Do I qualify for a DAS?

@SeptBabyMom

Oh - and one last thing. Make sure you have considered how you will deal with airports if you are flying; TSA lines will be brutal this summer (especially departing MCO) and if standing is difficult, or if the long walks through concourses (thinking about DFW where we routinely walk for what seems like hours) are going to cause a problem, you may want to consider how you will move through the airport as well.

Do you have a HC placard??
All the airports I have used (when not traveling with my ECV) have allowed me to access to the HC lane going through TSA when I showed my HC placard. Just a thought....

At Toy Story you can indicate you can't do the stairs and they'll direct you to the ramp. The wait may be longer but it is worth it. I'm not sure if Dinosaur has an alternate to the stairs though.
The new track at Toy Story Mania just opened and does NOT have stairs. So, there is an option now besides the ramp to the wheelchair accessible boarding area. The wait there can be MUCH longer, depending on the number of guests using mobility devices.
The new track should help the wait there since guests without mobility devices would be able to use the new track.

Dinosaur has an elevator to the left just after exiting the preshow. The elevator goes directly to the exit side of the track. It is a VERY small area though.

The new track at Toy Story Mania just opened and does NOT have stairs.
Dinosaur has an elevator to the left just after exiting the preshow. The elevator goes directly to the exit side of the track. It is a VERY small area though.
Thank you Sue! I was just reading about the 3rd track at Toy Story tonight. My husband loves it so I do the best I can, I believe that track will mean you don't have the harsh "whip around" that you have on the ramp side when they send the cars off onto the main track.

Dinosaur is too much for me, my husband will go on.

OP - do you really think you'll be able to walk 5-10 miles a day? If you've never been to WDW, I'm not sure you know that's the average amount of walking people do every day. The world showcase loop in EPCOT is two miles around on its own.

I'd prepare now and not have to deal when things fall apart while you're there.

Yes, there is lots of walking; we normally do 6-8 miles per day. But it's not 2 miles around the World Showcase.

Yes, there is lots of walking; we normally do 6-8 miles per day. But it's not 2 miles around the World Showcase.
Agree
The walkway along World Showcase is around one mile, just staying on the walkway and not going into the lands.
If you stay closer to the water, it's closer to one mile (smaller circle). If you walk closer to the buildings it's just over one mile.

I can see if you walk into each country and look around, it could be possible to add another mile.

Is there a link to see what disabilities qualify for a DAS? My disability is not visible. I have a Congenital Heart Defect We're planning on going in early October because we'll be there for a Conference and I know it can still be very hot and humid then. I'm already in stage 3 Congestive Heart Failure and in the early stages of beginning testing for transplant. Standing on my feet for long periods of time in a person with CHF can cause fluid retention and make it worse, especially when it's hot. I don't need a scooter or a wheelchair. Walking and moving isn't my problem. It's the heat and humidity while standing in line for long periods of time.

Thanks in advance for anyone's input!

Is there a link to see what disabilities qualify for a DAS? My disability is not visible. I have a Congenital Heart Defect We're planning on going in early October because we'll be there for a Conference and I know it can still be very hot and humid then. I'm already in stage 3 Congestive Heart Failure and in the early stages of beginning testing for transplant. Standing on my feet for long periods of time in a person with CHF can cause fluid retention and make it worse, especially when it's hot. I don't need a scooter or a wheelchair. Walking and moving isn't my problem. It's the heat and humidity while standing in line for long periods of time.

It's not disability based, it's needs based. One child with autism might need a das, while another does not. One adult with heart disease may qualify while the other doesn't. So diagnosis doesn't matter, you have to explain why you need to wait outside the line.

I would suggest talking to your doctor before going to WDW. Although walking may be fine in your normal, everyday life, most people don't walk 5-9 miles a day. So, your doctor may have some helpful suggestions.
Every guest has 3 Fastpasses the can pre-arrange and after those have been used, guests can arrange more one at a time.
The attractions with the longest waits in line tend to be the 'thrill' rides. Most of the thrill rides have a warning against riding for people with heart conditions. You can find a list of those attractions, along with a bit more information in a post on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. They are also marked with a special caution icon on park maps, the My Disney Experience app and signs near the entrance to the attraction. I'd suggest also discussing those attractions with your doctor to determine whether the doctor thinks it would be safe for you to ride.

Most of the time, guests are not standing still in line; most lines are moving slowly forward all the time. The times you will be standing still will mostly not be impacted by DAS that much. That's because the standing wait is usually part of a preshow or an attraction that loads in 'batches' of people. There is a post on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread that talks about attractions where all guests have to stand unless they have brought a mobility device with them in line.

There are no disabilities that 'qualify' for DAS; it is based on the person's needs while waiting in lines.
This is from the WDW DAS thread which is stuck near the top of this board:
  • person the DAS is being requested for needs to be present, even if they can't talk
    - you will be asked about your/the person's needs related to disability, not your diagnosis
    - you may be asked "why are you requesting it?" - this does not mean they are asking what your disability is; they want to know what your needs are.
    - For example, diabetes, autism and fibromylagia are not disabilities - they (like Cerebral Palsy, that is one of the conditions my DD has) are conditions that can cause a disability.
    Not everyone with a condition has a disability. So, your task will be to explain how your conditions affect you in a way that causes a need for accommodations IN LINES.
    - different people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs
    - no proof or doctor's note is needed, and CMs have been instructed they will not be looked at
    - explain your needs clearly, calmly and concisely.
    - include details the CMs will need, but don't include details that are not pertinent to waiting or accessing attractions.
    *posters, please do not post exactly what you said to get a DAS - people need to explain their own needs.

as others have said there is no list and one person with a Disability may get a DAS while another with the same thing will not. I would think about what you will need in lines or what difficulties you have in line. I would also plan on not getting a DAS ( and I am not saying you will or you will not) but just incase you do not get one. so look for lines that are all out doors that you can do so maybe jungle cruse ( and this one is shaded )I would try to come up with a list for you but most lines are inside or under shade and I do not know how much you can handle with the heat.

somethings you can do to stay cool ( even if you do get a DAS card there will still be a lot of time out in the heat)

calling towel ( I like O2COOL)
fain with mister.
cooler clothes ( I like columbia omni freeze 0)
a wide brim had or an umbrella ( I use an umbrella but be aware of those around you)
QS give out free ice water

even tho you said you do not need a wheel chair or ECV I would not though it out completely. there is so much more walking at disney then every day like most people using wheel chair or ECV at disney probable dose not use one at home and just because you have a wheel chair or ECV dose not mean you have to sit in it all the time you can use it for when you are in lines if you have someone with you have them push you take out your small umbrella you fain with a mister and enjoy your cool ride.

and lastly make sure you talk with your DR about going and see what they say to do.

I'd expect this to be treated as a stamina/mobility issue which would be given the recommendation of a WC or EVC.

You don't have to use it all the time, but these devices are the only things that will guarantee you a spot to sit when needed so you don't have to stand. The heat outside the line if often worse and many seating areas have been removed.

A Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS.

this was taken from Disney website https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me.../wdw-disability-access-service_2015-04-30.pdf I would think if standing on my feel for a long time causes a problem for you then you will need to sit some where and a person who's has a disability where they need to sit dose not need a DAS card. Now you are welcomed to talk to GR but like I said in my earlier post I would have a back up plan.

Have a great trip

Even a DAS will not get rid of much of the standing. A DAS does not help with buses, trains, restaurants, parades, fireworks, nighttime shows like Illuminations, and pre-shows. Also, even if you get a DAS for a ride, that still means you are in the FP line, which can sometimes be upwards of a half hour. There is no avoiding the pre-show wait for things like Muppets or Philharmagic too. I have waited an hour in the return line for BTMRR with a DAS and a wheelchair.

I have both a DAS and a wheelchair, and I can tell you that even with my limited ability to stand, I could never handle the parks - even if I wheeled to each attraction or show and then parked the chair and walked.

Definitely rent a wheelchair. If you have other needs not met by the chair/scooter, then certainly feel free to ask about it. You can also see how to do with the chair for a bit and if you still have problems, you can go to Guest Relations later in the day.

You can also park the scooter sometimes, or push the chair empty and only sit when you need it. But I would DEFINITELY suggest a chair!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter