Do I need a passport?

DisneyMama409

Mouseketeer
I read on one website that if you are traveling to the bahamas/carribean you could use a id and a birth certificate but on the DCL website it says you need a passport. If I can avoid getting a passport I would. I have no problem bringing everyone's BC and my picture id ( I assume you dont need a picture id for the kids am i correct?)

You do NOT need a Passport.
However, I would never leave the U.S. without a Passport.

My family & I are going on a 5 night double dip in Aug that just goes to Nassau & CC (twice!), and we are using picture id's and birth certificates. We did not want the added expense of the passport and felt perfectly comfortable without them on our last cruise.

Alrite! Thanx for the info. If I can cut costs somewhere I definetly will! I did not want to have to shell out money for 3 passports just to frolick on a beach .

While it is not REQUIRED to have a passport when traveling by sea in a closed loop (departing and returning to the U.S.), having a passport is kind of like having insurance. You don't need it until you need it!

If there were any unforeseen emergencies that would require you to fly back into the States, then you'd need a passport or have to deal with the hassle and headache of getting emergency admittance. Worst case is one of your children or other travel-mates had a medical emergency and was transported back to the U.S. via air and you were "stuck" either on the ship or in a foreign port.

So, while it is an added expense, there is a certain, if slight, amount of risk in not having a passport. Also, anytime you travel by air outside the U.S., you will need a passport, so get the passport and be ready to go anywhere, anytime! :D

It was my experience that you need a passport now. There was a time frame where you didn't, but that changed, didn't it??
There is no way I would leave this country without a passport in hand...for all in my group.

If the cost of obtaining passports is too much, then it may be a good idea to wait to cruise. Passports are just a cost of doing business when cruising.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Now, that link says that you do have to have a passport, says nothing about closed or open looped cruises. My concern would be if there were to be an issue while traveling. If you needed to fly home, due to an emergency, you would have to have that passport.

While my husband and I always use passports on our cruises, I still wonder what exactly is immigration going to do if you end up having to make an emergency flight back into the US ... not let a US citizen back into the country of their birth?? Anyone been in this position, or know of someone who has? I'm just curious that's all :upsidedow

While my husband and I always use passports on our cruises, I still wonder what exactly is immigration going to do if you end up having to make an emergency flight back into the US ... not let a US citizen back into the country of their birth?? Anyone been in this position, or know of someone who has? I'm just curious that's all :upsidedow

Hmmmmm...if I need passports, I am in trouble. I cruise in 17 days and have BC and IDs ready.

I am typing this from my DCL Official Embarkation Information:

All guests claiming US citizenship must present one of the following documents as proof of citizenship:

*Valid passport...
*Original or certified copy of a state-issued birth certificate and a photo ID as issued by a local, state or federal government agency for Guests 18 years and older
...and a few other choices.

Looks like you and I are both fine, OP.

Exactly, no passport on a closed circut cruise is fine. Save your $$ -- we are saving ours. Our TA assured us that birth certificates and photo id's would be fine. Sure, it's recommended to have them, but not required.

It was my experience that you need a passport now. There was a time frame where you didn't, but that changed, didn't it??
There is no way I would leave this country without a passport in hand...for all in my group.

If the cost of obtaining passports is too much, then it may be a good idea to wait to cruise. Passports are just a cost of doing business when cruising.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Now, that link says that you do have to have a passport, says nothing about closed or open looped cruises. My concern would be if there were to be an issue while traveling. If you needed to fly home, due to an emergency, you would have to have that passport.

From the Dept of Homeland Scurity site:
http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm

How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?
U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise.

Found this on the Homeland Security site:

Traveling By Sea
How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?
U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the appropriate documents for the stops you’ll be making on your cruise.

I guess that covers it.

Great minds think alike!

:thumbsup2 Thing is, like I said before, passports for closed-loop cruises are recommended, not required. So, if it's not required, then it should be left up to your own discretion. There are some people that feel very strongly about having them, which is fine for them. Then, there are those of us that are fine with not having them. Just so that the OP knows they don't have to buy them!

No you don't have to have one. But as others have said, in an emergency it is much better to have one. And yes, you can get held up in customs if you have to fly back in an emergency situation if all you have is your BC. They will let you through, eventually, but it will be a hassle. Period.

Only experience I had was not with a cruise, but flying back to the U.S. from Canada. This was way back in 1990 and I had done my homework, had a letter from the Canadian Consulate saying my then 3 year old did not need a Passport, just a birth certificate, and adults only needed U.S. Driver Licenses.
DW and I did have Passports, but the lady at Canadian Immigration looked our son's birth certificate and said "how do I know that this child is the child on their birth certificate? How do I know you aren't kidnapping a child? You really should have a Passport with a photo for your child". And THAT was 11 years before the September 11th terrorist attacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter