DL in the winter?

Denine

I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny
We are considering a trip to DL in Jan or Feb of next year. I see in Birnbaums that there is an average rain fall of 3". Is it worth it to spend the money/points to go then or should we wait until March or April?
We usually go to WDW in the spring for the flower festival.

We have been to DL once in 2005.

We would stay on points at the GC if we can get in or possibly the HoJo's where we stayed the last time with cash.

I have found that when it is forecasted to rain, the crowds are minimal and I have been able to do more in one day. I would say go for it. A little water never hurt anyone. Just stop by your local walmart and get a few disposable ponchos in the camping supplies aisle.

We always travel to DLR during traditionally quiet times strictly to avoid the crowds. Coming from Alberta, any type of California winter weather is far superior to what we would be experiencing at home! :yay:

In our experience, a rainy day just means that we dress for the weather, accept that we will get wet, and thoroughly enjoy walking on to almost every ride! We wouldn't trade those days for anything! :cool1:

Good luck with your decision! You are sure to have a magical time, no matter what you decide! :goodvibes

I love going in Jan and Feb and have never actually had a really rainy day. One thing we like to do is have one "extra" day in our trip. That way, if a day looks really rainy we can skip it. If the weather is never an issue we just sleep in and do DTD. It seems to make for a very relaxing trip.

I went in Jan for two days and the first day warmish- maybe 70's. The next day was very cold and stayed in the low 50's and we wore coats all day. In my experience it seemed to rain more in Spring than winter, but I haven't looked at rainfall, just my own experience in visiting.

Thanks for the replies.

As long as it isn't as cold as it was this past Jan/Feb when we were in WDW. It was 32!

Too bad my Owner's Locker is in Fla!

I've been in Jan & Feb both, when it's pouring and when it's not. We like the off season, the crowds are lower and it's a lot of fun. Even in the rain it's a lot of fun, just take umbrellas and/or ponchos, extra shoes and socks so you can switch off in the hotel room and be aware that you might get wet.

Jan/Feb was my favorite time we went due to the fact there were no crowds. I do remember it getting cold at night- cold enough to where my kids wore winter coats and hats, but it was not a big deal. Unless the water rides (SM, GRR) are important to you, it should be fine.

We did a Jan trip 3 years ago, and from now on, we will only do Jan trips. When we were there, it was cold but we didnt have any rain and the crowds werent bad at all. Last year we went in sept and the heat was bad, for me, atleast. Id take winter time over any season.

Thanks again.

I am still leaning toward Jan/Feb, but DH isn't sure.

I think Jan/Feb is the best time to go - fewer crowds and if it is raining, that means even few people there and a California rain isn't that terrible. The downside is the attractions are more likely to be undergoing maintenance work that time of year.

OMG thats the best time to go !!!!!!!! you get some heavy duty poncho's and go !! you have no waits on the rides, you get right on and truly if I could have gone then I would have this year !! ( even my kids will tell you that the rainy season is the best time to go ever !!

We were just there in Feb and the crowds were great - we barely waited for anything except in the evenings on the weekend. The weather was fine - 60's and partly cloudy most of the time, but the sun peeked through from time to time and warmed things up.

There were a fair number of attractions closed for refurbishment, but the trade off in low crowd sizes was totally worth it.

Rainy days at Disneyland during the off-season are amazing. Literally nobody goes. Disneyland is a local's park, and during off-peak times its pretty much 70-80% locals in the park. When it rains, locals, unlike tourists, just stay home.

Last year in December on a rainy day (I believe December 7th), total daily attendence was 4,000. The entire day.

I remember a rainy day in March, it did not start raining until 7PM, but by 9PM the park was empty, and still open until 11. Amazing.

I LOVE Disney during that time (DL and DW), especially if you can get there while the Christmas decorations are still up and Haunted Mansion is still re-done with Nightmare Before Christmas. Grab some ponchos if it rains (it never gets THAT cold or rainy here in my opinion, but I moved down from WA XD), I'd avoid the umbrellas, it's really annoying for those of us at umbrella-pokey-thing-in-eye level when it's crowded. :P

Yeah, we always do the poncho thing at WDW. Now that DD is out of a stroller, it would be easier for everyone to don a poncho and go.
We couldn't go on a lot of rides the last time we were there since DD was only 2 and we didn't want to do the rider switch.
Now that she will be 7, she will be able to go on rides too.

Still debating on whether we can afford to go, but keeping fingers crossed.
I want to take DD back while she is still little, but can actually remember it.

We were at Disneyland the week before last Christmas. One day it rained really hard, as in we-thought-we-were-back-home-in-Seattle rain. The park was EMPTY. We walked on to almost all of the rides. On some rides we got off and reboarded. Looking back, I kind of liked that day!

Winter is my favorite time to be Disneyland.

Shelley in WA

We were at Disneyland the week before last Christmas. One day it rained really hard, as in we-thought-we-were-back-home-in-Seattle rain. The park was EMPTY. We walked on to almost all of the rides. On some rides we got off and reboarded. Looking back, I kind of liked that day!

Winter is my favorite time to be Disneyland.

Shelley in WA

December 17th, IIRC.

Total attendence that day was 4,000 people. And that was for the entire day, so at some points of the day there was only 30% of that in the park.

For comparisons sake, the average "slow day" is still 17,000-18,000 guests.

December 17th, IIRC.

Total attendence that day was 4,000 people. And that was for the entire day, so at some points of the day there was only 30% of that in the park.

For comparisons sake, the average "slow day" is still 17,000-18,000 guests.

Actually, it had to be a later day, as we didn't even leave Seattle until the 17th. Maybe the 22nd or 23rd?

If you think you will avoid crowds you wont. Winter is no longer the off season here at Disneyland thanks to Disney marketing trying to adjust to the horrible economy. Really a smart business move though, but bad for us park guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter