DLH Bell Services destroyed my bag

VandVsmama

DIS Veteran
The moral to this story: When you notice a problem with your bag as the DLH Bell Services person is handing you your luggage to load into your car, address it right then and there. Don't report it later that day.

We checked out of the DLH last Thursday. Checked out at 11:00 am, stored our luggage with Bell Services at 11:10, then went back to the parks. Retrieved our luggage at 7:15 that evening.

When the guy handed me one of our bags, I momentarily thought, "That is weird. Where did those two big holes come from? Why are there black smudges on it, too?"

But I did not say anything because we were rushed to get down to San Diego and to get our kids to bed. Mistake!

I called the DLH that night upon examing the bag further. The night bell services manager submitted a damage report. He was very nice and very helpful. Next step was to speak with the Claims department.

It took then two days to return my phone call, which was irritating. Based on the phone conversation, I highly doubt that they are going to do anything.

If this wasn't such an awesome piece of luggage, I would have just chocked it up to wear and tear. But this bag is built like a tank and it just weighs 3 lb! I love the thing.

DL Claims said that I should call the bag manufacturer to report it to them. Well, there might be some hope there because the company that makes this bag (Red Oxx, based in Montana) apparently has a lifetime warranty on their bags. Per their website instructions, I have to ship it to them and they will repair it free of charge. And if they cannot fix it, they will replace the whole bag for free!!!

As my DH said last Thursday evening, , "Well who knowa what they were doing to our stuff wherever they were holding it? Did you see the way the giy was throwing those bags around?"

Honestly, it is enough to make me VERY reluctant to use Bell Services at that hotel ever again. I would rather take multiple trips to the car instead. :-(

Sorry to hear about your problems.

How many bags did you store and how much did you tip the bellman in the morning?

How does something like that even happen? I can understand when bags get damaged by airlines, but at a hotel? What the heck do they do with them?

I tipped them a dollar per bag when they picked the bags up and same thing when they brought the bags to the car. In the morning, the bag was just fine. From the large black smudges on it, too, it almost looks like something ran it over.

I am very sorry that happened to you and hope that the company that makes your bag stands bby their lifetime warranty --- giving you a happy ending, but I have to ask: If the bag is that nice and you cherish it as much as it sounds like you do, why wouldn't you say something upon picking it up from Bell Services?

I understand that you were wanting to get down to SD, but it is always easier to present your case when standing there in person and hours (days?) have not passed since you were handed back your bags.

Again, I hope you get your bag repaired. It stinks when stuff gets damaged when you think it's safe.

- Dreams

I''m sorry to hear that your bag was damaged and it appears that DLH hotel is not helping much, surprised acutally.

Here is our story about bellservice at the DLH.

My mother, myself, my neice, my sister, and my nieces friend went at the end of April, and as always stayed at the DLH. We all have Disney luggage, when we checked in our suite was not ready so we stored our bags with the bellservice and went on our merry Disney way. Upon getting to our room and having our bags delivered. Well we unpacked etc, put the suitcases away and did not notice anything wrong with my mother's case at the time. It was two days later when my mother moved her case and noticed that the extened handle would no longer fully go back into the case. As a matter of fact one side would not go down at all. The only way you could get it to retract was to almost force it, which we did not try to do because we did not want to wreck it further. The case had to go on a plane so we knew that unless we got it fixed, they would not allow it on the plane.

The bag was fine and working on our arrival day, was fine and working when I handed it to bell services and I myself gave it to the bellman. So I suggested that we speak to the front desk. We approached the front desk not with ""hey your bellman broke our bag" but more of a ""we don't know what happend, but the bag was fine when we left Canada otherwise it would not have been allowed on the plane, it was fine when we loaded onto the bus, but now it's not fine"".

Bottom line they where great, had the hotel engineer look at it, determined that it was in fact broken and the DLH replaced the identical bag to my mother with no charge. Very kind of them.

I asked that had it not been a Disney luggage what would they done? Was told that my mother would have been given a cash voucher to buy another bag of resonable cost. But because it was Disney Luggage, she was given the exact one that was broken.

So for me, it seems odd that they would not have offered you the same deal so to speak.

I''m sorry to hear that your bag was damaged and it appears that DLH hotel is not helping much, surprised acutally.

My mother, myself, my neice, my sister, and my nieces friend went at the end of April, and as always stayed at the DLH. We all have Disney luggage, when we checked in our suite was not ready so we stored our bags with the bellservice and went on our merry Disney way. Upon getting to our room and having our bags delivered. Well we unpacked etc, put the suitcases away and did not notice anything wrong with my mother's case at the time. It was two days later when my mother moved her case and noticed that the extened handle would no longer fully go back into the case. As a matter of fact one side would not go down at all. The only way you could get it to retract was to almost force it, which we did not try to do because we did not want to wreck it further. The case had to go on a plane so we knew that unless we got it fixed, they would not allow it on the plane.

The bag was fine and working on our arrival day, was fine and working when I handed it to bell services and I myself gave it to the bellman. So I suggested that we speak to the front desk. We approached the front desk not with ""hey your bellman broke our bag" but more of a ""we don't know what happend, but the bag was fine when we left Canada otherwise it would not have been allowed on the plane, it was fine when we loaded onto the bus, but now it's not fine"".

Bottom line they where great, had the hotel engineer look at it, determined that it was in fact broken and the DLH replaced the identical bag to my mother with no charge. Very kind of them.

I asked that had it not been a Disney luggage what would they done? Was told that my mother would have been given a cash voucher to buy another bag of resonable cost. But because it was Disney Luggage, she was given the exact one that was broken.

So for me, it seems odd that they would not have offered you the same deal so to speak.

My guess is because they were actually able to look at the bag and determine it was broken, where OP called from home.

I'm sorry this happened to the OP, but I too wonder why they didn't say anything when they picked up the bags from bell services. I understand being in a hurry with kids, but if I saw damage there, I wouldn't wait to report it. I do think Disney does everything they can to remedy situation when presented with it, but I think it needs to be done in a timely manner (and in this particular situation it would have been at the hotel still). Just my opinion, of course.

San Diego is not home for us, btw. The next time we stay there, I am going to haul all of the bags to our room myself.

The same thing happened to the telescoping handle of my rolling carryon at WDW after using ME and bag delivery (to Pop). Didn't realize it until we checked out. After reading your story, I wish I'd complained about it before we left. Can't imagine how it happens except from storing the bags horizontally on the bottom of a too-tall/heavy stack.

The same thing happened to the telescoping handle of my rolling carryon at WDW after using ME and bag delivery (to Pop). Didn't realize it until we checked out. After reading your story, I wish I'd complained about it before we left. Can't imagine how it happens except from storing the bags horizontally on the bottom of a too-tall/heavy stack.

We think that they did put too much on top of it. It is a hard shell type bag with no give. So you put too much weight on it, well something is going to snap.

I am a big advocate of dealing with an issue right then and there, unless we were running to catch a plane, I am dealing with the issue before we leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter