DNC Watchers/Listeners: Check in here!

BedKnobbery2

<font color=blue>Saucy Pants!<br><font color=red>W
I've seen a few threads, but thought maybe we could use a thread devoted to discussion/question/comment on the DNC as it continues onward.

Wow, there were some dynamic and surprising speakers yesterday, weren't there? I was so moved by Carter's speech, I was actually misty eyed. What a statement. What a speech! Good job, Jimmy! :cheer2:

I also enjoyed Tom Menino's speech, if only for the real Bahston Flavah it gave the nation. ;)

I missed Gore (on phone with my Mom) and fell asleep just before 10pm, so missed the Clintons as well, although I've been reading about their speeches, and listening to radio commentary regarding the same.

I also enjoyed the numerous Congresspeople and Senators who spoke, as well as the every day citizens who were given that honor as well. All in all, a great first day! I'm very eager for the rest.

I'm watching mostly on C-Span, because I prefer to form my own opinions on what's being said rather than being told how to interpret what's going on. During the musical numbers or lulls, I'll flip through and see what the networks have to say.

So! There's my thoughts. Anyone else?

The link you left on the other thread to this one is not working....and neither is the search function....I had to scroll through the threads to find you. that may be why no one has shown up at your party yet:wave2:

I am with you in the "moved" boat. I was moved right from the national anthem. It just felt so inspiring to see people of so many different shapes and sizes and backgrounds come together as so many had for generations before them.

The speeches were excellent. Gore hit just the right notes. Carter is extremely well respected throughout the world. He is a good and decent man who seldom speaks ill of others. That made his indictments, given in that soft gently southern voice, particularly damning.

The black reverend who spoke about Kerry's actions in the military ( sorry, I forgot his name ) was so eloquent. After hearing his speech one of the Republican commentators, Scarborough, said that he now could sleep safely with Kerry at the helm.

The problem I outlined earlier is that Carter is much more respected abroad than at home. His indictments of the Bush administration naturally lead one to think of Carter's own administration. I don't think that's a good approach for the Democrats to take (speaking as one who is unlikely to support most Democrats).

Bill Clinton, on the other hand, I think provides more appeal to the Democratic Party. He speaks to more than just the party faithful. Everyone inside the convention hall is already going to vote Democratic. They need to use this forum to convince the independents to vote for them. Bringing Carter out to talk about leadership won't do that.

Thanks for the heads-up, fik! LOL I was beginning to think I was the only person watching, which I found hard to believe!

Actually, jr, I think you are only part right; those who were adults during the Carter admin may respond as you suggest; but those of us who were not (myself included) get the bulk of their impression of him from the work he has done since that time. My thoughts about him have always been that he is a soft-spoken, thoughtful, concerned man who has devoted his life to improving the world around him and the lives of those less fortunate than he is. Of course, I am *aware* of the general consensus regarding his stint as president, but truly, you rarely hear about that these days, if at all. (For the record, I was 7 years old when he took office.)

So, what do those watching feel about day 2? I was a tad let-down, but I think only because day 1 had so many phenomenal speakers. Not that Day 2's speakers were bad, they weren't at all, but you know what I mean? Plus I missed THK's speech--I finally had to go to bed, and stayed up only through the filmed intro and her son's words about her. Darn my stubborn internal clock. LOL I did learn a lot more about her than I knew prior, though, from the film. I knew about her philanthropic works and her previous marriage, but knew very little about her otherwise.

I'm really looking forward to tonight. Man, I can't believe how much I love this stuff. It makes me wish my dad were still alive, even though we'd be arguing like crazy, I know he'd be as charged up about the conventions as I am.

Fair enough, BedKnobbery2. But, of course, older voters tend to turn out in larger numbers.

Did you see any of the speeches last night? I saw Howard Dean and Barak Obama. Dean only seemed to get passionate when he was talking about being proud to be a Democrat, not ashamed. I'm not sure if it was purposeful on his part to try to counteract the image of him as an angry man, but I didn't think it worked particularly well for him. He's a passionate guy. Let him do what he does best.

As for Obama, I think his was far and away the best speech I've seen out of the convention. Excellent speaker with a good, positive message that appeals to most people (not just the Dems base). The Dems would do well to keep him in the spotlight.

In reading everything now that people are saying about last night, I think my feelings of being let down are the fault of my not seeing the right speakers; unfortunately, I was on the phone a lot last night (work issues & a friend in need) and missed the bulk of them. I can only read the transcripts while at work, but I am most definitely planning to find some videos online when I get home this afternoon. Can anyone suggest a good website for such?

I think CSPAN's site has the videos of all the speeches. Haven't actually watched them on the site, but they're listed.

BedKnobbery2,

Obama's speech last night was pure gold. I suspect we will be seeing clips from it for a very long time. I have always pondered how one person breaks out so far ahead of the pack. How was there a Gretzsky?...so far superior to other players that he changed the very nature of the game?...or a Tiger Woods? That is what I saw last night in Obama. I am eager to follow his career.

So many love Ted Kennedy, I don't. So I was not as enthused about his speech as some.

I agree that Dean seemed too controlled. It does not work well with him. But bless him for bringing the party bacck to life.

As to Teresa....well, she certainly is a change. They will try to crucify her if Kerry wins. I suspect she is up to the challenge.

Bonus points to you FIK, for a good call on Obama ;) I hadn't heard much of the guy before.

Wow! Glad to find this thread...

Barak Obama, he is the man.

Let me say I hate to watch these things. I am watching it now because I want to make the best informed decision in November.

I did not know who Barak was before last night. I can see why he won in Ill. He is an amazing, positive speaker.

Lisa

Another c-span watcher here.

I love Jimmy Carter...he is one of my favorite people.

I hate to say it, but Teresa was dull. The substance of what she was saying was great, but dull dull delivery. (But is she the sexiest 65 year old woman ever, or what?)

I'm so disappointed that I missed Obama's speech. I can't wait to see it tonight.

Originally posted by missypie

I hate to say it, but Teresa was dull. The substance of what she was saying was great, but dull dull delivery. (But is she the sexiest 65 year old woman ever, or what?)

missy, I can't comment on her speech, but I agree about her appearance--I was shocked when they stated her age; I'd have placed her much closer to 50 (and looking great for that age) than 65. She certainly does look fantastic. I like her look far better when her hair is sort of loose and wild, though, than when she's going for a more polished look. (sorry to lapse into girly type talk here...lol...but hey, sometimes we notice these things!)

Originally posted by jrydberg
Fair enough, BedKnobbery2. But, of course, older voters tend to turn out in larger numbers.

I've been a broken record on this point, but I'll bring it up again...I truly believe many will be surprised by the turnout of youth voters this November. There is a change in the nature of our youth and it is positive. All of my daughter's classmates (all 600 of them) registered to vote at their Senior breakfast last May.

I am also watching via C-Span. As one who has been to past conventions as a delegate, watching C-Span is really as close to being there as you can get (the intensely boring moments are covered too). It is very good coverage without interruption or spewing heads talking through the speaches.

So, Here I am checking in, with coffee in hand as I am absolutely exhausted from this and can't wait until Friday morning because I can't seem to go to sleep - If I did, I might miss a moment like last night and the 13 year old saying Cheney needs a time-out.
:rotfl: Now that was good TV!

Originally posted by castlegazer
If I did, I might miss a moment like last night and the 13 year old saying Cheney needs a time-out.
:rotfl: Now that was good TV!
That cracked me up !!! I couldn't tell, but it sounded like the crowd was chanting "Time Out !" after she left the stage, too :teeth: One of the funniest things I've seen at a convention !

Originally posted by missypie

I would characterize her speech as subtle, not dull. Keep in mind, her career has not depended upon her perfecting the art of the political speech. I loved her comment about opinionated women--she looks forward to the time when women won't be called opinionated but smart and well-informed, just like men.

I think that is so true. While women have come a long way and our opportunites are (almost) unlimited, it's still hard to be a strong woman.

This morning my husband and I discussed her speech. I said that John Kerry had to be a pretty decent and secure man to be married to a strong woman like Teresa. His reply: you've got that right ;)

Funny comic...

po040727.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter