Do I really need insurance? And who has made a claim successfully?

So I took a moment to review everything on this thread, went to the website insuremytrip.com and then called and spoke with the agent. I did not buy mine on the website, I added it with my trip. My plan cost $232 for the three of us nad the others online that were not as comprehensive were $169-$200.

Here's how some the site websites as stated above versus the travel agencies insurance works. I will use my plan for example to the ones on the website if this helps you with your decision.

The maximum medical is $50K no matter how many people are on the plan, on mine plan it's $50K times 3 of us.

If I have a loss everything must be claimed after I return home.

If my flight is delayed due to weather or something listed on the package up to 3 hours, I can claim up to the amount I paid for the trip and get reimbursed. Other plans you must miss 24 consecutive hours.

Some plans let you reschedule for a later date, my plan allows me to get the money back and then rebook or do what I want with the money.

I do have $500 of emergency cash available to me, if needed.

She gave me lots of other details but every scenario cannot be covered so if you have a particular question. Call them, preview the plan, write notes, compare and feel free to PM me.

Tootles - 68 days! :hourglass

We have only had great experiences with Insuremytrip.com. On the EB Repo, both my daughter and I had to see the medical teem.... I had the beginning of a sinus infection, my daughter had conjuctivitis.

The cost we had to pay up front, was more than $300! We got home and I called TravelInsured and they emailed me the form to fill out. It was not that bad, and I sent it in with the documents they asked for. Within 3 weeks, I had my check, in full. Plus I did not have to wait for Blue Cross to deny coverage.:)

IMHO, you should always pay the small premium for travel insurance. As other threads and posters can attest to: the cancellation rules for DCL or any other cruise line are pretty well laid out and adhered to. I can't afford not to see my thousands of dollars back should we not be able to cruise.

I am wondering about trip insurance...we have never taken it out before...we are doing the 7 night cruise in October and are flying in on the Saturday mornining the cruise leaves. We leave Minneapolis at 5am on Delta, layover for 50 minutes in Atlanta and then arrive just after 11am in Orlando. We have never been delayed heading to Orlando before, but of course this would be the one time it would happen...does travelers insurance cover those flight delays?!?

We bought trip insurance for the first time a few years ago for our first cruise. We didn't have a delay but our flight out of MHT was canceled due to weather, we ended up driving back home thinking we were going to have to cancel the cruise :sad: (we were flying in 2 days early and the only flights available that we could rebook on were the day of our cruise and they were cutting it too close)...as it turns out, after we got home, I found flights on JetBlue out of Boston that got us there in time enough for the cruise. And coming back BOS was closed for 2 days due to a blizzard so we were stuck in Florida for 3 days (which is fine when it's warm but they were having the coldest temps they'd had in 2 years:sad2:).

We bought the insurance through the cruiseline and within 4-5 weeks we had a check from them for all of our added expenses so I was very pleased at how quick and painless the claims process was.

After our first cruise I found that you could buy trip insurance independently for less money so since then I've always used TravelGuard (I only buy trip insurance for cruises).

There truly is so much to compare. I have used the website quotewright.com twice. I luckily haven't had to file a claim, but I have had to call and ask questions and their customer service is great.

We chose Worldwide Trip Protector Lite Expanded from Travel Insured international. Pre existing conditions covered if you buy the policy within 14 days after making deposit, cancellation coverage because of illness w/ doctors note notification must be received before departure (this is important because some policies require you to notify them 48 to 72 hours before departure), evacuation coverage, cancellation for job loss/layoffs, trip interruption, etc. It truly was not that much cheaper than Disney's coverage, maybe $30 difference, but it was better coverage.

Just do lots of side by side comparisions once you start reading the fine print on these policies, you'll get an idea of all the "what ifs." You just need to figure out which "what if" is the most important to you.

Around 40K to be airlifted off the ship for medical...... FYI, insurance covers it.
If your child required medical attention not available on board the $150. would be well spent.
Something to be said for peace of mind.

Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter