Do I need to plan rides etc?

trctjs

Mouseketeer
I'm feeling very overwhelmed!!! We are taking our first trip in two weeks! Our kids are 6, few weeks shy of 5 and 18 months. (oldest and youngest are girls...middle is a boy) We will be in the parks for 3 days.

Do I really need to be planning rides etc? Is it not possible to just 'go with the flow' and still have a good time?

I've taken care of our food issues: scheduled at Ariel's Grotto, Goofy's Kitchen, PCH and Blue Bayou.

I have one child that can get very over-stimulated pretty easy and I don't want to completely stress him out!

Oh...and how do I go about scheduling BBB for my daughter? Am I already too late? We will be bringing a dress from home because I'm not spending that kind of money for a dress!!!! She has all the princess dresses at home already.

Thanks for any help, advice and/or guidance!

Well lucky you going soooo soon!! We are going over Christmas:):) Well this will be our 4th trip as a family and the first time we used the unofficial guide, then nothing, then ridemax and I will be using ridemax again! The lineups can be long and there are so many things to do it is common to spend a lot of time trying to decide what to do:confused:

I would recommend using ridemax then you can pick which rides each day to ensure you do everything you want... it leave time for breaks etc (u pick when/how long) We have found it to be much more relaxing and we usually have 5 days at the parks!

You can purchase ridemax on line for around $15.00

Good luck!!

It is totally possible to just go with the flow...that's exactly what we do. We tend to get stressed out if we feel like we need to adhere to a schedule when we are at the parks and tend to not even like to make PS for meals...we just don't know in advance what we will be in the mood for. And we always have a great time!

Some like to plan out their attack in advance but it isn't a requirement by any means. Go, check it out, and see what works best for your family. And have fun!

My family does both- I'm a overplanner and DH is a go with the flow kinda guy. We meet in the middle!:thumbsup2

I will always have a plan of attack for the morning, meals and then some idea of what the evening holds.

For example, our 1st day at DL we are using MM and will go straight to Fantasyland to take advantage of the MM hours. Dumbo is always 1st, then Peter Pan. After we are done in Fantasyland we then line up at the Toontown gates just in time for opening because Toontown opens 1 hr after official park opening time. We will grab lunch at Rancho del Zocalo, ride some rides on that side of the park and do the 2nd showing of Fanstasmic later in the evening.

If you noticed, the morning was pretty planned and then it was just a general idea of where we wanted to go and things we wanted to try and see. I always recommend that you plan out your mornings based upon what the priority is for your family. So with 3 young kids, I'm assuming it's Fantasyland and meeting characters. Always do your "priority items" in the morning as that's one of the least busy times at DL. Plus Fantasyland is a MAD HOUSE mid day!:scared:

I purposly leave a gray area in the middle of our day. That way if DS (or DH for that matter) is overly cranky, we can adjust the schedule accordingly. Sometimes DS wants to ride something 3 times in a row and the flexible schedule allows us to do so. However, I always have a general idea of where we are going to eat and try to be in that area of the park at the meal time- food is a big issue for my family, lots of picky eaters!

So I say, Yes! Plan some, at least your morning and then leave some wiggle room in the middle of your day. Then have a general idea for what you want to do in the evening- Fireworks, Fantasmic, etc. With 3 young kids nothing will go 100% according to your plan anyways, so why stress yourself out! This is your vacation too so relax and enjoy it!:goodvibes

I am a big supporter of having a plan--whether you use Ridemax (which I never have) or the Unofficial Guide (which I use, but adapt to my family's interests). Especially with kids (and especially Memorial Day weekend/week), I would much rather have an itinterary that's at least somewhat structured and helps you avoid long lines.

It's been my observation that the families that just "go with the flow" are the ones that by mid-afternoon are cranky, tired, and trudging from attraction to attraction, desperately looking for a short line. Having a plan that takes into account traffic flow through the park, ride times, and Fastpass/child swap makes it so you see more rides with less wait.

Now, obviously, depending on your approach and your family's collective attitude, Disneyland can be fun and a fulfilling experience no matter how you tour the parks. But you just have to go into it knowing that if you tour according to your whims, you should expect to see less rides and wait in lines longer and should plan accordingly (treats or games to distract the kids, parades instead of some rides, etc.)

No matter how you choose to tour, with the kids your ages, plan some sorts of breaks out of the sun and crowds. Also, being sure you arrive first thing in the morning, then taking a mid-day break at your hotel, returning in the afternoon, can help recharge your batteries a little and let the kids de-tox from the overstimulation of the parks.

Have a great time!

DH and I didn't plan a single thing when we went in May and we had a great time. We're going again in December and the only thing that will be "scheduled" is a tour. We feel like if we're running around all over because we "have" to be on this ride at this time, or be at that show at that time, that it takes all the fun out of it.

We just picked something we wanted to do at that time and headed toward it. If it was to busy, we just did something else and came back later. We don't feel like we missed out on anything.

You can definitely go with the flow! With two little ones now in the mix, we just see where we end up! ;) It's no longer about us, it's all about them! We may say that we want to do this and that, but if we don't get to do everything then it's okay. Don't stress yourself over it, it's Disneyland. Relax and enjoy your time in the parks!

Obviously you're going to get all kinds of answers since it really depends on your personality and the personalities of your family members.

Some people NEED a plan or they go nuts.

I, on the other hand, cannot imagine planning every single ride down to the minute. To me, that is completely nutty. And sounds like a horrible, horrible vacation.

I think having a general plan can be helpful. Like - "try to do Fantasyland rides right at park opening because they can get pretty crowded later." Or "grab a Space Mountain fastpass right away in the morning."

But I think stuff like
9:15 = get fastpass for Space Mountain
9:22 = Buzz Lightyear
9:47 = Matterhorn
ETC. sounds just dreadful! And for me, I can't see any fun in a vacation like that.

However, some people need that and love that. So it really just depends on the individual/group.

Personally, I think all you need in a general idea of which attractions you don't want to miss, which places you'd like to eat, and which shows you want to see.

With 3 little kids, and you are going over memorial weekend (if I am reading correctly) the parks will be very busy and you need a little bit of a plan...

Do be in line to get in at least 30 minutes before the park opens... do sunscreen and breakfast/snack while waiting in line. If you are staying nearby, leave after lunch and go back to your hotel for naps etc, and come back at dinner time... trust me, you are up early and the kids will be too worn out (so will you!) if you don't. Plus afternoons are a zoo, and you'll just be hot and cranky in the long lines.

Have a stroller that can at least seat 1 at a time... and maybe a ergo or some other backpack thing to help carry the 18 month old (I loved my ergo!!) that will help streamline getting from point A to point B.

Do Fantasyland right away in the morning... even if you do it 1st thing each morning you are there because the kids like it so much... We follow the Peter Pan always first rule!

Once you get Fantasyland out of the way, you can wing it a little more until lunch... collect FPs for the rides you can, learn how to use child swap, hubby and I trade off on Indiana Jones, while the other climbs Tarzan's Tree House... And we also used to have to trade off on Splash while the other rode Pooh over and over again! :thumbsup2

You said you wanted to do BBB? If it were me, I'd schedule it for late morning... that way you don't miss out on the relatively calm morning hours, and your daughter can get all fancied up, and then you guys can head out of the park for naps... Or, schedule it for right before dinner time, and do it after naps...

So, basically, I think no plan at all is a bad idea... you just need a little structure... not necessarily do each ride in a pre-planned order, but know what you are going to hit when, and be prepared to zig when the rest of the crowds zag... we've often done DL from 8-10 am, and then crossed to DCA from 10-12, ate lunch and napped, and went back to DL at 4:30 until 9 (which is about our max, unless we are doing fireworks or F!)... and then we head back to the hotel... again, this is zigging while the crowds are zagging!

I am a planner and on the first day of our first trip I started to run my family all around to certain rides at certain times. After about 2 hours my husband and mother both revolted and told me to just chill. At first I was mad and frustrated but then I ended up enjoying myself. I didn't plan any other days of our trip except for when to be at the park and where to head to first. The rest of the time was just spent enjoying ourselves. Our 2nd trip was also spent this "go with the flow" way. HOWEVER, I must add that we have had 2 trips (a total of 8 days) at the DLR and have still not seen & done everything. Sometimes it bothers me that we have never seen Turtle Talk w Crush or the Animation Academy or the Redwood Creek Challenge. But, my kids don't seem to have any clue and have absolutely loved our trips.

Thanks everyone. I'll use my unofficial guide and come up with a general idea.

We are staying at HOJO's and bringing a stroller for sure. I have an Ergo but I hate it and so does the baby.

Also not sure how much I'll really be able to ride as I'll be about 13-14 weeks pg when we make our trip.

We won't be there Memorial Weekend. We fly in on Memorial Day....so we'll be at the parks Tues, Wed and Thurs after. :)

We are staying at HOJO's and bringing a stroller for sure. I have an Ergo but I hate it and so does the baby.

Also not sure how much I'll really be able to ride as I'll be about 13-14 weeks pg when we make our trip.

We won't be there Memorial Weekend. We fly in on Memorial Day....so we'll be at the parks Tues, Wed and Thurs after. :)

I think that is a good plan. I have gone with a plan (and too much of a plan :rolleyes: ) and without a plan. I agree with those that have mentioned to have those morning ideas to start off with and then go with the flow.

The afternoon nap is also beneficial if one or more are at the melt down point. Even if you don't nap, but rest or take a cool dip in the pool. It is a family vacation at Disney and will be fun. I'll be there at the same time as you with dd15. Can hardly wait.

url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
gzjrctx45h21ajiu.png
[/url]

Congratulations on the pregnancy! Thankfully, there will still be tons of rides you'll be able to do at Disneyland.

I am a planner but with little kids I have learned what works best for us is to have a to do list for each day with the most important items at the top grouped by lands, then whatever doesnt get done that day gets added to the next days list. This way when we have to ride Pirates every day because ds just loves it I can still make sure we see all the other things we want to without standing around wondering where or what to do next.

We always just go with the flow and never have our day all planned out. However, there are certain things to note that do cause us to do a slight amount of planning.

From experience I know and plan loosly around the following:

Space Mountain can get very long lines and run out of fast passes quite early. On a moderate to busy day its common to see FP return times of 8PM for a FP issued at 11am! Get FP's very early in the AM!

Splash Mountain will have long lines all through the afternoon. In the last 30-45 minutes before park closing the line usually becomes quite short, sometimes walk on.

Gizzly Rapids has very short line for the first 30-60 minutes after park opening. Very long on a sunny day through the afternoon then short after sundown.

Tower of Terror generally has reasonable lines early morning or late at night with mid-afternoon and again at early evening as being the longest and thus the times to avoid.

Big Thunder often has very short lines in the last hour before closing.

Soar'n has long lines almost all day. Go very early when park opens or get a fast pass early. Late evening the lines sometimes become short but not always.

When major rides are very long then opt for the less crowded or less wait attractions such as Buzz, Star Tours, Turtle Talk, Pirates or Jungle (anytime other than mid afternoon).

We've been to Disneyland dozens of times over the years and just learn where the crowds will be and when allowing us to do the exact opposite. We really do not plan our day out but do tend to keep in mind where crowds are likely to be at any given time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter