Do I have to have a valid AP to use my DDE card?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by lornak, Sep 9, 2007.

1. lornak

lornak DIS Veteran

I currently have an AP that will expire on Sept 23rd. I want to buy the DDE for a Sept 15-23 trip... I don't think I am going to renew my AP. Can I use the DDE for future trips even if I don't have an AP?????

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DVC California

DVC California Good Old DVC

I'm pretty sure an AP (or voucher) is only needed to initially purchase the DDE card. After that, you will not be asked about an AP until it is time to renew the DDE.

HTH, Steve

4. kathie859

kathie859 DIS Veteran

When using my DDE card, I've never been asked to show my AP....:wizard:

5. mickeyfan2

mickeyfan2 DIS Veteran

I have been asked on a few occassion. Since our AP and DDE were both activated at the same time there was no problem.

6. pumba

pumba DIS PUMBARIZER Moderator

we had to only show our photo id a few times and never had to get our AP pass out to prove it.......

7. Uncleromulus

Uncleromulus <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

You need the active AP (or the AP voucher) to buy the DDE card. The DDE card carries it's own expiration, unconnected to the expiration of your AP. The only ID you'll need (tho no one has ever asked for ours) is your drivers liscense.

8. Cheshire Figment

Cheshire Figment <font color=red><marquee behavior=alternate>Friend

Last week I was with some friends at Bistro and the bill came to around $500 (including some vintage wine). When I showed my DDE Card I was also asked for a photo ID.

9. Laugh O. Grams

Laugh O. Grams <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Must be a price point when they start checking ID because, the same thing happened to me at Bistro. I footed a $650 dinner bill for a friend's 40th birthday and was asked to see ID. Other than that one time, I've never been asked to prove my identity or show AP. As many have said, you can definitely use your DDE card after your AP has expired, but you can't get a DDE card without an active AP.

10. mickeyfan2

mickeyfan2 DIS Veteran

Actually you can get it with a voucher and it is wait for you to pick up at Epcot. They take down the voucher number, so maybe a voucher number can only be used once.

11. Luv2Roam

Luv2Roam Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

It use to be rare when I had to show an ID with the DDE. Now it is more common, although not nearly every time. Having to show a picture ID is just not rare like it use to be.
    Yes, your AP can expire once you have a DDE card, and you can still use your DDE.

12. mickaholic4077

mickaholic4077 I kicked cancer's butt!!

Florida residents without an AP can have a DDE card.

13. Laugh O. Grams

Laugh O. Grams <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

That's right...I forgot. Thanks for the clarification. If I remember correctly, the DDE program started with Florida residents only, then expanded in the last couple years to include AP holders, right?

14. disneyfav4ever

disneyfav4ever No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep

I've never been asked to show my AP while using the DDE, and I was only asked to show ID once. It was actually weird though that when the CM wanted to see my ID it was at Pop, and I only saved like twenty-five cents. So it can't have to do with the amount of the check, because I only spent $1 or something, and had to show ID, but when I ate at California Grill, and spent quite a bit, not only did my server not ask for ID, she didn't even ask to see my DDE card, I just told her I had it, and she took it off.

15. maraki527

maraki527 DIS Veteran

no you do not need a valid one. I used it in may without my ap. and my mom actually took my card with her and used it. They never asked her for identification

16. D&R love Disney

D&R love Disney DIS Veteran

We used the DDE card quite a few times during our last trip and never was asked for anything to go with it.