• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do many people book separate airlines for each trip?

bande

Mouseketeer
I am looking at flight times and rates for Jet Blue and Southwest. I can get flights from Buffalo to MCO on Southwest going with the perfect times for $108 and return flight with Jet Blue at perfect times for $104 - but we are not regular travellers so I am concerned with dealing with 2 different airlines since I am booking online. Do many people do this? Is it easier to stick with 1 airline so you become familiar with them and their policies? What if you can book one flight but then not the other since you can only do 1 at a time? ANy thoughts? Thanks for the help.

It's not an issue doing this. Just keep the flights straight, whom your flying with and when, flight numbers and stuff....which airline you can take so many checked bags with. It's not a problem to take one airline one way, and other back. If it saves you money, and better times, do what is best for you. I have done that in the past as well. They are both great airlines. Just go to their websites and read up about them. They are pretty similar, the big difference is in the checked luggage. SW you get 2 bags, JB you get 1.

We did this in 2009 and are doing it again for Christmas 2011- prices and/or times worked out better. We are flying Southwest down and Jet Blue home. Biggest difference for us as well is the 2 free checked bags per person with Southwest and Jet Blue the one each. Last time we were Southwest for the way home so actually bought another suitcase at a flea market to bring stuff home in. I like Jet Blue better because of assigned seats and the tvs. There were no issues using 2 different airlines. I don't like having to get up and come home really early.......but I like to get to Florida really early and Southwest had a flight non stop that leaves Buffalo at 5:55 am!!!

In the past, I have booked separate airlines based on price and it worked great! The serendipity is that we normally travel in December and travel can get hampered by bad weather. If we have a cruise booked, I arrange for air travel for a Thursday to coincide with a Saturday sailing date. That way, if the flight is cancelled due to bad weather, we can still (carefully) drive south to the port to still catch our ship. It may be touch and go, but we'd still make it.
For the return, since we have separate bookings for air, DW can still travel with kids via air, and I would catch up in the van, taking my time.

As said above ... its not a problem. I do this all the time. I simply shop for the best deal.

The price is per each way anyway, so why not!? :)
If they charge less for roundtrip tickets like international flights, then I would book with the same airline.

I do this all the time.

For my upcoming trip in December, i'm flying with Continental on the way down south and WestJet on the way home. Saved a fair bundle of cash this way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter