• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DLR Half-Marathon 2013. Who else is going?!?!

Popping in to join the thread :)

We are on week two of half marathon training. We are following the Galloway method but not the plan... since it's an 18-week plan and we procrastinated starting until there were just 12 weeks left. LOL!!!

My roommate/bestie and I are flying out from Ohio to do the DLR half. We did the WDW half in January and finished with an embarassingly dismal time so the plan is to do Coast-2-Coast and PR in at DLR. The PR should not be hard to get! :rotfl2: We would actually like to do it in sub-3hr, which should also be do-able. We are running much faster now at the start of training than we were towards the end last time, so that's a great sign.

I am getting super excited, we upgraded our WDW APs to the Premiere Passport and I get slightly nauseous every time I think of how darn much that cost! We are staying at Del Sol, I made it as a temporary reservation and there's nothing else available so guess it's our permanent one! My brother lives in Burbank and he is coming out to watch me finish and spend the day at DLR on Sunday - we're not very close so I am SO excited that he's shown an interest. He and I went to DL with our Mom in 1992 (I am dating myself!) when my Dad had a work conference in California and took the family along. I went back in 2010 with friends and he hasn't been since we were kids.

Added you to the half list!! Welcome back to DLR!!

Don't guess I said earlier, but my fiancee and I will be there for the half! Plan is to be Winnie the Pooh (me) and Piglet.

Less than two months til our flight out!!!

How's everyone's training going?

We did our 9.5 mile training run this morning - finished stronger than I was feeling at mile 3, lol! I'm a little stressed out that just walking a little the day before won't have us ready for the dumbo. 6 miles is nothing to sneeze at..! >_<

I'm still finding it hard to find the time to run when sometimes I barely have 4 hour turnarounds between my 2 jobs. And I decided to go Paleo recently so I'm spending a lot of what used to be my running time cooking. Eek. Farthest run I've done so far is still 7.5 miles but at least it felt strong. Going for 9.5 next week.

I'm still finding it hard to find the time to run when sometimes I barely have 4 hour turnarounds between my 2 jobs. And I decided to go Paleo recently so I'm spending a lot of what used to be my running time cooking. Eek. Farthest run I've done so far is still 7.5 miles but at least it felt strong. Going for 9.5 next week.

How are you liking Paleo so far..? (aside from the time sink of course!). I know a lot of people who swear by it - less asthma, allergies, headaches etc and losing a ton of weight. I don't have much weight to lose, but I definitely suffer from the rest. :worried:

Just found this thread.
I am running the DDD.
I am so excited to be doing this race. My longest race has been a 10 k with a time of 1:17. Very good time for me.
I have been following the training plan for the DDD. So far so good. I have made all the training runs . The longer runs are getting challenging but I just keep going.
I am also doing the Wine and dine at WDW. going for the coast to coast medal.

Training is going well for us. I'm doing Galloway's time program with my fiancee alongside a separate marathon program for my October race, so no shortage of mileage for me right now. Her Galloway program just had us hit 11 miles on Saturday, so I think she'll be ready come September 1st to collect our medals (Coast-to-Coast) and enjoy the parks after!

Hope everyone else's training continues to go well! Looking forward to running alongside you all soon in the happiest place on Earth!

How are you liking Paleo so far..? (aside from the time sink of course!). I know a lot of people who swear by it - less asthma, allergies, headaches etc and losing a ton of weight. I don't have much weight to lose, but I definitely suffer from the rest. :worried:

I don't have much to lose either. I did put on 20 since I moved to SoCal, but that's not a big issue for me, although I do want to tone up. I just want to be good to my body so it will be good to me when I run. I had that 'aha' moment about what I want and need in my life. I'm on day 8 and outside of the extra $$ I have to spend to stock my kitchen (I literally had nothing). Thankfully I gave up soda a few months ago so kicking the sugar part of paleo has been easier than it could have been. There's so much more I can eat than I thought going into this, before I started doing my research.

I'm already feeling better after my running, although trying to find an alternative to fuel myself on long runs that isn't going so well. Someone suggested I try Honey Stingers and I'm waiting on an order of the gels since nobody near me carries them, but the blocks made me a little nauseous on my last run. My GU may be the one thing I just fudge.

Just found this thread.
I am running the DDD.
I am so excited to be doing this race. My longest race has been a 10 k with a time of 1:17. Very good time for me.
I have been following the training plan for the DDD. So far so good. I have made all the training runs . The longer runs are getting challenging but I just keep going.
I am also doing the Wine and dine at WDW. going for the coast to coast medal.

Added you!!

How's everyone's training going?

Not too bad, even though the summer temps are here. I've been running 10 mile training runs every weekend with shorter maintenance runs during the week. I plan to bump up the distance on the weekend runs as the summer progresses. Ran a 10k on over the Memorial Day weekend in 57:57, and the San Diego HM back in March in 2:18. I'll be turning 60 later this year, and was thinking about a PR in the DL HM since the course is very flat, but DD and her husband keep telling me to forget the PR and enjoy the race, stopping for photos etc. We'll see....

I am signed up for the DDD too! I have run a few 5ks an 8k and 10K (1:03) time but Disneyland will be my first 1/2 and I am so excited! I have been using the Jeff Galloway training schedule with only running. Training is going pretty good so far. :)

Couple questions for anyone: Do people usually make dining reservations for this weekend or just eat wherever? Also, I was hoping to purchase the New Balance Minnie shoes at the Expo, do you think they will have them during this race Expo? Thanks!

I'll br running the DDD Challenge! I will be there August 27th-Sept 2nd. Can't wait!

I was hoping to purchase the New Balance Minnie shoes at the Expo, do you think they will have them during this race Expo?

DD ran the WDW marathon in January, and she said those NB balance shoes were *extremely* popular and sold out very quickly. My guess is that since they are proven sellers/money-makers, they'll have the same ones or something very similar at the DLR HM weekend. She's planning to buy a pair too.

DD ran the WDW marathon in January, and she said those NB balance shoes were *extremely* popular and sold out very quickly. My guess is that since they are proven sellers/money-makers, they'll have the same ones or something very similar at the DLR HM weekend. She's planning to buy a pair too.

I 'heard" that they will have 3 new styles at the Disneyland Half and that they will be neutral, as opposed to stabilty like the Minnie and Mickey ones.

I sure hope they have enough for everyone who wants to buy a pair :) Don't want to use them to run in just walk around the parks and stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter