DL with a broken leg...?'s.

Beana

Earning My Ears
We're leaving in a week for DL and my sister broke her leg last Wednesday. She doesn't want to cancel the trip, 7 kids with broken hearts is more than she can take, and plans to rent a ECV to navigate the parks, our only concern is the loooonnngg trek from DTD to the main gates of DL. She doesn't feel that she'd be able to make it on crutches. Any suggestions from folks who have done this?:confused3 TIA

You could always try to rent one from home and bring it on your trip... if your driving you could try to drop her off at the gate..... also someone posted before that there is a place that you can rent them in anahiem that will deliver it to the hotel... i'm not sure about that but i'm sure someone else on here would know.... I was gonna suggest your sister and the kids waiting in dtd while you or someone went to get it but i don't think you can take them in dtd.... If i think of anything else i'll let you know... but i'm sure a few people on the site with have some good ideas!

There is a ton of info in the disAbilities section, including a name of a good place to rent in Anaheim. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Look back in the last few pages; there was a very recent question about where to rent an ECV, and the company name for off-site rental was given along with the phone number. If that happened to me I would definitely rent from off-site rather than in the parks. I've used crutches before, and they hurt!

Tips from one who broke a leg on a mission trip and was a youth director with a broken leg in the summertime and the only event I didn't do with the youth that summer was the high ropes adventure.

1) rent, borrow, buy a wheelchair or ecv. even a regular wheelchair will work. Consider one that has the leg support and can be elevated. Bring along a pillow for elevation.

2) where are you staying? consider someplace very close so that you can get back to the hotel for a rest (maybe even twice a day) When in the room elevate, ice, elevate--lay down not sit. If you don't (and I am assuming she has a cast) you will be miserable and even unsafe should you leg swell in the cast.

3)Talk to the orthopediast before leaving so that pain meds and the group will know should you need to call because you are having problems. Also check with your insurance about how to obtain care in an emergency. The orthopediast knows you break, where you are in the healing process and will be able to advise you about rides- even if they personnally can't someone in the gorup will have been to WDW and/or Disneyland

4) eat, drink plenty, have help to bathroom and on and off rides. There will be several that you will be able to ride. The kids will love this as your party is allowed to stay together in most cases. Downside, you miss the cool queque's.. Have a stash of advil unless contraindicated.

5) bring or buy trashbags for showers and water rides if they will let you on them. Also bring icepacks, you will need them after being up a while on a broken leg.

Any other questions, you can PM me. Been there, done this, didn't follow instructions and paid later as well (all temporarily). Have a great trip

When my back was out last summer, I rented an ECV in the park. Luckily, we were staying on-site, and they let me borrow a wheel chair to go back and forth to the DLH every day. Also, they are very good about giving out ice packs in the first aid stations.

Thanks for all the help/tips. We aren't staying on property so wouldn't have any way of getting a rented ECV to/from the hotel to the parks, so she's going to rent one each day at DL. Therein lies her worry of getting from where the parking garage shuttle lets us off to the main gates of the park. Which reminds me, she asked me to ask all of you here if the CM's in the parking structure would allow us to park near the elevators if we explained her situation or if they'll just herd us into the nearest space like usual?

We're thinking of renting a wheelchair before we leave home and having it with us, but where can we leave it while she's using the ECV during the day? She's one dedicated Disney Diva, I don't think I would even consider this trip if I were in her shoes...um shoe. LOL:lmao: :scared:

Here is the earlier post, by the way: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1766405

It seemed that person is staying offsite and didn't mention a car. I assumed they would just ride it from their hotel. Assuming you're staying on Harbor or so, I believe I have read other posts stating that the batteries of their off-site ECVs were strong enough to do that. It might be on another site where I saw that, though.

I just wanted to be more thorough in my answer, it was bugging me that I just told you to go find the post when you didn't necessarily didin't know what the post's title was.

:flower3:

Well last year I was in my truck an someone rearended me and I refractued my ankle in April and we had a June vacation planned. Well I did not want to cancel the trip so I rented an ecv each day from DLR and used my camwalker (brace). We did stay at the DLH so it was better for me staying on sight. I must say the it was difficult but I am glad I did not change plans. Take plenty of pain meds and take your time. Tell your frend to take what ever time they need. Watch out for anyone close to you while in the park as no one is looking for you especialy on main street. Have a great trip!:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter