Do I really need a Fantasmic dinner ADR?

ConnecticutNonna

DIS Veteran
Hello all! DH and I will be at WDW in December. We have planned our HS night after a level 3 crowd day at MK, and plan to hop to HS for Osbourne lights and a few attractions and Fantasmic. It is considered a level 6 for HS that evening. Do I really really really need the Fantasmic ADR? Or would we pretty much be able to get into F without sweating it? We plan on walking to Contemporary to get the HS bus to save a little time, but I would rather do a CS meal to save even more time and use FP+ for TSM and also catch Belle on stage. What say y'all? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The theater is really big. If you aren't obsessing about getting that "perfect" seat, (assuming such a thing exists), you can forgo the dinner and just show up. I have never queued up any earlier than 20 minutes before the show and I have never had a bad seat and never been turned away. Because the way the show sets up, there really aren't any bad seats.

The theater is really big. If you aren't obsessing about getting that "perfect" seat, (assuming such a thing exists), you can forgo the dinner and just show up. I have never queued up any earlier than 20 minutes before the show and I have never had a bad seat and never been turned away. Because the way the show sets up, there really aren't any bad seats.
Thank you! It seemed crazy to use 2 TS credits and all that time! Much appreciated!

I canceled my FDP because I just don't even think it's going to be that bad on a Monday in early December. It was only 1 TS, but I didn't want to eat lunch at 2:30pm and be running around worried about times :)

Keep checking to see if they add a 2nd Fantasmic performance during your visit. This is considered the "hassle free" showing as you can generally just show up and watch.

During mid summer, I've rarely seen the theater much over half full for the late show.

Do they typically add a 2nd show during Thanksgiving week or other really busy times?

No, you don't really need it. But it will take away some of the uncertainty about getting in to any particular show.

It doesn't matter what day it is out of the year, the dining option is never NEEDED to see Fantasmic.

The only reason someone should be doing the dining option is if they already plan on eating at a restaurant within the park. If you don't plan on eating there, then there's no need for it.

You get in the arena the same time as the FP members with the same amount of wait to enter. You'll still have to wait in the arena for the show to start, you can't show up 5 min before the show and have good seats. The dining plan does have the very center section, but the way the arena is set up, you can sit on either side of the center area and be almost in the center as well.

Then to mention that it's normally easily accessible to get Fantasmic as a 4th FP.

Just grab a Fantasmic! FP+.

What a FP+ for F! offers is more CHOICE in seating.

If you DO get a F! FP+, you can choose to sit in either the FP section (virtually the entire left half of the theater)

or the Standby section (virtually the entire right half of the theater.)

So, whatever section has the better seating at the time you arrive, you can go there.

Without a FP, you can only choose a seat in the Standby section.

There is a very good chance that you can get a FP+ for F! as a 4th or 5th FP of the day because they

issue SO MANY of them (enough to cover nearly the entire left half of the seating.)

On many nights, it is possible that you can gat a FP+ for F! as you are walking to the theater.

As to when to arrive at the theater, I'd get to there 45-60 minutes before the show-time.

Even with a FP or Dining Pkg. reservation, don't wait too late.

On busy nights, the CMs can stop holding the reserved sections within 20-30 minutes before show-time,

and turn over any available seats to waiting walk-in guests.

There is a "pre-show" (such as it is) that can help pass the last 30 minutes before show time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Below-

Arrows indicate the center of the seating.

Shaded areas:

(First or Only F! performance of the evening)

Cyan= Standby (walk-in) seating

Red= Dining Package Reserved

Blue= FP+ Reserved

Purple= Can be either FP+ or Dining Plan Reserved, depending on needs.

(Second or Third F! performance of the evening)

Red, Purple, Blue= FP+ Reserved

(Although much of the outer Blue will likely be used for Standby.)

F-Seating-West-FDP-FP_060215_zpsdu9sgfqi.jpg

Just grab a Fantasmic! FP+.

What a FP+ for F! offers is more CHOICE in seating.

If you DO get a F! FP+, you can choose to sit in either the FP section (virtually the entire left half of the theater)

or the Standby section (virtually the entire right half of the theater.)

So, whatever section has the better seating at the time you arrive, you can go there.

Without a FP, you can only choose a seat in the Standby section.

There is a very good chance that you can get a FP+ for F! as a 4th or 5th FP of the day because they

issue SO MANY of them (enough to cover nearly the entire left half of the seating.)

On many nights, it is possible that you can gat a FP+ for F! as you are walking to the theater.

As to when to arrive at the theater, I'd get to there 45-60 minutes before the show-time.

Even with a FP or Dining Pkg. reservation, don't wait too late.

On busy nights, the CMs can stop holding the reserved sections within 20-30 minutes before show-time,

and turn over any available seats to waiting walk-in guests.

There is a "pre-show" (such as it is) that can help pass the last 30 minutes before show time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Map Below-

Arrows indicate the center of the seating.

Shaded areas:

(First or Only F! performance of the evening)

Red= Dining Package Reserved

Blue= FP+ Reserved

Purple= Can be either FP+ or Dining Plan Reserved, depending on needs.

(Second or Third F! performance of the evening)

Red, Purple, Blue= FP+ Reserved

(Although much of the outer Blue will likely be used for Standby.)

F-Seating-West-FDP-FP_060215_zpsdu9sgfqi.jpg
As always, your maps never fail to impress! Thanks Robo!

Trying to figure this out too! We will be there December 21st (could also go back the evening of December 22nd) - We have been during this time before and last time we did Fantasmic Dinner package. Even during peak crowds, are we OK without a FP? Obviously we will try to get one but won't be arriving to the park until late afternoon on the 21st and we would only get a FP as the 4th using the earlier tier one for RnR. Anyone have experience during this time of year? Fantasmic isn't a must but we haven't done it in quite some time skipping it last trip - so we figured it is time to experience it again. The 22nd we plan on RD at HS so we can do RnR and TSM plus a few other rides. So, another option would be to go back that evening - especially if the weather is bad on the 21st as Osborne lights is a must for us.

4th FPP will be pretty unlikely for F! that time of year but you really don't need it, show up 30-45 minutes pre show and you should have no problem, having a 2nd day as a back up is also a great option in case your running late and don't get a set on day 1

4th FPP will be pretty unlikely for F! that time of year but you really don't need it, show up 30-45 minutes pre show and you should have no problem, having a 2nd day as a back up is also a great option in case your running late and don't get a set on day 1

I'm with you except, if it's on a day when a 4th FP+ is unavailable (very rare, as they issue so many of them)
I'd arrive an hour before show time.
On a day like that, by 30 minutes before the show, the theater can likely be filled.

Of course, it is always POSSIBLE that you can get seats much closer to show-time.
The downside is, you might not.
(I've seen so many times when the theater will max-out even on what some would consider "slower" times.)

Rule of WDW shows:
If it is important to you to see a specific performance of any kind,
it's better to arrive far too early, than one minute too late.

If it is of just of passing interest to see if you can get in, arrive later.
You might get lucky. Many have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter