DME timing

SunnyDey

Mouseketeer
On our last day, we plan to go to AK for a couple hours before taking DME to MCO. Our flight leaves at 4:35 p.m., so I am assuming the DME would pick us up around 1:30 from AKL (Animal Kingdom Lodge). My daughter really wants to see Finding Nemo on that final morning, and the first showing is not until 11 a.m. It gets over at 11:45 a.m. AKL is a short drive from AK, but I worry about the timing of the buses at the parks and how long we will have to wait.

Do you think we can make it back in time for DME at around 1:30 if rapidly exit the park right before noon? Or is it too much of a risk?

If you check your luggage at the RAC desk that morning and only have to literally get off the bus from the park and wait for the DME bus you should be OK. If you need to go back to the room or to bell services to get carry-ons and other stuff you may be pushing it.

Thinking worse case scenario and timing:
1145 FN ends
1215 finish walk to front of park and bus area
1245 get on next available bus to AKL (assume maximum wait of ~30 mins for next bus to AKL)
1300 get off at lobby at AKL (Are you staying at Kidani or Jambo House?)

That gives you roughly half an hour wiggle room.

I would not rely on a Disney bus to get back to the resort if you want to do this. Just take an Uber or cab.

If you check your luggage at the RAC desk that morning and only have to literally get off the bus from the park and wait for the DME bus you should be OK. If you need to go back to the room or to bell services to get carry-ons and other stuff you may be pushing it.

Thinking worse case scenario and timing:
1145 FN ends
1215 finish walk to front of park and bus area
1245 get on next available bus to AKL (assume maximum wait of ~30 mins for next bus to AKL)
1300 get off at lobby at AKL (Are you staying at Kidani or Jambo House?)

That gives you roughly half an hour wiggle room.

Yes, we will check the luggage in the morning, but we will probably have to go to bell services to get two carry ons. We are staying at Jambo House.

I think this is doable. However, set a time limit for yourself... if you're not on a bus by 12:30, get a cab or uber. It can also depend on your pickup time. It could be as early as 1:20 or as late as 1:50. If pickup time is 1:20, I'd want to be on a bus by 12:15.

Shoot to be back at your resort an hour before your Magical Express bus time.

So for a 1:20 bus time, you should have in the back of your mind setting foot at your resort at 12:20.

That way, an unexpected last minute bathroom break at the park or a wait for the back to your resort that is a little too long won't necessarily make you anxious.

Get snacks back at your resort while waiting for the DME bus, or at the airport at the small gate area food court after clearing security.

Last edited:
I think this is doable. However, set a time limit for yourself... if you're not on a bus by 12:30, get a cab or uber. It can also depend on your pickup time. It could be as early as 1:20 or as late as 1:50. If pickup time is 1:20, I'd want to be on a bus by 12:15.
This!!! It should be fine. If the buses are running as expected, you'll be back at JH by 12:15. But, if you just miss the bus to AKL, and the next one takes it's sweet time in getting to AK, then it may take you an hour to get back!! As noted, if the bus isn't there by 12:30, find a cab/Uber.

Thanks everyone for your help! We will just watch our time and have a back up plan in mind. We have one child that needs a car seat. Is our best bet one of the Minnie vans through Lyft since those have car seats? They are currently traveling to AKL now, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter