• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do many of you DVCers go to Univeral regularly while visiting WDW?

I started to go to US/IOA last year when they offer the annual pass (AAA-South) for $99.

there are good things about the park and bad things - the trees are finally grown enough to help with the sun - so that is much better - the park was very clean - the CM's were pretty good - but it is not Disney.

I was kind of disappointment with some of their stuff - their tornado for one - (I live in ALA we have tornados ) was very disappointing - no where near as bad as a tornados can be and I really expect more from their built up. a kid ride really - not scarey.

IOA if you a teenager is almost a must - Disney is "old hat" -

I do love SW - I still get a thrill when I feed a dolphin - silly - but I do!!! and I just love to give some fish food to a child - who isn't feeding them and watch the kids faces light up then they feed them.

On our last two trips to WDW (staying at DVC) we have made a single-day trip to IOA. On our last trip we did both IOA and US in one day.

We enjoy the rollercoasters at IOA and have always gone off season when its no problem to see both parks in one day. I wouldn't want to go if there were any kind of crowds.

We are just starting a family (expecting first in June) and this will most likely change the way we do Orlando. I didn't see as much for little kids at IOA and US so we might not return for a few years. But I am sure we will return.

Parks were clean. You can tell they are trying to match Disney in quality of service but they don't quite make it. Some of the rides are great...Hulk & Dueling Dragons at IOA... Men in Black at US.

Originally posted by jade1
Most of our trips include 2 nights (weekends) at either Universal or Clearwater. That gives another full week for the same amount of points as the weekend would use-plus FOTL at both Universal parks is great. We would go there even if we did stay the whole week at WDW because of the coasters and Spiderman, FOTL and saving the points just makes it a slam dunk.

Thanks for the idea! I've stayed at Clearwater as trip by itself & tacking it on as a 3 day vacation for cash, not points is a wonderful idea...Vero would be too expensive to use as a weekend destination.

Universal...I have always felt that US was superior to MGM. And I never bothered to equate it to all 4 Disney parks...because what would be the point? IOA...as a forty something adult I found it slightly disappointing. The theming and in some cases the story line (Atlantis or whatever that ride is called) could use work. But the rides are awesome. In this case there is no Disney park I'd equate to it...there isn't one...it would be like trying to equate SeaWorld to the Living Seas...why would you?

US/IOA and SeaWorld are alternate destinations for me. Every other year I make a point of going there with a side trip to Disney...maybe. Disney years the most I might do is go shopping or go into City Walk...because it has a more exciting nighttime feel than DTD.

I notice I didn't answer the question...it would be highly unlikely that I would use DVC as a home base for Universal.

We will get the Orlando Flex pass every other year or so. It gives us 14 days in US,IOA,Seaworld & Wet-n-Wild. There is also a flex pass that includes Busch Gardens in Tampa. While these attractions can never be mistaken for Disney, they are still a lot of fun, (but of of course I also enjoy- GASP- International Drive).

Thanks for all your replies.

After reading all the posts, I decided to stay at WDW the whole time, since we are not the coaster type and my kids are too little to take full advantage of the parks there, and also save some $ on buying additional passes.

With our slow pace, we will have plenty to do at WDW and BCV. I am really looking forward to going to Stormalong Bay again, and have the kids feed the ducks on the Boardwalk.

:D

We'll go to Universal once every 3-4 years, just to have a look-see.
As for I/A--went once and will never go again. LOUD, dirty, no control by the CM's, hordes of teen/preteens running all over the place. Can't honestly recall seeing anyone (except us) over the age of 16:)
And those CM's--words like "deadbeat", "lackluster" and "vacant" spring to mind. I/A has scraped the bottom of the manpower barrel, for sure.

**I/A has scraped the bottom of the manpower barrel, for sure.

No doubt. But boy, those rides sure are incredible...

We always go to USF and IOA! We even stay at their hotels for a few nights so that we can get the "front of the line access". This is a great perk, especially at peak times like Easter and Presidents week.
They have great rides, especially for those looking for more extreme rides. I have NOT had a problem with the people who work there. USF, IOA have excellent customer relations. We were unhappy with something at one of their hotels and were given two free nights and also discounts on our second room. We didn't ask for it, it was just given to us. I have not run into problems with line jumpers or anything else. We have even been lucky enough to ride on their floats for the Halloween parade and the Mardis Gras.:)
CityWalk is a great place to eat, and grab a few drinks. I like it better than Pleasure Island, the only thing it doesn't have is a Comedy Club.( Which I enjoy at Pleasure Island.) I don't see it as a Disney vs Universal. I see it as a vacation destination and I am willing to go and do lots of other things besides just Disney.;)

If i want the coaster ride- I go to six flags or visit my cousin and go to cedar point. I must say there is nothing like cedar point- its an awesome place. Even IOA cannot compare to cedar point. That being said I enjoy the big U.
I haven't been to SW in a while though, I'll have to hit that soon.

Joe in CT

Originally posted by jcodespoti
I must say there is nothing like cedar point- its an awesome place. Even IOA cannot compare to cedar point.

Joe in CT

Joe,
I agree with what you said about Cedar Point.We are only 2 hours away (Sandusky,Oh).I have been telling people that for years.Cedar Point is the best park in the USA for coasters
biggrinyoyoa.gif
.WDW,IOA,Six Flags,etc can't even come close to CP. We go at least twice a summer.

No offense and not a debate but.........
Six flags parks are the dirtiest , most over priced parks. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel!:eek: They have no concern for customer satisfaction whatsoever!
We have also been to Cedar Point, it's true, they are an amazing coaster park, but they too lack any atmosphere, many of their workers don't even speak english, and talk about rude!

Originally posted by AnnK
No offense and not a debate but.........
Six flags parks are the dirtiest , most over priced parks. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel!:eek: They have no concern for customer satisfaction whatsoever!
We have also been to Cedar Point, it's true, they are an amazing coaster park, but they too lack any atmosphere, many of their workers don't even speak english, and talk about rude!

AnnK,
I agree with your Six Flags comment(dirty),CP employs college age kids. In all the times I have been there(over 50 times) I have yet to run into a worker not speaking english.But CP is just as clean and organized as WDW parks.There isn't much atmosphere compared to WDW.

ncligs,
We visited CP in June of 2001. The park was clean, the food was good, and (by park standards )not expensive. The coasters were incredible. It did lack atmosphere and theming. It did seem to us that there were a large amount of employees who did not speak English very well. They were usually at the small concession stands. The reason it was a problem for us was that it was our first time visiting CP and sometimes we needed directions. It was very hard to understand them, and they would get frustarated because we did not understand them.
We have visited many parks, and would not hesitate to go back to CP, in fact our kids want to return this summer :) , Six Flags though is a different story, they have great rides, but between the filth, the over- pricing and in general the overall lack of customer satisfaction, we won't go back.

Originally posted by AnnK
Six Flags though is a different story, they have great rides, but between the filth, the over- pricing and in general the overall lack of customer satisfaction, we won't go back.

AnnK
We said the same about Six Flags 2 years ago,my company(GM) picnic was there.Teenagers were with out shirts(boys;) ), restrooms were almost "un-useable"
Flush.gif
We will never go back, even though it is only 45 minutes from our house(Six Flags-Geauga,Oh).

Cedar Points - this brings back really old memories.

When I was going to school in Michigan (Ann Arbor), many of my friends would go together to Cedar Points. I never got a chance to go. Maybe one of these days.......

I have been to WDW 5 or 6 times, but in April 2002, my brother and I went to WDW and I finally went to US/IOA. I was 35, he was 37. We really liked IOA -- it has rides that my wife typically won't ride. Our favorites were Spiderman, The Hulk, and Dueling Dragons. As for US, our favorite had to be Men In Black.

I probably won't go back to US/IOA for a couple of years until our kids are older (2-1/2 yr old DD and 1 yr old DS). I think they would really like the Seuss Landing part of IOA!

During our last trip in June 2002, we had a room at Portofino Bay for one night at an Entertainment rate of about $150. We did not use the PB room for sleeping and continued to stay at our 2BR at OKW but were able to get front of the line privileges for our whole party for 2 days (check in day and check-out day). We did use our PB room to change into swimsuits and enjoyed the PB pool and ate dinner at one of the PB restaurants. There are several area in which Universal is superior to Disney. The food at the restaurants is generally better than Disney restaurants. We have eaten many times at the best restaurants at Disney but Disney has nothing close to Mythos at IOA. As far as rides and shows, the theming at Disney is generally better, but there are several outstanding attractions at Universal such as Spiderman, Men in Black and the Terminator show. The rooms at PB are also nicer and more comfortable than comparable accomodations at Disney-- better beds, blankets pillows, bigger bathrooms, plusher towels. This year we are using points for 4 nights at VB and spending 4 nights at PB in 2 connecting rooms (unlike Disney Universal will guarantee connecting rooms if you insist). While we still love DVC, there are enough good things about Universal to experience them from time to time.

We have stayed at DVC resorts for two or three times each year since joining in1998. Our children are now 21 and 15 and they like most kids this age greatly prefer the thrill rides at universal. We stayed at Hard Rock for the first time three years ago and now book two rooms every time we come for at least the fri/sat nights when dvc points are outrageous. We love the HR Hotel as much as any disney option if not more. The front of the line express pass far exceeds the disney fast pass. There is no set time to go just walk up show your room key and you're in the express line. You don't have to wait hours and come back nor are you limited on using it at other rides.

Originally posted by sadler
The food at the restaurants is generally better than Disney restaurants. We have eaten many times at the best restaurants at Disney but Disney has nothing close to Mythos at IOA

I would have to STRONGLY disagree with this. We tried mythos because it was the "place to go" and found the food to be very average. Things that sounded good were just not really all that good at all. I'll give you that we have never been close to as disappointed by a disney restaurant as we were by Mythos.

Lisa

We go every few years. I'm well over 16 and I liked IOA, especially the Spiderman and Hulk rides.

I've been mulling over adding on a night or two at Universal to our June VWL trip. From your comments, it's looking like it might be a plan.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter