• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

do kids come to birthday parties during week?

disney_girl125

Mouseketeer
I'm going to Disney in December so i'm trying to be very frugal! My son is turning 6 in March and he wants a birthday party with all the kids from his class. We've decided we're going to do it at a moon bounce place. His birthday happens to be on a Monday during the schools spring break. Do you think if I booked it on that day from 1:15pm-3:15pm anyone would actually come? I don't know the other parents so I can't ask them ahead of time! I just will send the invitations to school and hope for the best. By booking it on a Monday I would be saving $35. Otherwise I could pay the $35 more and do it on a Saturday. I have to give the deposit now, so I have to pick the day now.

There are 2 things to consider. One if the other families might be doing vacay during the break or two, if the other parents are stuck working and the kids are left with babysitters. I'd just cough up the $35. :) Happy early birthday to your DS!

the things you mentioned. So, if I do it the Saturday before his birthday the kids would already be on Spring break. So, if I pick a Saturday I guess I better do it a week before his actual birthday?

We are invited to parties during every break. If they are away, they miss the party - no big deal. A lot of working parents I know ask another parent to take their child if they are working. I just usually ask the parents of my kids' closest friends if they are going away.

the things you mentioned. So, if I do it the Saturday before his birthday the kids would already be on Spring break. So, if I pick a Saturday I guess I better do it a week before his actual birthday?

That sounds like a good idea :) If you're having to pay for a certain amount of children ahead of time (like some places have invite up to 12 kids for x dollars), then it would be good to have at least that many possibly coming. You don't want to end up paying for 12 kids on spring break and have 7 show up, KWIM?

If you're close with some of the families or if your DS has a few fave friends in the class, ask them if they'd be open that weekend and go from there :) DD #1 has a birthday over the long winter break and the poor kid always has to move her birthday plans since everyone is away in that time period :laughing:

I would be more concerned about having the party during spring break than the during the week problem. Lot of people travel during that time or kids with parents who work may be staying at grandma for a day or 2 for child care reasons.

We jsut had our daughters party on a Friday night after school from 6:30-8:30 and it worked out great. All invited guests came and a few commeted on how nice it was not to take up a weekend afternoon but also not school night.

It was also great because it gave us a weekend to "recover" and relax beofre going back to work Monday.

I would do it the week before spring break.

My sons birthday always falls during spring break. If I have his party during spring break, even on a weekend, it is always a low turnout. If I have it the weekend ending spring break it is usually a decent turnout (as people are starting to come back).

If it's something where I have to pay by the child and it's pricy I do it during spring break. He usually gets a 5-10 kids which I feel is plenty. If it's something where I pay x $$ for 15 kids or whatever I will do it the weekend before or after spring break when kids aren't out of town. Last year I did ice skating and I did it on a Saturday during spring break. Poor kid only had like 3 friends come. I would have canceled but I got a great deal on the party at a school auction. I let the siblings skate as well (ice skating) and he truely didn't notice that there were not very many kids. He was just happy to be skating.

My DD bday is Dec 26th....we have a small family meal. We have an actual birthday party with her friends in Mid-January. We have found that no one is around or willing to add coming to a birthday pary during the busy holiday season. Plus a lot of people simply are not around.
I personally would have a very difficult time getting my child to a week day birthday party in the middle of the day as I work full time.
I would advise to have the party on the weekend or a Friday early evening. If at all possible avoid the spring break week.

I'd go for the Friday evening as it doesn't take up an afternoon, not everyone has left town yet, and most families probably don't have to worry about how their child would get to the party.

We don't ever go anywhere during the week, as school takes precedence, but this is during Spring Break, so that, as others have mentioned, is the bigger deal. I'm sure some people will be away, and won't be able to attend. Those who aren't away, but have different childcare arrangements, and so you can't expect grandma or a neigbhor to bring the child to a party either.

If you really want it then, you need to be prepared for a very low crowd, if not, move it to another day. Birthdays don't need to be celebrated on the actual day.

Good luck, Tiger :)

I'm going to Disney in December so i'm trying to be very frugal! My son is turning 6 in March and he wants a birthday party with all the kids from his class. We've decided we're going to do it at a moon bounce place. His birthday happens to be on a Monday during the schools spring break. Do you think if I booked it on that day from 1:15pm-3:15pm anyone would actually come? I don't know the other parents so I can't ask them ahead of time! I just will send the invitations to school and hope for the best. By booking it on a Monday I would be saving $35. Otherwise I could pay the $35 more and do it on a Saturday. I have to give the deposit now, so I have to pick the day now.

I've done my kids younger birthdays during the week with no problems. My daughter turned six this month and we did it at a jumping place on a weekday afternoon. No one said no. My concern would be the school break.

As a kid, a lot of my friends had parties on weekdays when school was in session, just during the afternoon after school. Or when there was an early release day and we got out at noon, there would be a party. My best b-day party was a Wednesday! We had supper and cake at my house, then went roller skating. Wednesdays was bargain day at the rink. We were older (I think it was my 9th or 10th b-day), but I'd think an afternoon party on a school day would be fine for your child's age as well.

Our local bounce place, BounceU, doesn't honor the rduced pricing during the week if school is on vacation, so check into that, if it applies you may not have as big of a decision to make, good luck!

My sons' birthdays usually fall on Spring Break too, and we try not to plan their parties for that weekend. Simply because no one is around and it's disappointing to have a big party and only have a handful of people come.

What we started doing is having the party a week before or after spring break and it works so much better. Most recently, we rolled the dice on our daughter's party last weekend. We also wanted the moon bounce place (Pump it Up) but were cringing at the $350 price for a Saturday/ Sunday rate. Weekdays were $275 so we decided on a Friday night party from 7-8:30. It was AWESOME! Out of the 25 kids we could invite (maximum), only two could not make it. It was great, and parents had a chance to grab dinner while their child played and got worn out jumping in bouncers! I was so worried we'd get low rsvp's due to the Friday night factor, but honestly, I think we had better turnout because we weren't competing with soccer games, sibling activities, or family time on the weekend.

I worked for three years at a "moon bounce" place and our busiest times were during vacations! Im sure you will have a good turnout even if it is on a weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter