DME vs Hertz on a time crunch

wdwfan757

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone,

We're heading down to MCO Friday, late afternoon. We're supposed to land around 5:30. We're just in town until late Sunday (yes, this trip is actually being referred to by us as "Emergency Maelstrom Trip", so we opted to do MNSSHP on Friday evening, just because it's the only major event we've never done. We're staying at Coronado Springs. Originally, I'd planned to just rent a car at MCO (It was only 45 bucks for our whole weekend) and drive straight to TTC. Then we realized that we weren't going to fly in our MNSSHP costumes (i'm leaving for the airport straight from work). So we're probably going to want to check into the hotel , change really quickly, then head out to the party. There are 2 issues with this car rental.

1) Time lost picking up a car at Hertz. I've actually never rented a car at MCO. We either drive from VA or we take the DME from MCO. The last time I remember picking up a car at MCO, I was a little kid and, as one would expect, I thought the process took forever. Can anyone give a brief estimate of how long it takes to get through the line at the counter?

2) Time lost parking and getting from TTC to MK. I'd imagine that we're not really going to save any time driving from CS to MK vs taking the bus once you factor in parking and monorailing/boating your way to the front gate.

So, transportation experts, you land at 5:30pm and you want to get to the halloween party as quickly as possible (while still being able to change into costumes)... How would you do it?!

Note that I don't mind being a little bit late to the party, we can catch the second parade and the fireworks are late. We're kind of just going because it let us knock out a chunk of our MK to-do list before we dedicated all day saturday to F&W and maelstrom.

I would just say we should change in the car, but i'm 6'3 and I don't think I can change into an ironman costume in a ford focus... nor am I capable of being that guy stepping out of an MCO bathroom in a rubber body suit

Renting a car these days at MCO is very easy. Not sure about Hertz, but most rental companies have their desks right at the airport; no shuttling necessary. If you've got the reservation made already, then you may have to answer some questions about whether you want insurance, etc., but you should be in your car and heading there within 5 minutes or so. If you have any kind of loyalty program with the rental company, it could possibly be even quicker.

I personally wouldn't drive all the way to CSR just to change more easily. I'd just drive straight to the TTC from MCO. Even if you're tall, you should be able to change in your car once it's parked at the TTC. A little bit of hassle in this regard is easily worth avoiding that extra driving. Just push the seat back and turn off any interior lights. You would probably be charged for parking in this scenario, because you wouldn't have your parking pass yet. But keep your receipt and they can reimburse you later at CSR.

Yes, there is the time taken to get between the TTC and MK, but I think that would only be a fraction of the time it would take to drive all the way to CSR, change, wait for a bus, and ride back to MK.

At any rate, you probably won't quite make it right at the beginning of MNSSHP, but you shouldn't be terribly late.

Renting a car these days at MCO is very easy. Not sure about Hertz, but most rental companies have their desks right at the airport; no shuttling necessary. If you've got the reservation made already, then you may have to answer some questions about whether you want insurance, etc., but you should be in your car and heading there within 5 minutes or so. If you have any kind of loyalty program with the rental company, it could possibly be even quicker.

I personally wouldn't drive all the way to CSR just to change more easily. I'd just drive straight to the TTC from MCO. Even if you're tall, you should be able to change in your car once it's parked at the TTC. A little bit of hassle in this regard is easily worth avoiding that extra driving. Just push the seat back and turn off any interior lights. You would probably be charged for parking in this scenario, because you wouldn't have your parking pass yet. But keep your receipt and they can reimburse you later at CSR.

Yes, there is the time taken to get between the TTC and MK, but I think that would only be a fraction of the time it would take to drive all the way to CSR, change, wait for a bus, and ride back to MK.

At any rate, you probably won't quite make it right at the beginning of MNSSHP, but you shouldn't be terribly late.

Excellent. I have Hertz Gold, so that should speed up things, and my parking is covered with my annual pass. It's only 6 more dollars to upgrade to an SUV, which should make my changing efforts significantly more comfortable.

Excellent. I have Hertz Gold, so that should speed up things, and my parking is covered with my annual pass. It's only 6 more dollars to upgrade to an SUV, which should make my changing efforts significantly more comfortable.

No brainer there. :rotfl2: Get that SUV.

Also, please ride Maelstrom a few extra times for my sake. I'm heartbroken about that (and the loss of the mini-museum in the Stave Church), but will not be able to make it down before it disappears, disappears, disappears. :sad1:

No brainer there. :rotfl2: Get that SUV.

Also, please ride Maelstrom a few extra times for my sake. I'm heartbroken about that (and the loss of the mini-museum in the Stave Church), but will not be able to make it down before it disappears, disappears, disappears. :sad1:

Years ago, I made my first trip back to WDW as an "adult", and the one ride I really remembered fondly was Maelstrom... so I absolutely feel your pain. I actually refused to watch Frozen under the grounds that my movie ticket, movie rental, or dvd purchase would be the final straw that pushed disney into the decision to turnover Maelstrom. I've got my Maelstrom T shirt and I fully intend on riding it at least once an hour Saturday. I will be sure to pour out some Linea Aquavit in your honor...

to watch the movie for me??? I love the ride and always stay to watch the movie (everyone else in my party high tails it out!!) So sad at Maelstrom's demise even though I do love Frozen. I think I am with many (most) here who feel that World Showcase is not the right place for this.

What if you just got a taxi or towncar from MCO to your resort, or even straight to TTC. It would be faster than DME, and save you the time/hassle of renting a car. You can store your carry on bag in a locker at MK if necessary, and change into your costume either once you get to MK or at TTC (assuming theres restrooms?).

I was in a very similar situation this month, touched down at 5:30 and rented from Hertz to save time. With Gold it takes no time at all.

As long as you are a hertz gold member it will be much quicker to rent a car. For gold members you can just go directly to the car lot which is a very short walk outside the terminal and get the car. No need to stop at the desk. With in 10-15 minutes you'll be on your way. Plus since you aren't making multiple stops or waiting for anyone but your family you will definitely beat magical express to your hotel.

We've only rented a car one time at Disney in the past 5 years but that was just in June (In-Laws time share, stayed off site, long story but not happy about renting a car!)

We got in on a flight at 7:40am and were able to collect our luggage, rent the car, put in the two car seats, and still make rope drop at Animal Kingdom that morning at 8:50. The airport might be busier at that time in the evening though so I'm not sure that is typical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter