Do I need a small stroller?

taylorsNZ

Earning My Ears
So we will be flying into LAX on an overnight from NZ with Air NZ. I'm worried about the long wait at immigration with my 2 year old. On previous trip to Oz we've had him in a backpack but he'll be too big for that. My current thinking is to by a little cheapy umbrella stroller which, according to AirNZ website I can take on the plane so he can sit in that in the immigration queue. I'm not convinced they will actually let us go that though as I imagine if the plane is full they'll tell us it needs to go on hold ( this happened 5 years ago on a trip back from Oz with my older son). How have others handled a toddler at LAX?

I can't help with the stroller question,but when we went a few yrs ago, they have lines for families, we might of been lucky but we were through in about 15-20 mins. I personally think he may like to stretch his legs, it's a long flight.

We travelled with a toddler a number of years ago so what happened I our case mightn't be relevant so perhaps call the airline. We did take an umbrella stroller (not a cheap one) it was taken from us at the gate and returned before immigration at lax. However my youngest insisted on pulling her own wheelie carry on, in pink of course. How about using a 'trunkie'? We did find using a stroller easier as it fits better in taxis, hotel rooms etc. plus I liked to hang stuff on the handles.

I'd bring a pram. You can gate check prams/strollers in America so you get it right when you get off the plane. My goto travel pram when I am flying between Australia and America is a Baby Jogger City Mini :)

I haven't travelled with a little one for years now but from when my son was a few months old, he was accompanying us on overseas holidays. I had a cheap stroller, it became our travel stroller, which we were always able to take on the plane. Yes it was really handy to get him from the gate to immigration or to another gate (some airports are huge). Worse case is they will gate check it for you.

I have gone to lax with my baby/toddler in a carrier or on a 'leash'...every time I have gate checked my stroller I haven't been able to collect it until after immigration, with all the bags. 'Usually' they have a separate line at immigration for families with small children to get you through quicker...but that is not always the case, helpful when they have it though!

We always check our stroller with our luggage. It's just another thing to lug around, especially when DD wants to get out and walk all the time anyway. You'll know your son best. Will he be happy to sit in the stroller throughout the queue?

He'll be happier in the stroller than trying to stand in one place holding my hand- I now I'll end up carrying a grumpy kid who wants to get down and walk. Talking with DH this morning and he's thinking he'll have to just deal with the weight of DS and we will take the back pack.technically I expect he will be under that 15kg limit the supposedly have anyway. I also emailed Air Nz customer service with specific questions about whether I could take on board or gate check but I got a very generic answer about asking at check in - not helpful!!

When our girls were much younger, airlines would happily let us keep the stroller right up until boarding time - they'd take it at the gate, then return it at the other end just as we got off the plane (it would be waiting in the gangway with various others :) ).

We checked our stroller in for our 12 mth old, we let him run around every time at the airport so he would be ready for a sleep on the plane. The only time I wished I had it was when he feel asleep at boarding and I had to carry him! He weighed a tonne. I just knew he wouldn't want to sit in it so would have ended up pushing an empty pram.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter