Do camera stores carry stock any more?

BirdsOfPreyDave

Disney Lover, DVC Member, SSR Fanatic
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I'm a big believer in online shopping so I guess I only have myself to blame that there's no such thing as a well-stocked camera store in my area. I'm really thinking about the Canon EF 24mm-105mm f/4L IS USM as my first piece of "L" glass. I wanted to actually look at it and try a few shots before committing, though. More importantly, there was a big festival in town this weekend, and if I liked it, I was looking forward to getting some use out of it.

I called every store listed on Canon's web site within 120 miles of me. I also did a Google search, then did an EBay search to see if any of the Buy-It-Now auctions were near Virginia. Not only could I not find anyone within driving distance with the specific lens in stock, I only found two stores that had any Canon L-series lenses at all. (One store had one lens, the other store had two.)

Guess you've got to live in NYC to walk into a store and buy a nice lens any more?

I'm a big believer in online shopping so I guess I only have myself to blame that there's no such thing as a well-stocked camera store in my area. I'm really thinking about the Canon EF 24mm-105mm f/4L IS USM as my first piece of "L" glass. I wanted to actually look at it and try a few shots before committing, though. More importantly, there was a big festival in town this weekend, and if I liked it, I was looking forward to getting some use out of it.

I called every store listed on Canon's web site within 120 miles of me. I also did a Google search, then did an EBay search to see if any of the Buy-It-Now auctions were near Virginia. Not only could I not find anyone within driving distance with the specific lens in stock, I only found two stores that had any Canon L-series lenses at all. (One store had one lens, the other store had two.)

Guess you've got to live in NYC to walk into a store and buy a nice lens any more?

I guess so. Stores like Best Buy, HH Gregg, etc. have replaced the local camera stores.
Adorama and B&H have a 30 day return policy so you can try out a lens and if you don't like it return it

I guess I'm lucky to have a handful of full service camera shops here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that do stock all thngs Canon and Nikon here. And one or two that have the "other" brands.

I'd suggest renting it before buying! I rent all L series glass before buying! try borrowedlenses.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter