Do I need a passport?

If I'm not mistaken Pass Cards are $35. perfect for cruising, that is if you don't have plans to fly into a another country.
Right now the return time is very quick cause not as much demand for them this time of year but I wouldn't wait to long as schools are going to be closing for spring break.

I realize this has probably been addressed a thousand times already, but we just booked our first cruise on the Magic for next month. :cool1: What documentation do we need at check-in? Is a birth cert. and driver's license for each person ok? Checked on the passports, they're like $110 + $60 rush fee per person. I'd rather not spend that if I don't have to. BTW, we're on the 7 night West. Carr. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Get a Passport card - it's way cheaper ($30) + the rush fee...

I don't have my original BC. I have a Certified copy. My original BC is i at the registrars office in Boston. My son's original BC is in the office in Richmond, VA. I don't know of any state that gives up the original. Remember the stink about the President's BC, people insisting that he provide the original and the State of HI saying they only provide Certified Copies and the originals are kept in the state files?

The words I put in Red in my prior post were copied and pasted from the State Department website, Their words say Certified Copy, not original. If there is only one original and it is lost, then what?

What you have is something issued by the state (which is something completely different). Actually the words say Certified Birth Certificate. I am really not debating you, but a certified copy (see my previous comment for definition) is not going to get you on the ship. A copy issued by the state will. If you would like further explanation I will be happy to do so via private message.

I would like to point out that not all certified birth certificates have raised seals. Some places just don't do that.

To the OP, make sure that the birth certificates are indeed certified copies of the original. Most states will not release the original, hence the need for a "certified copy". The one you get from a hospital or town may not be the real deal. I found that out thie first time I wanted to apply for a passport, I had my hospital record and town certificate, but neither of them we legal for a passport. I did have to write to the Commonweath of MA and get the copy. Mine has no raised seal, it is merely a copy of the page in the book that has ben stamped as "certified". IF you are not 100% sure, take the BCs to the passport agent in your area, it could be the post office ot a local courthouse. They can tell you for sure. If it works for a passport, it will work for a cruise.

I really wish people would stop saying raised seal.

SOOO glad you said this! I pulled out our BC last night and was feeling all over for that raised seal..:scared1: Not there! But it has some sort of seal-type stamps on it so I am sure it will be fine.

Rachel- before you think you are good, have it verified. When my son was born we got a real pretty official looking document with a seal, embossed and all. It looked like the real deal. He went to get his passport with it and was told it was not a "certified copy" as required by the Department of State. He had to contact the registrar of Births and get them to COPY his original BC and certify that it is is a true copy of the original. Certified by the registrar's office. No one else can certify it, the only way you get a copy of your original is by contacting either an agency that will charge you a fee for doing the leg work or by contacting the registrar your self. And you will probably pay a fee, mine was 5 dollars, but each place sets their own rates.

My Town Birth Certificate has an embossed seal and it is the original. However, it is not the state copy, so it did me no good, even tho it seemed to fall into the guidelines.

Take your documents to the Post Office or your local courthouse, depending on who does your passport paperwork and ask them if what you have is OK. Of it isn't, getting the correct documents from your state or county or where ever you need to get them is pretty easy and quick. I know I got mine from MA in about 10 days.

Get a Passport card - it's way cheaper ($30) + the rush fee...

I would have to disagree. The passport card is not very useful - it is only for driving across borders or sailing across borders. And it is one more RFID chip in your wallet that needs to be shielded.

This close to the cruise, I would suggest the OP just get certified birth certificates and go with those. But, as always, I am a firm believer in getting a passport whenever possible.

Yes, it can cost $540 including acceptance fees for four people to get passports. But, hypothetically, what happens if you get stuck in port? In Cozumel you either have to fly to Merida with four last-minute tickets or take the ferry to the mainland then look into 12 hours worth of bus. Then you go to the US consulate and pay your $540. It might be cheaper to fly to Tijuana or another border town and take a taxi to the border, then deal with the situation there. If you can establish you are Americans, CBP cannot deny you entry.
Or what happens if you miss the boat in Grand Cayman? Start by calling the embassy - which is in Kingston, Jamaica. Then you'll somehow have to get to Kingston without passports to visit the embassy and get passports.

I don't know how often people miss cruise ships, but I would guess the odds of needing a passport while on a cruise vacation are similar to the odds of my wife needing my life insurance. But who here is going to tell me to drop life insurance?

I would have to disagree. The passport card is not very useful - it is only for driving across borders or sailing across borders. And it is one more RFID chip in your wallet that needs to be shielded.

I don't know how often people miss cruise ships, but I would guess the odds of needing a passport while on a cruise vacation are similar to the odds of my wife needing my life insurance. But who here is going to tell me to drop life insurance?

You pose some good arguments.
However, the new passports also have RFID chips...

Additionally, if you have a passport and miss the boat, your passport is more than likely to be in the safe in your room (as would be my passport card)....

Why take any chances? I would get a passport...it's worth the money. Its much cheaper than missing out on ur vaction if DCL doesn't accept it at check in for whatever reason.

Ok I just want to be clear because I am thinking of getting a passport card verses a passport. With a passport card you can’t fly into or out of a foreign country. Is that the only major difference between the two ??? I am doing a 7day cruise in May and I am going this week to get a passport card or passport, any info is appreciated.....

Additionally, if you have a passport and miss the boat, your passport is more than likely to be in the safe in your room (as would be my passport card)....

Myth USA, Hey just saw your location I also stay in Evans, Ga. wow small world!!!!!

Ok I just want to be clear because I am thinking of getting a passport card verses a passport. With a passport card you can’t fly into or out of a foreign country. Is that the only major difference between the two ??? I am doing a 7day cruise in May and I am going this week to get a passport card or passport, any info is appreciated.....

Best place for info is at the Department of State web site (Hope this will let me post the site):

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Why take any chances? I would get a passport...it's worth the money. Its much cheaper than missing out on ur vaction if DCL doesn't accept it at check in for whatever reason.

No chances taken.

DCL does not determine what they will or will not accept; they go by the law.

The passport card is issued and accepted by the Dept. of State and will get you back into the U.S. from your cruise.

However, whether you get a passport book or card is a personal decision.
Either one is acceptable for cruising purposes.

I realize this has probably been addressed a thousand times already, but we just booked our first cruise on the Magic for next month. :cool1: What documentation do we need at check-in? Is a birth cert. and driver's license for each person ok? Checked on the passports, they're like $110 + $60 rush fee per person. I'd rather not spend that if I don't have to. BTW, we're on the 7 night West. Carr. Thanks in advance for any responses.

get passports - do it on tuesday (since i assume the offices will be closed tomorrow)..

you don't want to show up at the port and find out the documentation you have is insufficient.
Go get the passports NOW - do not wait. On tueday - first thing in the morning, get into your car and go get them. Take time off from work if you have to, but get this done.

This is a link to the state dept website it says you must have a passport to cruise.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2223.html

Travel by sea
Sea
Commercial cruise line, private boat, etc
U.S. Passport Book or Card

I have been corrected by the following information:

link near the bottom for "Exceptions and Special Circumstances" which if you click on it takes you to a page that states:

""Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization)."

This is a link to the state dept website it says you must have a passport to cruise.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis_pa_tw_2223.html

Travel by sea
Sea
Commercial cruise line, private boat, etc
U.S. Passport Book or Card

Actually on the page you noted there is a link near the bottom for "Exceptions and Special Circumstances" which if you click on it takes you to a page that states:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

HTH

It does get confusing. There are a lot of places you have to go to find out the fine print.

I have tested the passport book and card. The shielding of the passport book is effective. I wouldn't want to be exposed to an RF source strong enough to reliably read a closed book!

And if I were to somehow miss the boat, my passport would be with me. I don't see any reason to leave it behind, and I take adequate precautions to protect it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter