• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do I believe him?

I've been going to WDW with my nephew the last few years. At 9 he got way more bold when it comes to rides. The year before that he was very scared of a lot of rides even though he is definetely a little daredevil! I say let him try whatever he chooses. Most rides aren't any more than two or three minutes. If things get scary for him they won't last for long.

My DS12 is a wimp - and he would be the first to tell you that. He hates all roller coasters faster than the Barnstormer (except Thunder Mountain - loves that one for some reason :confused3 ) He will not ride Splash Mountain (or any log flume ride anywhere), Test Track, and forget about mentioning ToT or Rockin Roller. That is why I love Disney. There is tons of stuff he WILL do. He loves Star Tours and Mission Space (the orange side - :scared1: not for me, I am terrified of the spinning) His favorites are Pirates and Haunted Mansion. My twins (6) on the other hand, are thrill seekers and love the big rides. They got to ride Rockin Roller the first time this trip and loved it. Disney has always been my favorite vacation spot just for this reason - something for everyone. :cloud9:

So... I should have believed him! He tried everything, was a little nervous, but loved it all!

I guess a couple of years and some determination mean a lot.

I absolutely didn't mean to call my son a "wimp"! He's actually so much the opposite that he worries me! He doesn't seem to ever be afraid of anything. It just baffles me that he is so fearless in real life, but when it comes to getting on ride at WDW, he gets afraid. I really think it's because he feels a lack of control on those rides. Anyway- he says he wants to ride them all... and I believe him. I wonder if I am going to be more nervous about all of his rides than he will be?!?!?

My HUBBY... is a daredevil with ANYthing he has control over. Now a ride on the other hand... he has know control over any part of it. He IS a wimp (of the very best kind). He has managed to ride everything the rest of us go on... but white knuckle every time!:rotfl:
I on the other hand am not a daredevil at home at all. I LOVE all the rides at the parks... love being very scared and the warm glow of feeling OK after the ride. (A freak of the best kind lol):laughing:

I agree with you it may be a lack of control on those rides!

So... I should have believed him! He tried everything, was a little nervous, but loved it all!

I guess a couple of years and some determination mean a lot.

Great News!

How long were you there? What ride did he try out first?

Only you know him... but my question is... Does it matter?

Shouldn't he do what he enjoys... and if not going on Splash mountain makes his trip more enjoyable and loess stressful, shouldn't that be enough?

At least you get your WDW fix... and let him be happy with what he want's to do.

Absolutely agree.

I don't know..my sis is a ride chicken and vows to try these rides every trip..and without fail, she bails last second:lmao:. Oh well, she still has fun.

My dd7 is a andrelin junky. At 5 she was tall enough to ride ToT and loves it. I hate it bt sucked it up and rode it 5 times for the last trip for. Now in October she now tall enough for Space Mountain and she scared to death of it. How can one love ToT so much and fear a roller coaster. Beyond words! I think kids just in phases. I think once she is there and sees the magical hype she will want to ride it. I know I'd love to, it has been years since I was on SM.

Just wanted to clarify something:

There are, absolutely, people for whom thrill rides of any kind are out-of-bounds for life. I seriously believe that there are brain wiring, brain chemical issues here -- I know for a fact that I experience motion and sense of motion in a very different way than DH and DS do. (As an example, even though intellectually I understand that it's not the case, I am one of those people for whom they make those announcements in the Epcot 360 degree theaters to reassure them that the theater itself is not moving -- I absolutely experience that sensation but DH and DS do not.)

What I meant in my comments to the OP (and I am thrilled that her trip proved the point and went so well) is that children do go through a developmental change at around age 10. They understand the world and their experiences in an entirely new way -- the line between reality and fantasy becomes much more clear, they become much more independent, etc. This change can mean that a child who wasn't ready for certain rides before and SAYS he or she is now ready can be trusted and given the opportunities to try. It doesn't mean he or she should be pushed because he or she is "old enough now" -- since it could be someone who will never be comfortable with thrill rides.

Hope that makes sense!

We just returned and it amazed me how many times people would drag their screaming fearful kids on a ride demanding they stop crying.

My DD (12) has what I would describe as "line phobia". Rockin Rollercoaster is her favorite ride at Disney World and every trip she begs and begs me to take her on the ride. It never fails. When she is waiting in line she gets more and more nervous. The longer the line the more worked up she gets. By the time we get to the front of the line she starts crying and saying she doesn't want to go on it. I make her go anyway because right when we are done she gets off the ride and runs to get in line to go on it again.

So basically it appears to other groups of people that I am forcing her to go on the ride. But in reallity it is her that begs me to take her.

We just returned and it amazed me how many times people would drag their screaming fearful kids on a ride demanding they stop crying.

My DD (12) has what I would describe as "line phobia". Rockin Rollercoaster is her favorite ride at Disney World and every trip she begs and begs me to take her on the ride. It never fails. When she is waiting in line she gets more and more nervous. The longer the line the more worked up she gets. By the time we get to the front of the line she starts crying and saying she doesn't want to go on it. I make her go anyway because right when we are done she gets off the ride and runs to get in line to go on it again.

So basically it appears to other groups of people that I am forcing her to go on the ride. But in reallity it is her that begs me to take her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter