DL with ASD/SPD/ADHD kid

tdk316

Mouseketeer
My son who will be seven when we visit is a seasoned WDW vet but this will be his first time at DL. He is mild ASD, severe ADHD, with some severe SPD issues thrown in for good measure. We'll be trying out the new GAC at WDW in February and are still a little confused about that but I'll figure it out on our home turf (WDW...) so we should be good to go with that by the time we get to DL. DH & I have been twice to DL, but without the kids.

My other son will turn five while we're visiting. This whole trip is to celebrate my youngest's fifth birthday. We will be traveling the week of 4th of July as his birthday is July 2. We're staying off site in a condo across the street so meals won't be as big of an issue and they'll both have some non-Disney space to chill. We normally stay at Bay Lake at WDW and they like to eat most of our meals in the unit without the crazy around them.

We are planning on renting a stroller for him (yes, as a 7yo) because he likes his "safe place" and he has additional muscle issues so if we want to keep going, he needs to ride.

Any tips that are specific to DL to help our travels would be appreciated! We are also planning on taking the kids to Legoland for a day and SD Zoo another day. Thanks many!

My son who will be seven when we visit is a seasoned WDW vet but this will be his first time at DL. He is mild ASD, severe ADHD, with some severe SPD issues thrown in for good measure. We'll be trying out the new GAC at WDW in February and are still a little confused about that but I'll figure it out on our home turf (WDW...) so we should be good to go with that by the time we get to DL. DH & I have been twice to DL, but without the kids.

My other son will turn five while we're visiting. This whole trip is to celebrate my youngest's fifth birthday. We will be traveling the week of 4th of July as his birthday is July 2. We're staying off site in a condo across the street so meals won't be as big of an issue and they'll both have some non-Disney space to chill. We normally stay at Bay Lake at WDW and they like to eat most of our meals in the unit without the crazy around them.

We are planning on renting a stroller for him (yes, as a 7yo) because he likes his "safe place" and he has additional muscle issues so if we want to keep going, he needs to ride.

Any tips that are specific to DL to help our travels would be appreciated! We are also planning on taking the kids to Legoland for a day and SD Zoo another day. Thanks many!

I suggest getting to the park when they open so that you can enjoy the park with very low crowds. We went the same time last year, and the mornings were a ghost town.
My daughter was recently diagnosed with SPD. Fortunately so far, she has not had any issues with the queues at DLR or with waiting, etc. It's a good idea to have some wuiet places in mind in case you sense your DS may need a break. Pirates Lair in DL and Redwood Creek Challange in DCA are good places to get escape from the masses.
I still hold on to my jogging stroller for DLR trips. With the SPD, DD has gross motor concerns. It works well for us to get from land to land without tiring her out too much. Once we are in an area though, she will walk. We like to bring our own, but if you only think you will need it for the parks, you can rent one there for $15/day. It you think you need it outside of the parks, you may want to rent one from City Stroller Rentals.

My son's favourite place to go to chill out when things get overwhelming is the Main Street Cinema. It's rare that there is a crowd, it's dark and cool and there are 6 screens playing old black and white cartoons. DS would stay there for hours if we let him!

You're going to be trying out the DAS when you go to WDW, the only real difference between the way it is used at WDW and DL (as far as I know) is that DL uses the kiosks to give out return times and WDW you just go to the attraction to get a time.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time!

A couple years ago I compiled this list of "chill spots" from a post here. Our kids nap in the stroller in the park so they were meant to be for that time. But if you need to find a less chaotic spot maybe they will help. Also a list of the less crowded bathrooms, in case that helps. (Warning a couple of these may not exist anymore, like Carnation Plaza) Have a great trip!

Favorite Chill Spots:
Walkway that runs behind Thunder Mountain over to Fantasyland
Benches near the train stop at New Orleans Square
Hungry Bear seating area
Tom Sawyer Island
Benches under trees around the Walt Statue (in front of Adventureland, in Carnation Plaza (to right of Frontierland entrance)
Porch on Main street
Animation Building
Theater on Main Street
The outer waiting area for Mr. Lincoln.
Aladdin's Oasis in Adventureland
Tiki Room (with a Dole Whip float )
Ride a full loop around the park on the train
Down by the river by Hungry Bear
By the wishing well at the castle
Benches near the Haunted Mansion
Small passage way from Frontierland to Main St/Fantasyland
Paradise Gardens at DCA
Fantasia Gardens near the Matterhorn and IASW

Less Crowded Bathrooms:
Baby Center on Main Street - has toddler sized toilet
Hungry Bear - it's downstairs, below where you order the food and often seems kind of quiet
Adventureland/Frontierland - it can be busy, but it's also pretty good size so the line moves fast.
Outside of Innoventions - often forgotten/overlooked
Hollywood Boulevard - at the end of the street; it's pretty big.
Outside the Maingate - there are bathrooms to the left of the turnstiles, near the outside lockers.
Cars Land next to Flo's and in Bug's Land - Family bathroom
Waiting area garden at the Tiki Room attraction
By Troubadour Tavern
By autopia that is sort of attached to innoventions
Underneath Bear Country along the Rivers of America.

Innoventions itself on the top level (I think?) is nice and dark and cool, there was a good amount of space there away from everyone to chill out. They may have changed it around but in Oct '12 it was really great. My oldest and husband have some sensory issues as well. We also stopped in at Aladdin's Oasis (BayGirl22 noted it in her list) and that was a wonderful spot as well.

A couple years ago I compiled this list of "chill spots" from a post here. Our kids nap in the stroller in the park so they were meant to be for that time. But if you need to find a less chaotic spot maybe they will help. Also a list of the less crowded bathrooms, in case that helps. (Warning a couple of these may not exist anymore, like Carnation Plaza) Have a great trip!

Favorite Chill Spots:
Walkway that runs behind Thunder Mountain over to Fantasyland
Benches near the train stop at New Orleans Square
Hungry Bear seating area
Tom Sawyer Island
Benches under trees around the Walt Statue (in front of Adventureland, in Carnation Plaza (to right of Frontierland entrance)
Porch on Main street
Animation Building
Theater on Main Street
The outer waiting area for Mr. Lincoln.
Aladdin's Oasis in Adventureland
Tiki Room (with a Dole Whip float )
Ride a full loop around the park on the train
Down by the river by Hungry Bear
By the wishing well at the castle
Benches near the Haunted Mansion
Small passage way from Frontierland to Main St/Fantasyland
Paradise Gardens at DCA
Fantasia Gardens near the Matterhorn and IASW

Less Crowded Bathrooms:
Baby Center on Main Street - has toddler sized toilet
Hungry Bear - it's downstairs, below where you order the food and often seems kind of quiet
Adventureland/Frontierland - it can be busy, but it's also pretty good size so the line moves fast.
Outside of Innoventions - often forgotten/overlooked
Hollywood Boulevard - at the end of the street; it's pretty big.
Outside the Maingate - there are bathrooms to the left of the turnstiles, near the outside lockers.
Cars Land next to Flo's and in Bug's Land - Family bathroom
Waiting area garden at the Tiki Room attraction
By Troubadour Tavern
By autopia that is sort of attached to innoventions
Underneath Bear Country along the Rivers of America.

Great list. WE all need a time out now and then.

I also have an ADHD son, although he is 13 now. I let them play games on the cell phone if the line is long (but I avoid long lines as much as possible).

We have made two trips to DLR with our two boys with Autism, and we have had a wonderful time! I love all of the suggested resting places so far, I concur with these! If I have anything to add it's that the main stress reliever for our family is to take a long pool/hotel break everyday. The water is therapeutic for my boys, also being away from the crowds. My youngest son loves to go to the hotel room to have some down time. The fantastic thing about DLR as opposed to WDW, is that you can travel from one park to another and back to your hotel room in no time at all. Another Mom had a great suggestion, and that was to have a long, table service meal everyday. I agree with this, much less hectic. My boys relieve anxiety by snacking too. They like popcorn and other snacks. They enjoy sitting on a bench and hanging out. Both boys like to utilize headphones while at DLR to block out sounds, some of the rides can be really loud. I also made reservations for the Fantasmic Dessert Pkg and the WOC Dinner Pkg, so the boys didn't have to wait. Good luck! Hope you have a great time!

Midnightred

I also made reservations for the Fantasmic Dessert Pkg and the WOC Dinner Pkg, so the boys didn't have to wait. Good luck! Hope you have a great time!

Midnightred

I didn't know they had this at DL - I'll have to look into it!

And thanks for the list of chill out places - I'll put it in my phone for emergency use!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter