• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do CM lanyards get "stale" with ho hum pins?

brownsoup

Disney Daddy
We are taking the kids (6 & 7) to WDW and I have started pin trading in the house as a way for the kids to get excited about thier trip. Each kid (and....ahem...me too!) have our lanyard and I had a handful of pins through the years in a drawer...also bought a small lot of pins on ebay - some are keepers -some are traders.

My question is do the CM's lanyards get traded down to cruddy pins by the end of the day? Are thier pins refurbished with different pins? My kids have a "keeper side" and a "trader side" on thier lanyards and I hope we see some fresh pins for them to trade up to. I'm way new to this so any feedback would be welcomed. -Steve and kids

Yes, they tend to get traded down and do not get refreshed during the day.

Thanks for the reply - so I'm guessing befor the CM comes out on shift - he or she comes on fresh with "more desireable" pins? I think... Steve

My 7 year old has been pin trading for a couple of years and he can usually find a pin to trade for. He isn't looking for certain LE pins or hard to get pins so 4 out of 5 times he can find something he likes. If he doesn't see one he wants he just says thanks and we move on.

The best CM's to trade with seem to be the coordinators/managers. They are less in the public eye than most CMs so they tend to have more/fresh pins. Check out around parade or closing time, and in less traveled areas. Good luck.

2angelsinheaven said:
The best CM's to trade with seem to be the coordinators/managers. They are less in the public eye than most CMs so they tend to have more/fresh pins. Check out around parade or closing time, and in less traveled areas. Good luck.

Totally agree! We seek out those CMs. On our most recent trip (returned last Monday), the "regular" CMs had lots of give-away pins, as well as duplicates. It has become harder to find desirable pins. And we are only doing this for fun.

I say it is a hit and miss. I think manager CMs use to normally have the least picked over. But it really is just a matter of hitting it lucky.
I have a harder time finding a pin to trade for. But that is mainly due to having so many pins already. I see pins I like, but if I know I already have it, I let it be, cast lanyard pin or not.
and I have made some good trades late in the day. Although I agree earliy in the morning is better. And often the non park areas are better for trading too. Off the beaten path. That can be proved wrong some days too.
Just luck of the draw.

Let's not forget about the special green lanyards some CM's wear for the 12 (I think it's still 12) and under crowd. In addition to that you have the kids pin trading areas at the pin trading nights locations. Last but certainly not least attend a Scoop Sandeson's famous 1pm "pin talk" he's been known to give out a pin or two :rolleyes1

Swamp Fox

I have a few pins and am considering doing pin trading on our upcoming trip. I can easily display all on a lanyard, but I have some pics that I don't want to trade, especially from Disneyland's 50th Anniversary. Do I just say they're "keeper" pins and not available for trade?

With pins I wish to keep I have a simple rule, don't bring them. It cuts down on those "uhh ohh" moments by trading away one of your keepers by accident. Plus this touches on one of my pin pet peeves, say your walking down Main St. having an off pin day the same stale pins on every lanyard then comes you with your pins that have everybody drooling I approach you to make a trade only to be told "I'm sorry these are my keepers". That's a bummer.

Swamp Fox

Swamp_Fox said:
With pins I wish to keep I have a simple rule, don't bring them. It cuts down on those "uhh ohh" moments by trading away one of your keepers by accident. Plus this touches on one of my pin pet peeves, say your walking down Main St. having an off pin day the same stale pins on every lanyard then comes you with your pins that have everybody drooling I approach you to make a trade only to be told "I'm sorry these are my keepers". That's a bummer.

Swamp Fox
Where do you put the ones you have just traded if not on your lanyard. I dont like to put mine in a pocket because they scratch.

I'll keep my eyes open for the green lanyards...with two kids - any trade will make them smile!

Swamp_Fox said:

Swamp Fox

I always assume that the pins people are wearing on their lanyards are the ones they like, and for this reason, I have NEVER gone up to someone and asked to trade. My family always trades with CMs or the big collectors who set up in DD.

We, too, are trying to get the kiddos excited about the upcoming trip with pin collecting and are just getting started. I've been looking on ebay at pins but wonder, will CMs trade CM-issued pins that I buy on ebay or will they only trade the pins made for the general public?
Thanks!

I bought a zippered pouch and I keep up with the pins for the kids. There are "pages" to pin the pins to inside so they are just thrown in there. My dd lost two really good pins off her lanyard so I got the pouch after that. Next trip, they will only get the basic run of the mill pins to wear on their lanyards and I'll keep up with the good tradables or their "keepers"

BONITATIME said:
Where do you put the ones you have just traded if not on your lanyard. I dont like to put mine in a pocket because they scratch.

Yes they will trade the CM pins. Just ask them if they have any "lanyard" pins. If they have any you really like, some of the CM's are very knowledgeable and can tell you if there is a series or set you should be looking for. For instance, we got the monorail set and bus set. I would not have known they were "sets" unless they had told me. Some CM's don't know anything about pins but wear the lanyards as part of their uniforms. We traded for the first time in December and the CM's seemed very helpful to our kids and would make suggestions as to which pins the kids should pick off the CM lanyard. You trade away whatever you want from your stash and pick whatever you want from theirs. The only rules were they could not already have it on their lanyard and there is something about sedesma pins. Just make sure your have official disney pins.

44sun said:
We, too, are trying to get the kiddos excited about the upcoming trip with pin collecting and are just getting started. I've been looking on ebay at pins but wonder, will CMs trade CM-issued pins that I buy on ebay or will they only trade the pins made for the general public?
Thanks!

We bought our kids trader pins from Ebay. But with that being said, I made sure to only buy cast lanyard pins. They can still be cheaper buying the cast lanyard pins from ebay, than buying new pins in the park. I think it stinks that people will cheap junk ones online, and trade the junk pins to get all the great ones. We saw some great pins when we were there this last September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter