do most DCL cruisers get the insurance

ellenmiele

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Just wondering what most folks do. Do you get the DCL "vacation protection plan" or not?

I always book any trip I go on, on my Visa. As long as you pay for the entire trip with it (it doesn't have to be all at once) I have insurance included with any trip I take.

It is something you may want to look into with your credit card, because in my case I have saved hundreds, not having to pay extra for insurance. Every card I'm sure is different, but the one I have is amazing that way.

I always get insurance but I get it on my own with insuremytrip.com. I think we have picked a Travelex policy both times but I can't remember. It is cheaper than going through DCL and we can include our pre-cruise days/transportation as well with an outside policy.

I always get it. I'm too much of a chicken not to, because I know with certainty that the first time I book without insurance.....murphy's law!

We always buy insurance, but not through Disney. I find that I can find better coverage elsewhere!

We don't buy through DCL but always get travel insurance through TravelGuard anytime we cruise or travel internationally - even just trips to Canada due to medical insurance issues. Travel "experts" are saying for the summer, all travelers may want to look at TI due to the airline issues.

We have bought the disney both times. Seemed like too big of a risk without it. I did not realize you could buy it from other places. Amazing all of the stuff I learn on these boards!:goodvibes

We have bought the disney both times. Seemed like too big of a risk without it. I did not realize you could buy it from other places. Amazing all of the stuff I learn on these boards!:goodvibes

I actually sell travel medical insurance, and find that Disney's insurance has very low coverage. I'm not entirely sure of the medical insurance coverage, but just as an example I believe it is under $100 000. The coverage I sell is up to $5 million, so that is a huge difference. $100 000 is quite low compared to some of the claims I have seen. :scared1:

I haven't done any looking into the Disney cancellation/interruption/baggage coverage because I feel that medical is the defining one... but all are very important. :wizard:

Being new to the cruise world last December, I didn't know what it was when asked I just declined, didn't want to spend money for insurance. When I told my husband, he was like WHAT? why didn't you? I tried to book it after and I couldn't because my trip had already been paid in full.

This time I did! The medical and emergency transport is what we are worried about most.

Same about passports, better safe than sorry, just in case we needed to be flown back to the states for an emergency we have them.

Some of us never get insurance for any trip. The cruise I scheduled was one of the few I was tempted, but still did not.

There are a few factors that keep me away from travel insurance:
+ the high price
+ What exactly is covered? read the fine print, you may think your covered. Example: you are buying it because you know you have a medical condition that might require canceling - you probably are not covered (pre-existing condition). Are you covered while parasailing - possibly not - you are doing a dangerous activity. Hurricane is coming, you decide to cancel, cruise happens anyway - may not be covered, you made the decision not to go.
+ some things are already covered by credit card, homeowners, or other insurance you already carry.

Consumer Reports- Travel insurance: Why you rarely need it
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/money/insurance/travel-insurance-5-07/overview/0507_travel_ov.htm

We, always get the insurance. This last trip I'm sorry to say it paid off. I became ill, complications of dibetes, to the tune of over $590.00. The infirmary staff was excellent. Upon my return, I submitted the bill to my Medical insurance, they took several months to process and finally pay a protion of the expenses, I submitted the rest to trip insurance and got a check for the balance, no questions asked (proper documentation), in just a couple of weeks. The insurance paid for itself. :sick: :thumbsup2

Our party of 8 got it through Travel Guard for our Cruise in Jan. 08.

We get to CapeCanaveral on Sat for the Sunday departure and everything is perfect :) :) Then at 3 am on Sunday morning, my mom calls my hotel room and something was the matter with my dad. He had both a stroke & heart attack and spent 5 days in the Cape Canaveral hospital.

Dh went on the boat with his parents & our two kids and I stayed back, because all we knew is that there was no way they were letting my dad out of the hospital when it was time to get on the boat.

They paid for all additional airfare expense, shuttle expenses, tip, and hotel + lost cruise :) My dad's medical insurance has covered everthing else 100%, so we didn't use it for the medical part.

You may wonder while reading this story what it has to do with a DCL cruise but it's to explain why we always buy trip insurance when ever we fly or do something on vacation that can't be rescheduled (like a cruise, even though this is our first)

On September 14, 2001, we were scheduled to leave to drive to Charleston, SC to deliver our son's car to him at Goose Creek Naval Station. We were flying home from SC & had bought our airline tickets through Priceline. When we left home, we were told that even though they had no idea whether planes would be back in the air by the time we were scheduled to leave Charleston, if we were not on our flight, we'd lose our money. There would only be a refund if flights were still being canceled. Because of this, we drove to Charleston not knowing if we were going to have a way back home or not. Planes were back in the air 2 days before we flew home. Our 747 out of Atlanta had 12 people TOTAL on the flight.

That was a little too close for us, so we now buy the insurance.

Karla in Kansas
Our 30th Anniversary cruise - Disney Magic Western Carribean - May 30, 2009

I need help with this...for some reason, DU didn't add trip insurance to 2 of my reservations ( B2B cruise, 2 staterooms) and I have paid it in full and now can't add it...this is VERY upsetting to me since it is my mothers reservation and she has COPD and is 71..so she could get sick (although she is not symptomatic). I never would have paid her off early had I known that it wasn't on the reservation

I was kinda surprised at the prices $300 for a week? I don't even know how much DCL's insurance is since I always get it and it is in the price..anyone use the DCL's Access America policy on their own?

I need help with this...for some reason, DU didn't add trip insurance to 2 of my reservations ( B2B cruise, 2 staterooms) and I have paid it in full and now can't add it...this is VERY upsetting to me since it is my mothers reservation and she has COPD and is 71..so she could get sick (although she is not symptomatic). I never would have paid her off early had I known that it wasn't on the reservation

I was kinda surprised at the prices $300 for a week? I don't even know how much DCL's insurance is since I always get it and it is in the price..anyone use the DCL's Access America policy on their own?

Did you ever look at your reservation on-line at the DU site? There are fields that are marked "yes" or "no" for Trip Insurance, Transfers, and Air? :confused3

I didn't notice it on my mom's until it was too late..it never occured to me that it wouldn't be there since my reservations have it and I always have bought it with every other cruise and trip I have taken

We buy trip insurance, but we don't do it though Disney. We book it separately. It is worth it, you never know what can happen. On our cruise in December, DH's glasses were blown off his face. We got them replaced in St. Thomas, and our trip insurance covered $300.00 of it.

Can you book using one of the other ins. sites mentioned?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter