Do certain car brands attract buyers who are less likely to keep them up

Back to my original post. Are certain brands of cars that you see on the road whose owners seem to be more likely not to keep their cars up?

I don't know..usually when I am driving I am so busy paying attention to my driving and the road and how others are driving so I don't get killed that I have no clue what cars others are actually driving and/or whether or not they properly maintain them.

I think so. Some brands target younger buyers who might not have the money of the financial self-control to maintain their cars. Others target lower-income buyers who might be more likely to experience periods of financial stress that lead to deferred maintenance. And others market heavily to outdoor enthusiasts that are likely to put more hard wear on their cars. I'm not real familiar with Hyundai marketing, but Pontiac fell into that first category and I'd put Subaru in the last.

I don't know..usually when I am driving I am so busy paying attention to my driving and the road and how others are driving so I don't get killed that I have no clue what cars others are actually driving and/or whether or not they properly maintain them.

Saturday's Subaru was while I was stopped at a red light, the loud exhaust was hard to ignore....and the sparks coming up from the muffler dragging on the ground.

No....whats the next thread going to be " Are renters more likely not to keep up with their lawns than homeowners " ?

goodnight :happytv:

Not an issue here. A gardener is usually provided by the landlord to avoid that problem. :)

Hey, no worse than the "Do they have olives on the ship" thread on the cruise line forum.

My experience is that a lot of Subaru owners I see really 'use' their cars.

They drive them off road, maybe do a lot of camping, go to the beach a lot, the mountains, their use is very utilitarian. Some of these owners are unconcerned with the looks of the car. Usually not trying to impress anyone, just want a vehicle that will do what they want it to do.

I've asked about the age of a few Subaru's acquaintances have owned and am usually suprised that the car is much older than I would have guessed.

I'd guess an exhaust system dragging on the ground would most likely be a short term problem awaiting repair, but these things happen when you use your car for more things than the standard commuter.

I'd say different types of people drive different types of cars, some care about appearance more than function, some don't.

Most people I know who drive Subarus keep them for a long time. They take care of it. Perhaps that muffler had just fallen. I doubt that person makes a habit of driving around with a hanging. sparking muffler.

Honestly you seem to hate Subarus. Its weird.

Most people I know who drive Subarus keep them for a long time. They take care of it. Perhaps that muffler had just fallen. I doubt that person makes a habit of driving around with a hanging. sparking muffler.

There's no such thing as a bad car. There are just bad car owners! LOL.

Saturday's Subaru was while I was stopped at a red light, the loud exhaust was hard to ignore....and the sparks coming up from the muffler dragging on the ground.

I would notice the noise and the dragging muffler...wouldn't even take a second look at what kind of car it was. I also would think that maybe the muffler just fell and they couldn't get it to the muffler place immediately. I've had mine fall while I was driving to work. Can't exactly get out of the car and fix it in 5 seconds.

I drive a Hyundai. We maintain it, keep it clean and all the rest. Its falling apart. Its a piece of junk. Just drive down the road and the visor falls off, the gas needle quit working, etc. etc. etc. Will be sooooo glad when I can get rid of it. Others are happy with theirs and wouldn't drive anything else.

Ever think that maybe its the car??

TifffanyD said:
Yup... BMW drivers are jerks.

But don't blame me, I read it in the paper.

And then promptly observed it for myself

Ha. Most are jerks because they think he people already think I am so why not be one. I on the other hand am not. I wash my car as well.

tvguy said:

I have a loud exhaust and it can shot sparks sometimes. Does that mean mine is not maintained or that its purposely built for racing?

Just the most recent example. When maintained, Subaru's seem just fine, my OP also mentioned Pontiac and Hyundai. Since twice as many Hyundais are sold as compared to Subarus, I would expect there to be a greater chance of a rundown Hyundai on the road as compared to Subaru.

I have a loud exhaust and it can shot sparks sometimes. Does that mean mine is not maintained or that its purposely built for racing?

Like I posted, the exhaust system was dragging on the ground.

As for loud exhaust on purpose, that would be a whole new thread. ;)

You made my point. They are decent cars if maintained. My OP is why certain makes seem to draw more people who do NOT maintain their cars.

I didn't read all the posts on here. It seems like this would be related to the person and not actually the vehicle they are driving. What makes one person not maintain one car, then all of a sudden maintain another one. Just because it is another manufacturer. They probably don't maintain their cars because of ignorance, laziness, or lack of funds.

I didn't read all the posts on here. It seems like this would be related to the person and not actually the vehicle they are driving. What makes one person not maintain one car, then all of a sudden maintain another one. Just because it is another manufacturer. They probably don't maintain their cars because of ignorance, laziness, or lack of funds.

Yes. Just seems those people are attracted to certain cars.

You keep mentioning Pontiacs which haven't been made in quite a while. Chances are that if you see one on the road then it has a lot of miles on it.

I know people who collect vintage cars and one is into old Pontiacs. I'll have to let him know that he must be 'that' type of person. ;)

You keep mentioning Pontiacs which haven't been made in quite a while. Chances are that if you see one on the road then it has a lot of miles on it.

I know people who collect vintage cars and one is into old Pontiacs. I'll have to let him know that he must be 'that' type of person. ;)

Stopped making Pontiacs in 2010. So not all that long ago. Of course, my family car is 26 years old. ;) Just an example though over what I have noticed over the years.

Stopped making Pontiacs in 2010. So not all that long ago. Of course, my family car is 26 years old. ;) Just an example though over what I have noticed over the years.

You probably noticed it over the years because of your strange fixations on why fords and chevys are so much better than foreign cars and why people are stupid for not driving their cars for 30 years. You probably came up with some weird theory about people who drive cars you don't approve of and only notice when a vehicle fits your theory.

The only cars around here that are always in disrepair are pickups and American made cars.:rolleyes1
We have had several Subarus in our family (have 2 right now) and they are not only super-reliable, but well cared for!:cool2:

The only cars around here that are always in disrepair are pickups and American made cars.:rolleyes1
We have had several Subarus in our family (have 2 right now) and they are not only super-reliable, but well cared for!:cool2:

Its the same here. I own a Subaru as do several family members. We all love them and they seem more reliable than newer American cars other relatives own. I think its pretty crappy to have a thread making negative generalizations about people (ignorant, lazy, too poor to fix their cars) based on the make of car they own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter