DME and/or Southwest lost our bags...but, we may have been in error, not them!!

I was thinking about this possibility as well when I wrote my reply above. I wasn't sure with security the way it is these days if an airline would transport someone's bags on a different flight. If they do, then I think this is a likely what happened. The OP's bags arrived at MCO early in the day and were sent on ahead and were sitting in the airline's office at baggage claim at their home airport.

Here's the deal.. .the airline can send your luggage earlier but I believe if you get off the plane they have to go dig it out. Basically you can't "choose" to have your luggage go without you, that's a TSA red flag!

For those of you not getting check bag tags?? HUH? Start asking for them! And LOOK at them folks! I once had bags checked to Panama City, Panama instead of Panama City, Florida. Trust me, if I hadn't noticed I would never have seen those bags again!

Here's the deal.. .the airline can send your luggage earlier but I believe if you get off the plane they have to go dig it out. Basically you can't "choose" to have your luggage go without you, that's a TSA red flag!
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

For those of you not getting check bag tags?? HUH? Start asking for them! And LOOK at them folks! I once had bags checked to Panama City, Panama instead of Panama City, Florida. Trust me, if I hadn't noticed I would never have seen those bags again!
Excellent advice. We once had an airline employee who was working several check-in kiosks at once mix up the tags.

I always check the tags as they are put on my bags!! And I never leave the counter without those baggage claim receipts!!
My mother, dd and I, many years ago, were flying from Seattle to Providence. We had a connection in Newark. Not a terrific place to be under the best circumstances. Our flight to Providence kept being delayed. Finally our flight got off the ground...3 hrs later. My dh was picking us up, he isn't known for his patience. So I was concerned as to how he was dealing with this.
When we arrived in Providence, he met us in baggage claim, saying to just go out to the car. I said but we have to get our bags! Nope, they had arrived about 3 hrs earlier!! Makes you feel terrific knowing that your bags can travel without you, then sit out there, in public view, on the baggage carousel!

I am stunned by the reports of bags flying without the owners on board. That was one of the big lessons learned from Lockerbie (Pan Am 103) in 1988 and Air India 182 in 1985. Both planes were brought down mid flight by bombs in bags that were checked in but without the person checking it in on board. That was never supposed to happen again. How is this possibly happening in the US?

RAC got our two parties bags swapped to each others destination. We put the luggage in two groups, then one at a time told RAC which group was going where. He asked again a couple times to double check as he put the tags on the luggage. We weren't close enough to see the tags ourselves though. At our home airport we noticed our other parties luggage and they called saying they found ours. Southwest delivered our luggage to our homes the next day.

I am stunned by the reports of bags flying without the owners on board. That was one of the big lessons learned from Lockerbie (Pan Am 103) in 1988 and Air India 182 in 1985. Both planes were brought down mid flight by bombs in bags that were checked in but without the person checking it in on board. That was never supposed to happen again. How is this possibly happening in the US?

In the cases described by prior posters, it appears they are unaware that they are traveling separate from their luggage. There isn't a security concern if the passenger doesn't know that they've been separated from their bags. However, it's probably annoying to find out upon arrival that the bags weren't on the plane.

But since the TSA now screens all bags the examples cited above should not be relevant. After all they are checking your bags now (said in tone dripping with sarcasm)

Basically the rule is if you do not show up for the flight your bags get pulled. If SW fails to put them on the wrong plane the bags can travel without you, you just can't choose to travel without them.

I remember one time I flew DFW-PIT and I did standby on an earlier flight. They tagged my luggage for the earlier flight. Got to the gate and they announced that not only were the standbys not being accepted, they had to take 3 or 4 ticketed people off for weight and balance (it was a CRJ). So I had to wait for my original flight. Got to PIT and my luggage did not come off the carousel. I went to the office and there was my luggage! They kicked people off for weight but still loaded my luggage!

You can't 'ask' that your baggage be sent on a different flight! The airlines, themselves, make this decision. It's usually to benefit them by opening up space in cargo.

To be fair, only one person is saying that she doesn't get check bag tags. Thankfully, it seems to be an isolated situation. And nice catch there! Good thing you checked.

I do like that both American and Delta have bag tracking on their apps. Unless something has changed recently, Southwest does not offer this option on their app but it would be good if they'd add it
Oddly, on our flights last Sunday they showed our bags "checked in" as soon as RAC printed the bag tags and left them on our door. When in reality our bags were still in our room. Luckily they updated and tracked properly and followed us on our flights.

Because humans make mistakes? Grab the bag and put it on the wrong flight?
Because of space issues?
Who knows.
I know last December we had 8 bags checked in with RAC and when we got home 6 came off the plane. Other 2, arrived hours earlier and were waiting in the baggage office (Southwest)
I don't think it's all that uncommon, especially if bags are checked and loaded at the airport hours prior to a flight.
We always fly out at night and we always use RAC at the resort so our bags are where ever it is bags hang out for hours.

You can't 'ask' that your baggage be sent on a different flight! The airlines, themselves, make this decision. It's usually to benefit them by opening up space in cargo.
I wasn't saying anything about asking. In the two bombings I mentioned the bags were checked in at the desk but the person doing so never boarded the plane. The lesson learned was that should never occur. Airlines doing this are creating a potentially huge security hole. If it's there, somebody will figure out how to exploit it. So the second big lesson is that to ensure that a bag with a bomb never gets on a plane this way is to never open the same security hole even if you think you've got it controlled. Yet, the airlines are being allowed to ignore these security lessons in the US. Amazing really.

I wasn't saying anything about asking. In the two bombings I mentioned the bags were checked in at the desk but the person doing so never boarded the plane. The lesson learned was that should never occur. Airlines doing this are creating a potentially huge security hole. If it's there, somebody will figure out how to exploit it. So the second big lesson is that to ensure that a bag with a bomb never gets on a plane this way is to never open the same security hole even if you think you've got it controlled. Yet, the airlines are being allowed to ignore these security lessons in the US. Amazing really.
Right and that is why if you check bags and don't show up at the gate and get on the plane, your luggage is removed. If the airline sends your bags ahead and doesn't tell you, that scenario is not happening again.

Well now they have it covered... they have the Thousands Standing Around!

It is true that if you don't get on the plane and they can't find you they will pull your bags. And you would have no way of knowing if your bag went early. I can tell you that I use that Delta APP consistently and since I started using it, no matter HOW early I get to the airport my luggage is on my plane with me. So if I was the terrorist I would know the bomb was on the plane I was on unless I didn't board, whereupon it would be pulled. (I have waited on a lot of luggage to be pulled) SW is behind on luggage tracking but assume it will come and they will pressure their staff to keep the passenger and luggage together.

And the truth is that "control" is pretty weak anyway. As we have repeatedly seen the terrorists now want to die with their bombs/guns etc...

The real lesson should be that we need to quit assuming terrorists would only repeat past operations!

My DD and I had this happen a couple of years ago. We checked in with RAC at about 9:00 a.m. for a 7:00 p.m. flight. When we arrived at STL, there was no luggage. We waiting with approximately 20 people in the SWA lost luggage office. We had all been onsite at WDW, all had used RAC early in the a.m. At least two families had put their car keys in their checked baggage.

We filed our claim forms, drove home (100 miles) and waited to hear. Apparently they arrived on a flight that landed about 30 minutes after we left. SWA paid to FedEx the suitcases to our house. So, ultimately we got them, about 2 days later.

My DD and I had this happen a couple of years ago. We checked in with RAC at about 9:00 a.m. for a 7:00 p.m. flight. When we arrived at STL, there was no luggage. We waiting with approximately 20 people in the SWA lost luggage office. We had all been onsite at WDW, all had used RAC early in the a.m. At least two families had put their car keys in their checked baggage.

We filed our claim forms, drove home (100 miles) and waited to hear. Apparently they arrived on a flight that landed about 30 minutes after we left. SWA paid to FedEx the suitcases to our house. So, ultimately we got them, about 2 days later.

We've had a bag or two arrive on earlier flights when flying SWA. We wait, don't see it on the carousel, ask an Agent, and they bring it out of the office. It's only been when we've flown from MCO using RAC. As far as the people who put car keys in their checked bags, that's just dumb. Every RAC agent asks me if I have everything I need, like ID, car keys, and medicines. Maybe I look dumb, so they ask. :jester:

Update: The Perfect Storm

We've been DVC for 21 years. This was our first time at an All Star and first time using ME. We always stay at Boardwalk or Beach Club. We used Happy Limo on the way in to use the grocery stop, to have our bags right away and to get to the resort directly. I didn't understand exactly how ME worked.

My daughter was sick (she still has strep throat) and I was given a late check out, so RAC was closed when we stored our bags. I went to retrieve our carry-ons before the stated time. I gave the woman at bell services the ME letter and the bag receipt. The woman was distracted by a problem on the phone with another guest. They brought out our bags, we grabbed the carry-ons and I believed the rest of our bags would be checked into SWA. The bellman stood there looking confused, and asked if the rest were going on the bus. The woman said yes. I thought he was waiting for a tip, so I gave him $5. In hindsight, I should have realized that we didn't show ID or get claim tickets, but I was hot, tired and dealing with a sick teen. I gave the woman my ME letter so I don't understand why she didn't explain that we needed to take our own luggage. I'm really disappointed that Disney let me make such a huge mistake.

I called ME and was transferred to ASMovies bell services. My bags were there. The woman yelled at me about the mistake I made and told me they could only send my bags back by ground, 5-10 business days. The bags contain numerous dance costumes and shoes from a performance in 100 degree heat so I really needed them ASAP so they wouldn't be ruined. They already smelled terrible when we packed them. Also, two of them belong to a teen that travelled with us, and I feel awful that she doesn't have any of her bathing suits or clothes now. I called ME back and was told I would receive another call from a different manager at ASMo. This didn't happen. I called back and after a long hold was told a ME manager would call first thing Monday. Also didn't happen.

On Monday I called again and I was assured the bags would be sent Fedex overnight, at our expense. In total, I've spent around 4 hours total on the phone with several different departments.

Tuesday I called shipping again. I was told that there were some bags there in the morning that weren't there now. They couldn't tell me if they were definitely ours or if they'd been shipped. My credit card hasn't been charged, which is not a good sign.

It's Wednesday at 1:30 pm, two days after I was told the bags would be sent overnight. I guess it's time to call someone again. I'm not even sure who to call. Sigh.

Thoughts? (Please be gentile, I feel dumb already.)

We've had a bag or two arrive on earlier flights when flying SWA. We wait, don't see it on the carousel, ask an Agent, and they bring it out of the office. It's only been when we've flown from MCO using RAC. As far as the people who put car keys in their checked bags, that's just dumb. Every RAC agent asks me if I have everything I need, like ID, car keys, and medicines. Maybe I look dumb, so they ask. :jester:

Can you help me learn to look dumb? None of this would have happened!

OP, I read your update and I am still a little confused as to what happened...

-Why were you storing your bags if you had late check-out?
-You acknowledged that RAC was closed...why did you assume that your bags would be checked in if the service was closed?
-You mentioned calling ME...ME doesn't have anything to do with your bags after they arrive in your room when you get to Disney. Upon departure, you can either check them in using RAC (if it's open), or take them on the bus with you. I am not sure what you're looking to accomplish using ME. This is probably also why the woman didn't explain that you needed to take your bags - RAC and DME are separate operations.

Please, please, please don't think I'm trying to sound snotty - I'm not!!! I'm trying to understand better what happened in order to be able to respond to your post.

I haven't taken ME for several years (last time was in 2012), somewhere (I think on the departure voucher), it said that I would need to make sure my luggage got to the airport using RAC or taking it myself (forgive me, I can't remember the exact verbiage from 4 years ago). Is that wording not on the voucher any longer? It might not be, but I feel like they wouldn't have removed this important bit of information.

At any rate, I'm sorry that you had a tough time, and I hope you receive your luggage soon!!!

I hate to say this, but neither Disney or SW lost the bags. I am pretty sure that letter OP kept passing around points out that if you don't give your bags to the RAC before closing it's your job to take them to the airport. I can understand why the bell services people were confused by people handing them random sheets of paper and just wandering off. I am actually shocked the bags were not just left under the bus and lost forever in the bowels of Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter