers" too. We purchased enough points to include the weekends, but usually try to save them for a long weekend midway through the year.

We usually go on a Friday and stay at a regular resort. Pack up Sunday morning and head to a park, stopping by the DVC location to check in. We leave the park at lunch and go food shopping. Usually, by then our room is ready.

We travel light so it's no big deal.

NO moving for me. I bought enough points to accommodate my Weekend trips. That was the whole point of DVC for me. A nice spacious 1 bedroom villa to enjoy while at WDW with my DH.

We just joined last May and have not a chance to stay at our resort. But we scheduled our stay Sunday and Checking out on Saturday. We will driving and getting in sometime on Saturday. So we wouldn't use the points we have reservations at a non-dvc resort. But before we joined our vacations were normally Sunday - Friday. We use the weekends to travel. We will see how we do on moving to a different resort, but we are just planning on one small bag for the first night so don't have to unpack everything.

I thinking moving sounds like a lot of work. We are buying enough points to stay weekends as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter