DME luggage question - need an answer quick!

stitchfan18

DIS Veteran
We're at our layover now and our flight was delayed and is now scheduled to arrive at 10:00. The tags are on our bags, so will we claim them ourselves, or will disney take care of it?

Since you have tagged them Disney will take care of them. Your luggage will arrive in the morning. DME luggage service stops at 10:00 p.m By the time you land and taxi to the gate and the luggage gets off the plane will be past 10:00 so you will get your luggage in the morning.

If it lands just after 10, they will take the bags as well? We packed a carryon with what we needed for the night, I just want to make sure they aren't sitting out at the airport waiting for us to claim.

Yes all luggage with a yellow Disney tag is taken from the plane to a special holding area in the luggage area. It is never put out in the public area

Will try to be quick. It's been a few years, but I have had two separate experiences of missing connecting flights or flight delays.

The first time I missed my connecting flight, but my luggage made it for some reason. When I got to ME to say I was there and didn't know where my luggage was, they said it was at Pop Century waiting for me.

The second missed flight made me arrive at 10:30 pm. I also had a carry on and assumed my yellow tagged luggage would be delivered in the morning since I was arriving after 10 pm. I can't remember the order of things, but when I got to the ME desk, they said that the people at the baggage carousel were looking for me to get my luggage. I don't know if that was for my benefit or not. I was glad it happened that way so that I could have all of my luggage with me on the ME bus.

My personal opinion is that I would take the time to go to the baggage carousel when you arrive at MCO and see if you can pick up your luggage to take with you on the ME bus.

I'm curious to hear how this works out for you.

Good luck!!

Yes all luggage with a yellow Disney tag is taken from the plane to a special holding area in the luggage area. It is never put out in the public area

Are you sure about that? Most here have been told that if you don't arrive before 10pm, you have to either get them yourself, at baggage claim, or when they aren't claimed, will be taken to another area. But we have been led to believe that yellow tagged bags arriving after 10pm are treated no differently than I tagged bags.

Have you heard something different? That would make a lot of people feel better...the thought of their bags, going around and around, at baggage claim makes a lot of people very uncomfortable.

Are you sure about that? Most here have been told that if you don't arrive before 10pm, you have to either get them yourself, at baggage claim, or when they aren't claimed, will be taken to another area. But we have been led to believe that yellow tagged bags arriving after 10pm are treated no differently than I tagged bags.

Have you heard something different? That would make a lot of people feel better...the thought of their bags, going around and around, at baggage claim makes a lot of people very uncomfortable.

It would be great to have a definitive answer on this because the odds of this happening to me again aren't the best. Hope the OP posts their experience.

Like I said, it has been a few years, but I'm thinking that my after 10 pm yellow tagged luggage was in a room very near the carousel. That it wasn't going around and around on the carousel, but sitting in this room and I could see it through the window. It's been some time though and procedures could vary now.

It would be great to have a definitive answer on this because the odds of this happening to me again aren't the best. Hope the OP posts their experience.

Like I said, it has been a few years, but I'm thinking that my after 10 pm yellow tagged luggage was in a room very near the carousel. That it wasn't going around and around on the carousel, but sitting in this room and I could see it through the window. It's been some time though and procedures could vary now.

I imagine that any bag that isn't picked up at baggage claim will go into a holding room. Do you remember how much time had gone by when you got to the DME counter? If it took you a fair amount of time, the workers may have just removed your bags from the carousel. It would be nice if the tagged bags were taken away and put aside vs being put out on the carousel. Would be interesting to know.

We ended up leaving a little early and made up some time in the air, so we actually landed at 9:45. We made it to the ME area around 10:10, and they said our bags would be claimed since our tags are on them and we landed before 10.

We ended up leaving a little early and made up some time in the air, so we actually landed at 9:45. We made it to the ME area around 10:10, and they said our bags would be claimed since our tags are on them and we landed before 10.

Glad everything worked out for you! Thanks for letting us know! Have fun!!!

I imagine that any bag that isn't picked up at baggage claim will go into a holding room. Do you remember how much time had gone by when you got to the DME counter? If it took you a fair amount of time, the workers may have just removed your bags from the carousel. It would be nice if the tagged bags were taken away and put aside vs being put out on the carousel. Would be interesting to know.

I found my notes, but I wish I had written more about it at the time. Plane landed at 10:50. I didn't write down any other times, but I usually don't hurry too much from the plane, make a rest stop, and get organized. From my notes: Went to ME. No information on my luggage yet. Sent me to baggage claim. On the way back to baggage claim, a guy asked me if I was Collette because he said he saw my ME ticket. They were looking for me to pick up my luggage because it was after 10.

I'm fairly certain I mentioned about my earlier experience and thinking it would be delivered the next day.

I guess it wasn't ME that told me they were looking for me - I just happened to walk by the guy who was. And when we walked back there, that is when I saw my luggage through the window.

I knew the rule for after 10 for planned late flights. I never thought about checking for my luggage on an unplanned late flight because I assumed the yellow tagged luggage was pulled before it got to the carousel and I wouldn't have access to it.

So many questions I wish I would have asked at the time!

No experience myself but my flight is due to land at 9:46. I called and asked what would happen if we landed after 10. I was told I had to get my bags or they would be held by the airline and I would have to make my own arrangements to get them from the airport. She explicitly told me they wouldn't just be delivered the next day.

I knew the rule for after 10 for planned late flights. I never thought about checking for my luggage on an unplanned late flight because I assumed the yellow tagged luggage was pulled before it got to the carousel and I wouldn't have access to it.

So many questions I wish I would have asked at the time!

I understand wishing you'd asked more questions. :)

What people here say is that the DME luggage-pullers leave AT 10pm, so there's no one there to pull the luggage before it gets to the carousel.

No experience myself but my flight is due to land at 9:46. I called and asked what would happen if we landed after 10. I was told I had to get my bags or they would be held by the airline and I would have to make my own arrangements to get them from the airport. She explicitly told me they wouldn't just be delivered the next day.

But....I swear there was a recent post that said that someone did actually take the bags back, and they were delivered the next day. Obviously not the DME people, but someone luggage/airport-related.

But....I swear there was a recent post that said that someone did actually take the bags back, and they were delivered the next day. Obviously not the DME people, but someone luggage/airport-related.
I'm not going to risk it and plan to collect my bags if we land after ten, but going to keep all my fingers crossed we land early/on time.
I would think they do deliver the next day. I'm just not going to risk it since we wouldn't know until very late the next day after being in a park all day.

What people here say is that the DME luggage-pullers leave AT 10pm, so there's no one there to pull the luggage before it gets to the carousel.

That really explains almost everything relating to this.

I'm still thinking that at the time this happened to me, there was information like a previous poster also said - that yellow tagged luggage would be delivered the next day if your flight was delayed. I really thought I wouldn't have access to it that night.

The official site currently says this: "If your flight arrives before 5:00 AM or after 10:00 PM, please collect your luggage at baggage claim to bring with you on the motorcoach."

That certainly is clear enough. But maybe they could add something like: This includes yellow tagged luggage on flights that are inadvertently delayed.

Or something like that for people like me who need all details covered :)

The official site currently says this: "If your flight arrives before 5:00 AM or after 10:00 PM, please collect your luggage at baggage claim to bring with you on the motorcoach."

That certainly is clear enough. But maybe they could add something like: This includes yellow tagged luggage on flights that are inadvertently delayed.

Or something like that for people like me who need all details covered :)
Exactly!!!:thumbsup2

This is not true after 10:00 pm. It will go on the carousel with the rest of the luggage and eventually it will be taken to the unclaimed baggage office.

Blatantly incorrect info. They most certainly will be delivered the following day. Not sure who gave that info. But many here have had their bags delivered the following day.

Here's my thinking. If I'm going to land at any time after 7pm, I'm not tagging my bags. I'll go get them myself, and bring them to the bus with me. It takes about 80-80 mins, from gate to resort. After that its up to 3 hrs after resort check in before my bags get there. Yes, it could be sooner. But, if I land at, say, 7:30pm, I will probably get to my resort by 9. Then, it could midnight before my bags get to my room!

As someone who has arrived after 10 pm on several occasions, I can verify that YOU have to collect your luggage from the carousel and take it to the MDE. We were told by luggage handlers in MCO that the luggage left there goes to the unclaimed luggage area, and I don't think Disney will check in the morning. Their handlers only take luggage directly from unloading area, they certainly don't go searching for luggage left behind the night before....maybe someone from MCO directed them to it in the past, but I don't think that is the norm.

The rule is quite arbitrary although simply worded. If your plane arrives after 10 PM you should go to the carousels to get your bags, with or without Magical Express yellow tags attached.

If you don't find your bags there, file a baggage claim before leaving the area.

Yellow DME tagged bags at the airport are summarily removed to the resorts unsynchronized with guest movements. However bags that were unclaimed from the carousels late at night and put into storage could possibly go unnoticed until after a chain of kibitzing commencing with your report to your resort's front desk the next day of the bags' non-arrival in your room.

One thing should be noted; Disney reserves the right not to pay you any money if yellow tagged bags got lost forever by your airline and you arrived in Orlando after 10 PM and allowed DME to handle the bags in the morning. Disney could say that you did not follow the DME instructions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter