• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do cruises ever get cancelled due to..

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball22

<font color=teal>Lovin' Disney<br><font color=red>
Do cruises ever get cancelled due to hurricanes?

No. Not cancelled. The trip might go to places unexpected....but the ship will sail. Well.....if a hurrican was bearing down on Cape Canaveral...that might be a different story. But thus far, the ship has sailed.

sorry and this is an honest answer (not griping)

Its Norwalk you gotta watch out for

Ditto on the Norwalk.........been there, done that!!!

Since hurricanes are usually tracked for a while cruiselines know pretty close as to where they will be going. So you are probably pretty safe at sea. You might not get to your original ports of call and your trip will be alot more exciting.
We are cruising at the end of October so we will be taking our chances with hurricane season.

OK.....

Take it from one "who's been there...done that"...with both..

Norwalk is NOTHING compared to being in a hurricane..

With Norwalk...you get sick for a few days..although it is a terrible illness..wouldn't wish it on anyone...

With a hurricane....you lose your home, your business, your job, maybe your life or the life of a loved one or in my case the life of someone you work with....wouldn't wish it on anyone...

Sorry, no comparison.....

Phyllis
:cool:

ok, the Norwalk virus, yes that's a terrible virus.
Unfortunately, Disney cancelled a vacation for 2000+ people because of it.
Disney cancelled the November 2002 cruise because they did not want to expose another 2000+ people to the virus that SOMEONE ELSE had brought on board just to keep infecting more people.

NOW The outbreak is SARS, and in another part of the world/country/area's and hopefully it won't make it to the Disney Cruise line this year.

I believe it's time to build a bridge. JMO and my flame retardent suit is on.

Jeanny :wave:

Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
Good morning, Jeanny.

Um, ok. To where?...

to where the infamouse cancelled cruise will not be brought up over and over and over and over .........

Originally posted by natsmom125
OK.....

Take it from one "who's been there...done that"...with both..

Norwalk is NOTHING compared to being in a hurricane..

With Norwalk...you get sick for a few days..although it is a terrible illness..wouldn't wish it on anyone...

With a hurricane....you lose your home, your business, your job, maybe your life or the life of a loved one or in my case the life of someone you work with....wouldn't wish it on anyone...

Sorry, no comparison.....

Phyllis
:cool:

I certainly agree with you phyllis, my parents lived on Seabrook Island S.C. and were constantly plauqed by hurricanes, dad has colitus so he knows what the norwalk feels like, I think he would choose the toliet over his house being destroyed anyday!

Y'all just don't seem to understand.....

I know all about the canceled cruise and the reason it was canceled. I visit these boards everyday...It was very sad for everyone involved....those who were scheduled for the canceled cruise and those who were ill. I too, would have been very disappointed..but
I'D BE OVER IT BY NOW..

I'm not talking about the ship diverting for a hurricane..what I'm saying is this...don't you people see the difference in the loss of someone's entire livelyhood and loss of a life of someone close to them..how can that be compared to a canceled cruise?

I've said enough and I better stop before I get thrown off
the boards...

However, if anyone would like to email me....I'd love to continue
this topic...

NATSMOM125@AOL.COM

Hey BD ~ you've never heard that expression?? Thank you Natsmom

I know everyone has a right to their opinion on our boards, but I believe a LOT of people are saying to themselves~ "Not again!!"

You're right Ann~ To get over it!!!

Now back to the regularly scheduled question.... Although hurricanes are terrible, we've had some up here, not as bad as the South gets, but it's a powerful force of nature... and the ships are able to divert their courses... who know's you may go on another famous "mystery tour"

Jeanny :wave:

Originally posted by AnnMorin
to where the infamouse cancelled cruise will not be brought up over and over and over and over .........

Heaven forbid that something cataclysmic should have actually happened - what mileage that would beget!

Rae
("NOT AGAIN!")

Heaven forbid that something cataclysmic should have actually happened - what mileage that would beget!

I wasn't reading the boards back when the Magic caught fire - can you imagine the reams of bolded text there must have been following that event?! (Please - don't everyone think I'm making light of a fire - simply the resulting hub-bub.....)

Okay, enough.

To answer the original poster, ships do not cancel cruises due to weather. The captains go to all lengths possible to avoid bad weather. It is entirely possible that you may change PORTS due to weather (in fact, I've been on an October cruise where that happened) but they do not cancel. :)

flexsmom--

Actually, I don't think the fire hub-bub was too bad.

I was on the cruise right after the fire (fire was on Thursday, we sailed Saturday). We had some small schedule changes (we were late sailing away), and the Mickey pool was closed most of the week, but it really wasn't too bad. Disney had repair crews working on the damage the whole week, while we were sailing and in port, but it was really only the Mickey pool area that was affected. They opened the crew pool to guests to help compensate, and shifted kid activities to the Goofy pool. (At least that's what I think they did. Kind of hard to remember this much later.)

The folks that were on the fire sailing were awakened pretty early to report to muster stations, but it really sounds like there was a very cooperative atmosphere among guests and crew.

Reading the boards after our return, I think there was a lot of interest in what happened, and we saw lots of photos and reconstruction updates. But I honestly don't recall much whining or complaining.

I think you might have been proud of the civility!

Originally posted by imgoingtodisney
?

why does that always seem to happen? First a statement then it is either deleted,erased or changed? Just curious

No curiosity involved Ann. Don't like what people have to say and the toys are picked up and gone home.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter