• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DLR Hotels.. WHICH one? *UPDATED*

MaxnElliesMama

Mouseketeer
Okay; opinion me up here! popcorn::

We up to this point haven't considered a DLR hotel based on cost; however, we may be able to swing it; maaaaaybe.

Last week of Feb- First week of March.

What hotel? (We DEF cannot afford GCH) so DLH or PPH...

What do you choose and why?

Are the pools even usable in feb/march?

Do you think the cost is worth it? We would be staying at HOJO if not most likely.

**ETA- trip is Dad, Mom, 3 kids- 9,4 and 4 month old.

***ETA #2-- We would stay at DLH! These would be our stay options:

A) 6 nights at HOJO in a 2 bedroom kids suite.
2/27-3/5, 5 days in the park- 2/28-3/4
arrive in afternoon of 2/27, settle in walk around DTD get dinner, 5 days in park, check out of hotel AM of 3/5 and head to airport for flight.

B) 5 nights at DLH in a deluxe view room.
2/26-3/2, 4 days in the park. 2/26-3/1
arrive in morning of 2/26, either early check in or just drop off bags and head to park, then 3 more days, and check out on Thursday 3/2 leave and head to airport, after checkout!

What do we choooooooose?!?!?

:thanks:

Last edited:
We've stayed at all three and our favourite is PPH. The rooms are bigger, the hotel seems more relaxed, the fireworks viewing area is perfect for our ASD son and we never had any issues with the elevators. Now, having said that, we are staying at the DLH in April because we got a really great rate.

As for worth, that is so subjective that I would hesitate to offer an opinion but as you can see from my signature, out of our DL trips we have picked an onsite hotel 4 times see we find value in it.

I wouldn't recommend the Paradise Pier Hotel. My relatives stayed here while we stayed on Harbor. They have 2 adults and 3 kids (9, 6, 4) and the room felt really small, especially when the kids have a lot of energy. It was a fairly plain hotel for the $$ and they weren't too impressed with it.

If you stayed at any of them, I think the Disneyland hotel is the best of the 3. But honestly, I don't really think any of the hotels are worth the $$. Some people find the value, but we just don't - especially when we're only in the room to sleep.

If you're looking for a nice newer hotel that has pretty big rooms, check out the Courtyard by Marriott Theme Park Entrance. We really enjoyed this hotel and it is right next to HoJo. They also have a really nice water park that the kids might enjoy (it might be too cold, though). Oh also, they have bunkbeds in almost every room, which is a huge plus.

I loved the DLH. The Grand was really nice, too, but rooms were smaller than over at DLH. I've never stayed at PPH, but from what I've read, it doesn't feel quite as "magical". Now that you can't enter through the GCH entrance, there's a small detour, so to speak, so the walk is a little further. The DLH was still a bit of walk, but I never felt like I left the bubble. The light up headboards were so awesome! I think I loved them more than the kids did. If you're going to stay on site, spend a tad more for DLH, IMO. Plus, I've heard the elevators are a total PITA at PPH - and at DLH, that was never even a remote issue!

DLH, definitely. Large rooms and beautiful layout. Lots of onsite things to explore and great restaurants etc. Very convenient to the new security gates.

My least favorite? PPH. It just doesn't feel like a Disney hotel to me, there are no grounds, it is farther away--in short, it is a mediocre hotel that doesn't offer any of the extra perks you get from DLH or GCH. Since GCH will be undergoing renos and has smaller rooms, I'd go with DLH.

I vote for the Grand, every time. But if you're looking seriously at PP, remember that with the new security measures you will not be able to take the 'short cut' through the lobby of the Grand to DTD or DCA, although you can walk back to PP that way. You will have to walk all the way up to the DLH and enter via the check point near ESPN Zone. For me with mobility issues, that's a deal breaker. So if the Grand is really out of the question, go for the DLH.

We just had a really amazing stay at the PPH. Having said that, it was theme park view concierge which we had not experienced before. We stayed while we were still able to cut through the Grand so I am unsure how much not having the short cut will impact your group. The PPH, concierge theme park view was still less $$ than the DLH. We do love the DLH too though. You can't go wrong with either. I am sure I did not help. LOL!

DLH hands down. It's just so full of Magic and the pools are amazing! There is a good chance you can swim during your visit since it's not unusual for it to be in the mid-70s that time of year. If money is a concern you could do a split stay, a few days at Hojo and end with a few days at DLH.

We loved the DLH. Great rooms, we could see the fireworks from our room in the Adventure tower, pools, ambience, and we enjoyed the morning walk through DTD

Last edited:
We have stayed at all three and the DLH is our favourite by far. I think your children would enjoy the pool as well.

We love the fact that we never have to leave the Disney "Bubble". If cost is an issue, then I would do the PPH. IMO it is not as magical but for our family the early morning entries make it worth it. But with that said, I would pick the lowest cost at DLH over any type of view room at PPH.

DLH for sure. I would pass on PPH, and instead for a better value stay at Marriott Courtyard (close, new, and waterpark) or HOJO (close, waterpark).

The weather should be in the low 70's during the day - so fine for water and pools. Enjoy your trip!

i vote either one. I would pick DLH over PP, but if that wasn't an option I'd still really love my stay at PP. I think PP gets the short end of the stick...it really is not a bad hotel. It's cute and has a beach theme..could disney do a little more to spice it up..absolutely, but it is not a bad hotel. In terms of the rooms and the inside, to me feels just as magic as the others...they just all take on different themes. What I feel PP lacks is the grounds...there really is nothing to explore and walk around to look at.

We've stayed at both DLH and PPH and I will never again stay at PPH. Loved DLH. PPH didn't seem worth the money at all, though the view of DCA was awesome.

We have stayed at all three and prefer the PPH. We get the premium view room with concierge and love it. Obviously, there are a lot of opinions on this but that is what we prefer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter