DLR in a Day - mistakes

Lady Hiss

Mouseketeer
After many years of using the wonderful DIS for planning and questions, I feel I finally may have something to offer others. I'm posting this as a cautionary tale for anyone who's thinking of trying DLR for the first time, in the hopes that this will help him/her avoid our mistakes.

On a recent trip to the San Diego area, we (4 adults, 2 of whom are WDW DVC owners and somewhat knowledgeable about all things Disney) decided to visit DLR for a day. The day didn't have much magic and the fault lies mostly with us, not Disney. Here are just a few of our poor decisions:

#1. We arrived at CA at about 11 AM (on an extra magic hour morning, no less). Huge mistake - we should've gotten an early start from San Diego and allowed for the time it would take for parking/bus/buying tickets. Buying tickets ahead of time would have been smart, too.

#2. We wandered aimlessly for awhile, until we got the lay of the land and finally figured out where we wanted to go. I'd tried to engage everyone with "What will you want to do?" ahead of time, but no one seemed to want to decide (except me - RSR). Next time: make a few choices in advance, look at a DLR map online.

#3. We finally found the posted RSR fast pass return times (6:30-6:50 PM). Two of our group were meeting friends for dinner at 6 PM so...no go on RSR fast pass. Instead we opted to get FP for California Screamin' and go on ToT. Before doing ToT, we should've gotten in the stand-by line for RSR (hindsight = 20/20)

#4. After grabbing a bit of breakfast, we decided RSR was a must-do so we got in the stand-by line (posted wait 75 mins). Those 75 minutes were a supreme test of my patience and brutally boring (though the theming was very well done). Several people in line were smart enough to have games loaded on their electronic devices (Heads-up was popular) to pass the time. Never, never again will I wait in such a long line. The ride was great, but no ride is worth that kind of wait, IMHO. I could see the day melting away as we stood in that darn line.

#5. A positive note: I had done a little restaurant research ahead of time so knew that Flo's V-8 Cafe was close by. Lunch was a welcome treat on such a day. The food was decent, and the view of Radiator Springs was fun.

#6. We moved on to DL after lunch. Again, much wandering and wondering (are you detecting a theme here?) we decided on PoC - wait times weren't horrible (30 min) so that worked out okay. We did PoC, HM, and Buzz as well with 20-25 min wait times. Most FP were gone at this point, of course. BTW, the castle tarp is really substandard, IMHO - they really can't do better than that?

#7. Hm, maybe this one is Disney's fault: The line for Dole Whips was the longest I'd ever seen so...passed on the one treat I'd hoped for.:worried:

#8. We split up (guys to Space Mtn, us gals to IASW). The guys waited 30+ mins for Space Mtn; we gals got caught up in a parade and were never able to find the entrance to IASW. Pathetic and our own fault, I know.

#9. And, maybe one more small dig at Disney: the CMs were meh - no magic; no pixie dust; no big smiles; no "Can I help you find something?" as we puzzled over our wrinkled, much-used map; just doing a job and talking amongst themselves A LOT. :sad2: Even the 'greeter' at HM was mediocre - at that point 2 of our party did a better job with the haunted look and dead tone.

#10. Final dumb mistake: The DL restaurant (Carnation Cafe?) where I'd hoped to eat dinner had a 60 min. wait. Why did I think we'd be able to walk up and get a table without ADR? The California sunshine must've made me delusional - such a rookie mistake. Two of us ate a very blah meal at LaBrea in Downtown Disney while the other couple ate a great Italian meal at one of the DTD restaurants (where they were lucky enough to meet their friends and snag a table).

All in all, it was an okay day, but not a magical one (and, did I mention it was my birthday?:cake:). Next time, I'd make a tentative plan, stay onsite for one night, and maybe lower my expectations. I'd also get in the Dole Whip line EARLY!

Thinking positive: It was sunny and felt much better than the 15 degrees back in Wisconsin.:sunny:

I hope this helps any DLR rookies who are planning to go for just one day.

princess: Lady Hiss

I would like to encourage the use of lodging near Disneyland, preferably a walking lodging, the night before a visit. It can be a good neighbor or blocks away. It creates a restful approach to the morning, no rushing in traffic, no struggling with parking, waiting, walking, waiting and the time that it requires. There is a generational gap on the "necessity' of overnight lodging. My folks never lodge the night before. It was 4 am in the morning and no wait for fireworks because of the exhaustion of the young family. On my christmas visits as an adult now, we always leave Palm springs and stay the night before the Disneyland visit.

Thanks for this post! We are going to San Diego in June to visit my daughter, and then driving to spend two nights at DL. We will go up during the day and then have two full days at DL/DCA. I already have a list of "what's better at DL than WDW" lol. On the downside I wish I could have snagged a DVC room at GC but nothing is open.
Daisyx3

So much of this sounds like our first trip there (as adults). Also a one-dayer, also from San Diego.

#1. We arrived at CA at about 11 AM (on an extra magic hour morning, no less). Huge mistake - we should've gotten an early start from San Diego and allowed for the time it would take for parking/bus/buying tickets. Buying tickets ahead of time would have been smart, too.

Yep. On our first time there as adults the ONLY way we had a great day is because it started pouring buckets the moment we entered the gates of Disneyland. Everyone fled but we didn't, and had a great few hours of empty park. And yes, the lines for tickets are horrendous. The joke I have since that first time is that everyone is trying to broker world peace for the UN. That's why each transaction takes so darned long. And yet it never takes a long time for you, right? It's odd.

I'd tried to engage everyone with "What will you want to do?" ahead of time, but no one seemed to want to decide (except me - RSR). Next time: make a few choices in advance, look at a DLR map online.

YES. First trip I had a plan but I was teased for it. So I left the plan in my backpack. Second time I had a plan *in my mind*. Every time someone slowed down to look at a map and ask "what should we do next" I magically had an answer. They would go along with me. It was most excellent, and no one teased me.

If you brought home any maps from in the parks, keep them. It'll help for the next trip's planning process. :)

Never, never again will I wait in such a long line.

Especially RSR, especially when it's all adults. Single Rider line all the way for RSR. No you won't sit next to each other, but I don't care. I still haven't ridden that standby or FP, and it's a great ride even when split from your group.

The line for Dole Whips was the longest I'd ever seen so...passed on the one treat I'd hoped for.

Go into the Tiki Room waiting area. There's a line on that side, too, and it is always shorter.

we gals got caught up in a parade and were never able to find the entrance to IASW

OK I got nothin' for you here. I don't know how you missed that, LOL. :) But after such a day it's no wonder you couldn't.

But I've read stories of new WDW people going and barely riding anything, because so many rides are inside of buildings, including the entrances. At DL all the lines start outside, so it's very different at WDW. But IASW's entire line is outside, so let's just blame an exhausting day. :)

I agree about single rider for RSR. I've actually NEVER waited in the standby line, only FP or single rider. Last trip was my DS7 bday and we even rode as single rider. (ended up in the same car)

I'm sorry your trip wasn't as fun as you had hoped.........but it's a great excuse to come back! And happy belated birthday!!

Our first trip back after a many many year break had a lousy first day too.
I was so excited to be going to Disney for my DGD's 6th birthday. When I looked on the calendar all I saw was her birthday.... I didn't notice it was also MLK weekend! We arrived after lunch on Saturday. The crowd in the park was terrible. The saving grace was we were there for a full week.

Live and Learn.....

Geemo

Sorry your day wasn't magical! Our number one rule, no matter what, is arrive early. I think that really sets you up for a magical day. You have a chance to see the park before it gets too crowded and get to experience a few of the more popular attractions before the wait gets too long. It also roots you in the park so when it does get busy, about the time you arrived ;), you've already wandered a bit and have more a plan or an idea of what you want to do.

Bright side, your next trip should be that much more magical!

Sorry your day wasn't magical! Our number one rule, no matter what, is arrive early. I think that really sets you up for a magical day. You have a chance to see the park before it gets too crowded and get to experience a few of the more popular attractions before the wait gets too long. It also roots you in the park so when it does get busy, about the time you arrived ;), you've already wandered a bit and have more a plan or an idea of what you want to do.

Bright side, your next trip should be that much more magical!

This is really the best advice to give anyone visiting DLR. I seem to get more done/seen in the first 2-3 hours of park opening than the entire rest of the day.

I also second bumbershoot's advice about the Dole Whip line. If you go into the waiting area for the Tiki room they will serve you on that side as well. Last time I was at DLR, the line on the outside for Dole Whips was about 20 people deep, yet there was no one waiting on the inside and I was served right away!

Thank you for this post, I found it very interesting! I will be visiting DL for the first time in October and I'll also be getting to the park around 10 or 11am as I'm flying in from Australia that morning. Luckily I have a second day but it too is a short day as I have an 8pm flight out of SNA that night. Even though my trip is 8 months away, I have been researching restaurants, wait times, park maps etc to help me maximise my park time. I did wonder if I was a little crazy for doing this so far in advance but it seems from your post that I should keep at it!

Many, many thanks for the helpful replies. Believe me, I'm taking notes in the event we ever go to DLR again...especially the tip about the Dole Whip line! Next trip will involve more planning, ADRs, single rider line for RSR, and an overnight stay.

As far as comparing DLR with WDW, it seems a bit like apples and oranges to me. Each has it's good points and bad. I did enjoy the easy travel between the parks at DLR - no long wait for a crowded bus at the end of the day; the shuttle to the parking lot was half full and a quick ride.

:thanks:

Lady Hiss princess:

And you can take your Dole Whip into the Tiki Room and enjoy it there! It makes for a nice break on a hot day.

Oh this was nice to read! We're spending just 1 day there in August and some other people on here got me worried it'd be a crap day. I shall remember to arrive early, and try to grab fastpasses for RSR!

At least the tarp is down now. The castle really does look gorgeous, even if it's just a paint job so far.

I agree on much of what you said. As regulars, I learned as a child how to manage my trips, but the average first timer, even a WDW vet, just doesn't know because it's very different. Memorizing the map is really the best advice I can give any first timer about a trip to DLR. If you know where you're going and what the schedules are, it cuts down on a lot of time. The only thing I would say is that I disagree about the CMs. Whenever we've gone, my children are presented with buttons and stickers by random CMs, we get called princes and princesses, and they're generally very friendly. But then, I've only been to WDW once, so maybe they're moreso there? I don't know, but I find them to be fairly awesome.

Thank you for this post, I found it very interesting! I will be visiting DL for the first time in October and I'll also be getting to the park around 10 or 11am as I'm flying in from Australia that morning. Luckily I have a second day but it too is a short day as I have an 8pm flight out of SNA that night. Even though my trip is 8 months away, I have been researching restaurants, wait times, park maps etc to help me maximise my park time. I did wonder if I was a little crazy for doing this so far in advance but it seems from your post that I should keep at it!

Traveling from such a far distance, is it plausible at all for you to be able to visit Anaheim for a longer period of time? Just make up an excuse to your family and HR department. Like a delayed flight due to weather conditions. Those Santa Ana winds can be horrendous! I am more than happy to provide additional excuses to you. :)

Has anyone here ever used Ridemax? I used the software back in March of 2006, and it worked great for creating a game plan for a one day visit to Disneyland. I plan on trying it again, but since I used it initially, nine years have passed. Wondering if it still works as well as it used to.

Has anyone here ever used Ridemax? I used the software back in March of 2006, and it worked great for creating a game plan for a one day visit to Disneyland. I plan on trying it again, but since I used it initially, nine years have passed. Wondering if it still works as well as it used to.

I'd like to know this too, I signed up for Touring Plans (I'm an easywdw girl, I wish he had disneyland info!) because it was cheaper, but the website seems like kind of a mess. That and it seems kind of hard to make a 1 day plan for both parks. If Ridemax is better, I'm still in the window to get a refund for Touring Plans and I'll switch. Since I'll only be there a day I see no need to have both.

I'd like to know this too, I signed up for Touring Plans (I'm an easywdw girl, I wish he had disneyland info!) because it was cheaper, but the website seems like kind of a mess. That and it seems kind of hard to make a 1 day plan for both parks. If Ridemax is better, I'm still in the window to get a refund for Touring Plans and I'll switch. Since I'll only be there a day I see no need to have both.

I would really hesitate to subscribe to one of those services that prescribes a set plan complete with times to arrive at each ride.

Instead, I would educate yourself here on which rides have FP, which rides have the longest lines, which rides have single rider.

I would just hate for you to get so caught up in getting everything done on your list that you missed looking up and absorbing the magic.

Just know going into it that you can't do it all. Hopefully you can get more done than the OP, but their post is a great way to start your education.

I LOVE RideMax! I've subscribed to both TP and RM, and RM is hands down the better service. It's a lot more user friendly, and I feel like it produces much better plans. Like you, I found TP messy and sometimes confusing, and I'm a computer guy. We use RM every time we go to the parks, absolutely would not leave home without it, and quite honestly, it adds the fun of planning.

I do understanding not wanting to hold yourself to a time schedule, down the minute, which is exactly what RM does, but I've had plenty of magic with the family while using RM. We have young kids, so we try to minimize line time, and RM does that for us. It also groups attractions together, so we don't spend time crossing back and forth across the park, and the FP management in RM is unbeatable. Geez, sounds like I work for them... I don't, I just love it! I promise you'll be converted if you try it out and stick to your schedule! I'd be happy to send you over some of our past itineraries if you'd like to see what it look like.

I LOVE RideMax! I've subscribed to both TP and RM, and RM is hands down the better service. It's a lot more user friendly, and I feel like it produces much better plans. Like you, I found TP messy and sometimes confusing, and I'm a computer guy. We use RM every time we go to the parks, absolutely would not leave home without it, and quite honestly, it adds the fun of planning.

I do understanding not wanting to hold yourself to a time schedule, down the minute, which is exactly what RM does, but I've had plenty of magic with the family while using RM. We have young kids, so we try to minimize line time, and RM does that for us. It also groups attractions together, so we don't spend time crossing back and forth across the park, and the FP management in RM is unbeatable. Geez, sounds like I work for them... I don't, I just love it! I promise you'll be converted if you try it out and stick to your schedule! I'd be happy to send you over some of our past itineraries if you'd like to see what it look like.

I agree with this assessment of RM and TP. I also preferred Ridemax. And even though you are using premade plans, you can still have plenty of spontaneous moments and change things on the fly in the afternoons and evenings. It also helps you to know what attractions have what wait times when they are put in certain parts of the day which kind of helps you make substitutions if you need to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter