Do certain car brands attract buyers who are less likely to keep them up

tvguy said:
Like I posted, the exhaust system was dragging on the ground.

As for loud exhaust on purpose, that would be a whole new thread. ;)

If I go uphill mine drags the ground. And itd not be a good thread to start ;)

Its the same here. I own a Subaru as do several family members. We all love them and they seem more reliable than newer American cars other relatives own. I think its pretty crappy to have a thread making negative generalizations about people (ignorant, lazy, too poor to fix their cars) based on the make of car they own.

It was intended as a thread on people's observations about if certain makes of cars are more likely to be abused. :thumbsup2

This made me laugh because I have a Subaru. The side of it is dented. Twice. It makes a horrendous rattling noise sometimes. It gets washed once or twice a year, maybe. The inside is, um, not so clean. It is over 9 years old. My muffler is not dragging though. I do attend to the mechanical maintenance with regularity, so it gets me where I need to go, and it's paid for.

Perhaps you have seen my Subaru.

My example Subaru looked, fine, other than the exhaust system dragging almost on the ground, and being very load.

I have owned a few subarus, from sti's to legacys, the majorty of the turbo model owners here make them loud on purpose. Can't explain the dragging part, unless they had the suspension done and the car was just lowered and the exhaust wasn't actually dragging.

Over the course of the day yesterday saw 2 relatively new Subaru Outbacks, 1 with the exhaust system hanging down, the second blowing blue smog. Struck me just how many neglected Subaru's I see. Now folks I know that own Subaru's , and keep them up love them, and get good service.

My list of cars that are more likely to be purchased by owners who will not keep them up.

1) Subaru
2) Pontiac
3) Hyundai

Well I have never owned any of those types of cars but I am guilty of not maintaining my own. Cosmetically they look great but other than the car I have now I typically don't keep a car more than 3 years so I usually don't give them the type of routine maintenance that they should have- like tranny fluid change etc.. I trade them in before it becomes an issue-- and its because of people like me I would never buy a used car LOL.

aprilgail2 said:
Well I have never owned any of those types of cars but I am guilty of not maintaining my own. Cosmetically they look great but other than the car I have now I typically don't keep a car more than 3 years so I usually don't give them the type of routine maintenance that they should have- like tranny fluid change etc.. I trade them in before it becomes an issue-- and its because of people like me I would never buy a used car LOL.

So you treat them poorly so that the next person gets a ragged car?

Some cars can take it. My wife has friends who think an oil change is a major repair. They do an oil change every 50,000 miles grudgingly.
Their Nissan pickup went 250,000 miles when they decided to retire it. It was still going strong.

There are TONS of Subarus here and none of them have stuck out as being poorly maintained.

Fwiw, I have a VW and I maintain it very well.

Any car can be a hunk of junk if it's not properly maintained. :confused3 Not sure why Subaru is being singled out...although I am no fan of them I know that the people who own them tend to drive them for years and years.

I'd say most people who drive a 'beater' car don't really do it out of choice...there could be money issues, or maybe it's used for heavy work and hauling, or maybe the owners just don't care. Maybe it's the best darn car they've ever had but dropping a few thousand dollars into making it look 'pretty' is unreasonable to them.

There can be bad-looking Chevy's, Ford's, BMW's, Honda's, Alfa's, Buicks, Mercedes... you name it. Some of the junkiest cars I've seen have been on the racetrack...and you can bet they are meticulously maintained.

Do certain car brands attract buyers who are less likely to keep them up

Can't speak for others, but I buy cheap clunkers regardless of brand. If it gets me from Point A to Point B, it's good enough.

Can't speak for others, but I buy cheap clunkers regardless of brand. If it gets me from Point A to Point B, it's good enough.

I saw a story out of San Francisco (where parking rates are nuts $250 to $400 a month ), where people who had to drive to work in the city would buy a $1,000 clunker, park it on the street to avoid paying for parking, let it run up parking tickets, not pay them, let the city impound the car (usually took about a year for that to happen) and auction it off. They'd just go out and buy another $1,000 car and repeat the cycle. One guy actually bought back his impounded car at the police auction.

I saw a story out of San Francisco (where parking rates are nuts $250 to $400 a month ), where people who had to drive to work in the city would buy a $1,000 clunker, park it on the street to avoid paying for parking, let it run up parking tickets, not pay them, let the city impound the car (usually took about a year for that to happen) and auction it off. They'd just go out and buy another $1,000 car and repeat the cycle. One guy actually bought back his impounded car at the police auction.

That's cheap parking compare to where I live. We pay $500/month for underground parking in our downtown. Sometimes higher.

That's cheap parking compare to where I live. We pay $500/month for underground parking in our downtown. Sometimes higher.

Wow, I never paid for parking in Calgary. But it has been 7 years since I was there. My cousin's offices on 7 Avenue Southwest, his company includes 2 free parking spots, 1 for his personal car, 1 for his company car.

Wow, I never paid for parking in Calgary. But it has been 7 years since I was there. My cousin's offices on 7 Avenue Southwest, his company includes 2 free parking spots, 1 for his personal car, 1 for his company car.

That is a good deal for your cousin. The underground parking facility I'm moving to in a few months is a little over $500 with GST. It is way over priced. There are a little more reasonably priced lots at close to $325, but they are too far away. I might as well take the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter