DLR pool question

arichau

Mouseketeer
My family is staying at the DLH this June. My in-laws are hopefully coming for a few days while we are there but may stay at the PPH (because it's a bit cheaper). I know (or at least I think I read somewhere) that you are only supposed to use the pool in your hotel (unless your pool is closed down). But I'm wondering if I could join my in-laws at the PPH pool and vice versa.

Curious if I could go solo to PPH pool if I am staying at DLH - or if not, if I could go if I was with someone who was staying at the PPH. Basically what gets checked on the way to the pool and how strict are they I guess.

I'm sure there are "rules" and there is "this is what actually or usually happens" - would love to know if anyone has experience with this. I will have 2 kids who I'm sure will want to swim with their grandparents and my niece might be staying with my in-laws and we want to make sure everyone can swim together.

Thanks in advance!!

Pool hopping is not allowed. Please don't even consider it.
The pools at the various hotels get crowed enough with their own guests. It isn't fair to bring in others. Why don't you consider staying at PPH with your in-laws? That way everyone will be together. It will make coordinating your days together much easier. Then, when your in-laws leave, you can stay at the DLH. That way you will get to experience both hotels and their pools.

Morning

Unless the rules have changed (and I am sure someone will post it) non guests are not allowed to use the pools.

If the resort pool that you are staying at is under referb, your key card will be programed to use one other resort pool. For instance when we stayed at PPH in 2005 the pool was down, and we were allowed to use the DLH pool, but not the GCH. The pools are accessed with your key card, they are not open to just walk in.

Now, could you get someone in if you are staying at the DLH and use your key card to allow other's not staying there in? Yes, you could, staff does not walk around the pool checking cards once you go through the gate.

Should you do this? In my opinion, no. Now this is just my opinion, but during busy times, sorry, chairs etc are at a premium and I for one get a little ticked if people not staying there are using the pools, and my family, who is paying to stay there are crowded out.

Again, just my opinion, others of course see nothing wrong with it, but I do, and so does Disney, or you would be able to pool hop without restriction.

At Stormalong Bay in WDW, each guest must show their own hotel key to get a wrist band to get into the pool area. I wish they did that at all of the pools in both resorts.

Call to find out...I have a friend who stays at PPH and they have always been allowed to use the DLH pool.

Thanks for the replies - I actually like that they restrict it - I can see how it would be a huge mess if they didn't - I was just curious. I'm a total rule follower - I just wanted to make sure I knew what the policy was.

Call to find out...I have a friend who stays at PPH and they have always been allowed to use the DLH pool.

Just did a little experiment based upon your post, since things do change and are not always posted.

I called the DLH and asked if I was staying at the PPH if I would be allowed to use the DLH pool, spoke to the front desk, Silvia.

And I quote: "guests staying at the Disney land resorts are generaly not allowed to use the other resort hotel pools unless their pools is unusable. You could speak to the manager however it is generaly not allowed if the pool at the resort you are staying in is open"

Then, just to be sure I called PPH and spoke to Steve at the front desk and I quote. "No you cannot pool hop, unless the PPH pool is down."

Bottom line from both hotel operators, you cannot pool hop unless your pool is not being able to be used.

They are VERY strict on pool hopping. We have stayed at all 3 of the DLR hotels and the only time we were allowed to use another's pool was when PPH's pool was closed.

The question here should be your definition of "use". My MIL has sat with me watching my DDs swim at GCH's pool when she stayed elsewhere. No problem. She doesn't actually get in the pool. Once we had a CM sit with us answering her questions about the hotel. He was aware that she was not a guest there and we were. He had no problem with her being there and actually encouraged her to stay there next time.

Lana :)

Ask each front desk during check-in. Your situation is a little different so they may try to accommodate.

Based on what the other posters said, it sounds like your best bet would be for everyone to be staying at the same hotel.

As long as you are with someone staying at that resort i think you will be ok. We did this last summer. Friends stayed at GC and we stayed at DLH. We used the GC pool twice. We ordered drinks and food. Our friends charged it to their room and we gave them cash. No one asked us to see our room key.

Ask each front desk during check-in. Your situation is a little different so they may try to accommodate.

I agree, I would ask and specifically mention family staying at each resort etc.

It cannot hurt to ask, worst they can say is no. And then you will at least know!

If you ask at the front desk and they are OK with coding your keys to get in, then it's OK for you on that visit, despite their rule that there is NO pool hopping.

If you just go with your family with their key, or vice versa, well that doesn't mean it's allowed, it means that you went in with someone that has a key. I wouldn't be comfy doing that, because I would call it sneaking in if I did it. I personally would just make sure everyone was staying at the same resort if I had such a situation.

Now, could you get someone in if you are staying at the DLH and use your key card to allow other's not staying there in? Yes, you could, staff does not walk around the pool checking cards once you go through the gate.
Earlier this month, we were at the DLH, and they were checking room keys at the DLH, and I have seen them check at the GCH last summer.

Earlier this month, we were at the DLH, and they were checking room keys at the DLH, and I have seen them check at the GCH last summer.

This is why the DIS is great, we have never been checked for our keys, but that does not mean it has or is not being done, good information to know.

Granted we would not pool hop, so it's not something that we would ever think about. And since you need your key to the pool to be there, not a concern if they do ask for our keys, since we would have them on us.

Thanks Malcon

Back to the issue of getting into another resort pool because someone is staying there, just because you can, does not mean that pool hopping is okay. As I stated eariler I called both the front desk at DLH and PPH, both where every direct in the response, there is no pool hopping allowed unless your pool is not usable. Can you ask? sure you can, who knows if they would do it, but generaly I would be surprised if they do, since they state you cannot.

This is why the DIS is great, we have never been checked for our keys, but that does not mean it has or is not being done, good information to know.

Granted we would not pool hop, so it's not something that we would ever think about. And since you need your key to the pool to be there, not a concern if they do ask for our keys, since we would have them on us.

Thanks Malcon

Back to the issue of getting into another resort pool because someone is staying there, just because you can, does not mean that pool hopping is okay. As I stated eariler I called both the front desk at DLH and PPH, both where every direct in the response, there is no pool hopping allowed unless your pool is not usable. Can you ask? sure you can, who knows if they would do it, but generaly I would be surprised if they do, since they state you cannot.

I don't think that it is okay for non-paying people to use the pools at the DL hotels at the expense of paying guests. I know that this can be a problem at the monorail resorts at WDW which the CMs are pretty good about checking for hotel keys and requiring non-paying guests to leave. I hope they do the same at the DL resort hotels as these hotels are quite expensive and facilities such as the pools should be solely for paying guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter