DL instead of WDW

We had our first DL trip last year on the way back from Aulani (airfare is much more for us to DL than WDW as well).
We loved the close proximity of the parks/resorts and "hopped" back and forth between both parks several times per day.
It is so much quicker to get back and forth from the resort as well.
Carsland is very well done, be sure to visit at night as well!

Let me start by saying that I love WDW. I love that epcot ball. I love the resorts at WDW. I love that beautiful castle at MK.

However, I also loved DL. I think mainly because DL still allows you to be spontaneous. Our first DL trip was planned in about 2 1/2 days. On a Wedenesday at lunch, my husband and I decided that we would take our family for a week stay. So, Wednesday afternoon I ordered tickets online from Disney. On Thursday I booked our hotel for the week. On Friday we loaded up our SUV and left. We took three days going out because we stopped at the Grand Canyon.

We had a blast. I did have a mini panic attack on the way out there. I had no dining reservations, no touring plan, etc. I had learned about wide right for RSR on Dis, and that was about all I knew. Our trip could not have went any better. We were so relaxed and actually enjoyed the parks.

We weren't running around trying to make a dining reservation or catch a bus back to the resort knowing it would take us 30 minutes to an hour just to go take a break.

So, that's what I loved - just how spontaneous it can still be. We are going back this June. I am twiddling my thumbs with nothing to plan. I know it's just not necessary.

Oh! And this was just our experience. It looked like more people were there, but the lines were shorter to us than at WDW. We couldn't believe that Soarin didn't have a 90 minute wait or Toy Story Mania didn't have a 2 hour wait. The wait times were really nice.

I do wish they had one value resort and one moderate resort. I don't ever see us staying on property out there. That did bum me out.

Come on DL-build your version of Pop! I know, I know no room.....

Great advice! What about attractions, what are ones that would be so excellent at DLR that are must dos?

I think there are many must do's at DLR, but everyone's list may be slightly different.

Most would agree that Pirates, Space, BTMRR, Small World are all better rides at DLR. I would add that the rides WDW does not have are really great as well. Some of them are the best Disney rides anywhere(Indian Jones, RSR). Someone mentioned Fantasyland, and I totally agree. The classic dark rides of DL's Fantasyland add so much character and charm to the park. Some of them are currently being upgraded with new "magic" also(Alice, Peter Pan, and Matterhorn). Add in rides like Casey Jr. and the Canal boats and I think DL's Fantasyland still beats the pants off WDW's "new" FL.

I've been to both WDW and DL several times. They are both different experiences. I live in Colorado and DL is much cheaper for us to go to. I like DL much better. It's not as massive as WDW. It's the original and it's more intimate.

I totally forgot about the joy of not having to make dining reservations 6 months ahead of time! The amount of planning things down to the minute at WDW is a huge detractor to us going ....plus it is a lot farther away distance wise. We can get to DL in a 1-day road trip.

I also forgot two of my favorite spots! Eating outside at the French Market while a Dixieland band is playing. And eating by the Rivers of America at the Hungry Bear. The Fresh Baked Disney YouTube channel has a wonderful 5-minute video looking over the ROA at the Hungry Bear and all you hear is the wonderful park sounds and birds tweeting and the sounds of the water. It soothes my soul watching that until we can go there next.

I'm super excited about our first family trip to DLR this July. That said, as an uber planner, I kinda miss the crazy planning of WDW. With WDW, I was on a FB group for our month PLUS the Dis month thread daily and there was always something to do or something else to get excited/think about. Endless trip reports and dining reviews. Tons and tons of tiny details to keep up on. With DLR...I keep feeling there's nothing much I can do. I'm getting closer to 2 months out now so I'm trying to finalize any ADRs I might want. I am also waiting until about 6 weeks out to subscribe to Ridemax and get my touring plans settled.

So..it's wonderful when I don't need to plan so crazily, but I miss it all at the same time.

But you never know....DLR might well become our park of choice! I am missing the all-inclusive feel of a typical 7-10 days at WDW with dining plan. So I might start planning that for 2016.

I totally forgot about the joy of not having to make dining reservations 6 months ahead of time! The amount of planning things down to the minute at WDW is a huge detractor to us going ....plus it is a lot farther away distance wise. We can get to DL in a 1-day road trip.

I also forgot two of my favorite spots! Eating outside at the French Market while a Dixieland band is playing. And eating by the Rivers of America at the Hungry Bear. The Fresh Baked Disney YouTube channel has a wonderful 5-minute video looking over the ROA at the Hungry Bear and all you hear is the wonderful park sounds and birds tweeting and the sounds of the water. It soothes my soul watching that until we can go there next.

Now that my daughter is entering high school and has more going on, the ability to plan last minute has been such a breath of fresh air for us. We really defected because of FP+, but we're staying because of the ability to be more spontaneous in general.

We are WDW people who are making our first trip to DLR in about a month.

About a year ago we moved from the Eastern US to the Western US, so going forward, it will be a lot cheaper for us to travel to DLR.

However, we love the immersive aspect of a WDW vacation (to us, the resorts and restaurants at WDW are as important to our vacation experience as the parks). I also don't mind the heavy planning aspect of WDW because, for me, planning the vacation is half the fun.

To me, the most attractive aspect of DLR versus WDW is the intimacy (everything is so close together). Along those lines, I sort of suspect we may end up liking the parks aspect of DLR better than WDW. But I'm concerned that we'll miss that immersive, all-inclusive feel of a WDW vacation that extends well beyond the parks.

We're staying on site (DLH) and have booked some of the most iconic on-site DLR dining experiences. But I appreciate that the overall experience won't quite be the same as WDW. Hopefully, it will be just as good, but in a different way.

Ultimately, I could see us alternating between DLR and WDW every other year.

We've done both and loved both, but prefer Disneyland Resort. Reason being, I'm kind of a sentimental person. I love that Disneyland is WALT'S Park. I feel the magic there WAY more then at WDW. I also love how close together everything is in California. Being a West Coaster myself, it's obviously much closer and cheaper too. But I definitely think it's something you need to experience at LEAST once. Plus, CARSLAND!!!

I've been to WDW 7 times with 55 park days. I've been to DL several times now with over 20 park days (most have happened over the last 18 months). WDW is still my favorite place to go, but with a family of 5, it's easier and cheaper to drive 350 to DL. Below is some things I can speak to on what's better and worse.

What you lose by going to DL: All of Animal Kingdom - I miss this park with the safari and Everest and all the animals and great Broadway type shows. DL does not replicate any of this park with the exception of one of the Dinoland rides. World Showcase - I do wish DL had something like this. Irreplaceable. Rides and shows - Laugh Floor, Stich's Escape, New Fantasyland, Indy Stunt Show, LMA Car Show, Tower of Terror is a lot better at WDW, Figment's Ride. Complete Immersion - Without spending your kid's college money and staying at Grand Cali, you just don't get that Disney Bubble feeling at DL. The DL Hotel gets you close, but I still didn't feel in the bubble like I do when I stay at any of the WDW moderates or deluxes. Nightly Entertainment - Wishes, and Fantasmic! every night....Fireworks and and F! at DL happen only on the weekends during the offseason. And no Illuminations, which for me is the best. Table Service Options - While DL has one of the best TS (Blue Bayou sitting on the banks of PiratesOTC), you certainly don't have all the great places like Liberty Tree Tavern, Tony's, Crystal Palace, or anything from World Showcase.

What you gain by going to DL: Cars Land - This place really is amazing. While the Racers ride is a lot like Test Track, it isn't quite as fast. But it replaces it by far with the most immersive ride you'll ever go on. Period. Add in the other rides, eats, and overall architecture and it's an amazing place. Everything is withing walking distance - This really can't be overstated. Whether at one of the DL hotels or at a hotel on Harbor Blvd, being able to not have to wait for a bus/rush for that bus going to where you want to go is a piece of stress I don't miss at all. PLUS, if you want to parkhop, no bus is needed. Exit the gate, walk the distance of a football field, enter the gate, BOOM! It's that easy. And while you don't have the grand size of WDW, the small size of DL just makes everything so convenient. Rides and Shows - Pirates, Space Mt, and Big Thunder are all better versions than the WDW counterparts. Finding Nemo Subs, Matterhorn (if you have a good neck), Mickey & The Magical Map show, Aladdin Live, Bug's Land (very well themed and great for little ones), World of Color, a better Fantasmic! with far worse seating. Weather - for me, there's only a small window to go to WDW. It's too darn hot and rainy. In SoCal, kiss the humidity good bye. And you'll only find a handful of days where there's unbearable heat, unlike WDW where it's unbearable mid-May through mid-October.

Hope this gives you some good direction.

I love both places, and I really feel the are very different. We have different experiences at each place.

We live in the Bay Area, so DLR is easier and cheaper for us. But even so, I prefer DLR to WDW. There's something... special about DLR. I feel different there. Surrounded by something almost actually magical. I used to get that feeling at WDW when I first went, but now there is so very much planning and organizing and strategizing that goes into it for me to make sure my girls get to enjoy everything. I still have a lot of fun, but it is a far less magical experience for me.

At DLR, I can plan some things or I can plan nothing at all, and I know either way, we will experience little bits of magic here and there throughout the trip. We randomly run into characters (it's so planned out at WDW). Like Peter Pan skipping through the Tink M&G area, and seeing my youngest DD dressed up as Tink, and stopping to get pictures with her and chat with her about Neverland. We can get a table at a sit down restaurant on a whim (I would never go to WDW without all my TS plans done at 180+ days out- I get up at 4am to get them). My daughters have both experienced random and magical moments, like a CM playing with them at the ranch area and helping my older DD plan a party and getting her in the back door to meet the princesses and invite them to the party, then getting Minnie, Mrs Claus, and the Country Bears all to come to her pretend party. :)

DLR has a feeling that I don't get at WDW, much as I enjoy and love it. And that makes it my favorite. We went to WDW this past January, and I had so much fun, but I was glad that we live close to DLR and can go there often.

Enjoy! Either way, you really can't miss. They are both fun and wonderful places to visit.

The first time we rode the swinging car my son screamed "I don't want to die at Disneyland" :laughing:

Recently returned from a trip to WDW, and while there, my 10 year old daughter wanted to purchase a few of the Park Exclusive Pandora charms. She chose a few of the ones from WDW and then asked the CM if she had "Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death".

This received a huge "Huh?" reaction, which prompted my daughter to again repeat that she wished to purchase "Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death". I'm killing myself laughing because it dawns on my that my daughter has only ever heard my wife and I refer to that ride with the words "of Death" attached to the end of the name.

We live in Eastern Canada, so we are much closer to Florida, but we visit both theme park resorts. Naturally, the plane ride is quite a lot cheaper going to Florida, but the overall cost of the vacation comes out about the same. That's because we stay on-site at WDW, but we stay at cheaper hotels on Harbor when we visit DLR.

I would recommend trying DLR at least once. Think about it: one of the reasons for going to Orlando is to experience all the new stuff, right? Well, at DLR there will be lots of things that are new to you, including unique attractions as well as different versions of familiar rides.

We travel from the UK and DL is much further than WDW for us, we have been to both parks and DL will always be the one for us.
It's Walt's park in our eyes.

Forgive me for not having an answer to the OP's question - I actually have more questions! I've only been to WDW, and never to DLR. So if this is not an inappropriate place for me to ask them (please let me know if I should start a new thread instead)...

1. I've taken Rock n Roller, and quite enjoyed it (in the dark, I could hardly tell during the inversions), but looking at California Screamin' scares the h*ll out of me. I understand this is subjective, but to you guys, which is more intense? Should I give it a shot?

We couldn't believe that Soarin didn't have a 90 minute wait or Toy Story Mania didn't have a 2 hour wait. The wait times were really nice.

I do wish they had one value resort and one moderate resort. I don't ever see us staying on property out there. That did bum me out.

Come on DL-build your version of Pop! I know, I know no room.....

2. I see that TSM isn't a fastpass attraction over in DCA, compared to in WDW. What are the wait times like? Should I worry about it if I plan to ride it in the late morning, e.g. 10.30 am

On another note, I must totally agree that i wish DLR had value / moderate resorts, on property!

3. How much of an impact do 'grad nights' in DLR have on crowds and wait times? I'm trying to pick which 3 days to visit the parks from 26 (Tue) - 29 (Fri) May, and 26-27 are grad nights, while 29 is a blockout date for SoCal Select. I'm also not sure whether to rely on touringplans (which would recommend 27-29) or isitpacked.com for a better crowd calendar!

We've done both and loved both, but prefer Disneyland Resort. Reason being, I'm kind of a sentimental person. I love that Disneyland is WALT'S Park. I feel the magic there WAY more then at WDW. I also love how close together everything is in California. Being a West Coaster myself, it's obviously much closer and cheaper too. But I definitely think it's something you need to experience at LEAST once. Plus, CARSLAND!!!

exactly! DL is very special, where it all began. We have along haul from where I live, so we always do split trips to Las Vegas first, then a short, cheap flight onward to DL.

We've been fortunate to usually be able to use our DVC points @ the VGC. Typically visit off-season Have always only stayed 'onsite'. When we can't use our points, we go with whatever promo at the time @ DLH, this year we lucked into the Gay Days rate which is less than half of rack rate. Without a car we want to be close and in the Disney fold for the 4 or 5 nights we usually visit. If I a deal hadn't materialized this year, I'd have booked the Hilton @ the convention center or one of their nearby properties, all were pricing pre tax under $100 a night for modern looking facilities.

We consider WDW our second home, fortunate to visit often but again, often do a split trip including staying onsite @ universal Orlando or a cruise. We obviously love it @ WDW but I disagree as to those who think it's a slower pace/more laid back. that is exactly the vibe we get @ DL. Perhaps it has to do more with which park you are most familiar and how quickly you can commando if that's your thing.

it's all good:flower1:

"Mickey's Wheel of Terror" !!! OMG! I'm dying here!! :lmao:

Scariest ride EVER!! :rotfl:

She chose a few of the ones from WDW and then asked the CM if she had "Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death".

This received a huge "Huh?" reaction, which prompted my daughter to again repeat that she wished to purchase "Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death".
AKA "Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death"...

And no, it's not as bad as it looks, although it's the only ride in DCA with barf bags.

I simply adore DL and its my home park. I went for a decade and a half to WDW and then back in 2007 went to DL to the first time and fell in love.

From the outside it look like an amusement park you would find in any major city but once inside its all pure Disney!

Like Janet said above there is as much rides and attractions in two parks at Disneyland as their are in 4 parks at WDW.

We usually stay 4-5 days at DL and then couple our vacation with stays in San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado...looks like GRand Floridian but built over a hundred years before and its right on the ocean, San Francisco, Monterey, and Yosemite National Park (Heaven on Earth!).

There is really so much to tell you about Disneyland. The history and nostalgia gives me goosebumps when I walk down Mainstreet. All the fireworks, parades, Fantsmic!, and plays are so much better at Disneyland.

If you don't get caught up in how small it is you will have a blast.

We have now gone to Disneyland more than WDW and its crazy how many times we've been to both. I'm lucky to live in KC where the distance is to both is close to the same.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Where do you live? Who would be traveling with you?

We live in the middle of the country so have been to both parks a number of times.

Most who prefer WDW do so for the immersive experience of the resort as a whole. It's so much bigger with more resorts, restaurants and extra activities than they will ever be able to squeeze into DLR.

If you can make it before 2016, DLR offers legacy FP still. I have a friend there today who just pulled something like his 9th set of headliner fastpasses. You simply can't replicate that at WDW any more.

DLR has a different customer base. It's more focused on local repeat customers, so they try to keep things fresh. After a number of trips to WDW, we started wishing for something new.

Some say you lose the immersive feel at DLR. We haven't had an issue with that since we typically stay all day in the parks anyway.

Who did you hear this from? I know there has been talk of MyMagic+ coming to DL, but I haven't seen any confirmation of what this will entail. If this is fact, I'm seriously upset right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter