Do all car rental places charge more for 22 year olds?

blessedby3

Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my userna
My dd22 is getting married in July and she and her new DH will be renting a vehicle at Ft Myers. Hertz is charging an extra $75-$90 because of their age....do all places do this? Just wondering if one is better than the other for younger drivers. Thanks

Some insurance companies have contracts with the major rental agencies to waive this fee. I am with USAA and the fee is waived if I rent using a link from the USAA web site. Maybe their insurance company has a similar progam.

Hertz usually has codes to eliminate the under 25 fee, but you may not be able to use other discounts in conjunction. For the most part, rental agencies charge more for 21 - 24 and even more for 18 - 20 year olds.

If you're under 25, it is much more difficult to rent a car (with good reason). Do a Google search for car rental under age 25 and you'll find a lot of good information.

If either of them are still in College then they can often use the discount available from their school. That rate often waives the underage driver fees, some may even include LDW. Just double check with the school that students can use the code for personal travel. Best of luck.

Rental car agencies really don't like you if you are under 25, even more so if you don't have a credit card. For either of these it is possible to still rent a car, but it is much harder and you'll want to contact your rental car company well in advance.

I noticed that Hertz is back in the MCO terminal vs. being a few miles away. So much nicer.

Thanks for the replies:thumbsup2 They will graduate college in May, so no school discount for them. They are also flying into Ft Myers, not MCO. I already have them a rate reserved and I dont think it is too bad...I just noticed that they had the extra fee on there and wondered if all did this. I got them a compact for 6 days for $322 including the fee. I agree about it being difficult not having a credit card. I have spoken with Hertz about this already and my DD's Fiance has aquired a credit card from his bank.

I'm glad you asked this question, as I had a similar experience yesterday trying to add my DD(22) to our Alamo rental in May. I was filling out the "Save Time" questionnaire, and decided to try to add her as a driver for the first time (she and I often travel together, alone) - noticed when I did that they added over $200 to the rate!:scared1:

I quickly backed out of the page, and did not add a driver, but wondered what we would do if she needed a car without me. She is in college, so maybe that will help, should the need arise.:confused:

Your daughter needs the car without you. You'd have to call the agency and have her added. That might require a trip to a rental location. Your personal auto policy, rental coverage via your credit card and any coverage you bought from the rental agency would be void if you don't.

Some employers have a corporate code which waives the young driver charge and is allowed for leisure rentals.

Otherwise price total cost. Sometimes an agency will waive the underage driver charge but not allow any discounts or coupons. Sometimes small agencies like Rent a Wreck offer lower surcharges. At one time some colleges had a discount code available to members of their alumni association.

LewisC - thanks, very good info. We had one incident where I had to make a trip to the ER while DD and a friend were in the MK. We drove our own car that trip, so had she needed to come to the hospital it wouldn't have been an issue. But I have wondered since what we would do if we had a rental.

I think in that situation, we would simply have her take a cab, after reading your post. Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter