DLH vs PP

DharmaLou

Once a Princess, Always a Princess
We will stay onsite for most, if not all, of our trip in a year and a half.

Based on the fact we are going the week of Thanksgiving where the weather can be unpredictable and there's no guarantee of using the pool, would you save the $100/night (based on this year's rates) and stay at PP, or even pay the same amount as DLH and stay in a park view room at PP, or would you stay at DLH for the ambiance? I know a huge draw for DLH and kids is the pool, but there is no guarantee that time of year that the weather would cooperate for the pool. The headboards are awesome as well, but I'm not sure they're worth $100 more a night.

So I probably shouldn't be giving input because I haven't stayed at both but I absolutely love the PPH theme park view rooms. DLH has never appealed to me because view is a big contributor to me. And yeah - I wouldn't count on using the pool. I've been twice for Halloween Time at the end of October and the weather was no where close to pool weather.

I have never stayed at PPH, but to me yes the DLH is worth the extra money. We stayed at the GCH last Thanksgiving and had nice enough weather to swim the entire week. I know the weather isn't guaranteed but I'm sure some of your days will be nice enough to swim.

I've stayed at all 3 DLR hotels. The DLH is totally worth it in my opinion. The DLH is so cool, so Disney. My kids swim year round in So Cal but we live in Utah so any So Cal day is warmer than here.

The ambiance is so much better than the PPH. Having said that, the GCH is even more amazing than the DLH during the holidays.

The light up headboards are really cool and the rooms are big.

I would, and did, upgraded to PPH concierge instead of doing the DLH. We aren't vacation swimmers so that factored into decision.

First I will say these best hotel threads tend to create arguments. I really hope you get honest opinions and future posters are as respectful of each other's opinions as the posters that you have gotten thus far.

Ok... my opinion...
We have stayed at all 3 DLR hotels. Hands down favorite is the GCH. That is where we stay most of the time. When it is not in the budget we stay at PPH. Our reasoning is we just don't feel like the DLH is worth the price difference. Yes it is a great hotel, but we feel like the pool and headboards just don't warrant the price. We do enjoy the restaurants, but you can eat there no matter where you stay. Personally I would rather have the PPH's concierge or the cash in my pocket.

Lana :)

DLH all the way.

PPH is a nice hotel, but, it's not the DLH period.

The atmosphere is far different in my opinion, the little touches, the music in the lobbys, the decor in the lobbys, and the rooms, well just cannot compare nor compete with the DLH.

This is a very subjective topic, and you will get varied answers, but here is my opinion, having stayed at all three Disney properties:

If you are leaning toward saving money, and have no guarantee of good pool weather, I would stay at the Paradise Pier--that way you won't feel regretful.
It is a nice, refurbished (within the last year) hotel, with good sized, bright rooms, a clean beachy, non-fussy vibe. We like it alot!

If you want the Hotel to scream Disney, and that is your first priority--stay at the Disneyland Hotel.

Thank you everyone! If we'd be staying even a month earlier I would book DLH without a 2nd thought because the weather would be warmer, but having been there over Thanksgiving this past year I know it's not guaranteed. Yes, we are used to cooler weather, but I don't want to bet on being able to swim. Of course with our luck, I may book PPH and end up with 80's all week!

Thank you everyone! If we'd be staying even a month earlier I would book DLH without a 2nd thought because the weather would be warmer, but having been there over Thanksgiving this past year I know it's not guaranteed. Yes, we are used to cooler weather, but I don't want to bet on being able to swim. Of course with our luck, I may book PPH and end up with 80's all week!

Well the PPH pool isn't HORRIBLE.

I would book the PPH and then as it gets closer if you can get a decent rate at DLH and it turns out to be pool'ish weather then you could consider changing the reservation.

Added perk - lower first night deposit up front when booking at PPH haha

DharmaLou said:

You didn't think it was warm enough to swim this past Thanksgiving? I thought we had beautiful weather that week.

It wasn't cold, but it wasn't what I'd consider swimming weather either. We spent a late afternoon (4pm or so) at Trader Sam's and there were exactly 4 people at the DLH pool, and there were never any swimmers at the HoJo water park when we'd return mid-afternoon for rest.

This is a very subjective topic, and you will get varied answers, but here is my opinion, having stayed at all three Disney properties:

If you are leaning toward saving money, and have no guarantee of good pool weather, I would stay at the Paradise Pier--that way you won't feel regretful.
It is a nice, refurbished (within the last year) hotel, with good sized, bright rooms, a clean beachy, non-fussy vibe. We like it alot!

If you want the Hotel to scream Disney, and that is your first priority--stay at the Disneyland Hotel.

I agree with this. Everyone is different and based on their family/needs each hotel has different qualities that make it attractive. We too have stayed in all 3 hotels. As pp says if saving the money would be a factor (taking that to maybe do something you haven't done before i.e. a tour or dinner package) then go with the PP. We very much liked our theme park view from there.

If you want the Disney vibe then DLR is probably your best bet. We have only had the upper DTD view which was great.

Good luck with your decision and have a great trip!:goodvibes

Having stayed at all three of the DLR hotels I would choose PPH over the DLH any day, especially if you're going to save money. for my family, DLH is the least favorite of the three resort hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter