DIY Wedding Favor Ideas or Welcome Bag Gifts: Jan. 17 Table Decorations

Dolly, while I am a hopeless DIY-wannabe (everything I make looks like a second grader's art project), I love reading your posts!

And, after looking at your Christmas ornament ideas, DF and I chose a personalized Mickey ornament to give each family that comes to our wedding as our favor.

Thanks for all your inspiration and the hard work you do for all the DISbrides!

With the right equipment...a paper trimmer, scoring board, bone folder and a good pair of scissors, your projects can be elevated from a second grader's art project to a more professional looking gift. It just takes a little bit of time, a good eye and a steady hand to get straight lines and a good crease. Okay and maybe the fact the I'm a little bit of a perfectionist helps. Keep trying though, one day you will make something that you will be super proud to give friends!

My best example is I'm not very good at making cakes. My sister and I made a castle cake for my neices 4th birthday and it looked about like a second grade art project. :goodvibes We sang the song and blew out the candles as quickly as we could and then whisked it away to cut so that others wouldn't see just how bad it looked. Well...this year I made cupcakes that looked like hamburgers and they turned out GREAT! All of that to say...don't give up trying you will eventually make the perfect DIY project!!!

Start off with either a water bottle wrapper or wine/water bottle tag. They are super simple with basically cutting out a rectangle. If you don't cut straight lines, use a paper trimmer to get a good cut. You can even pick scrapbook paper with your wedding colors, cut it down to size and use it to wrap around a water bottle without worrying with wording, ingredient label, etc. If you are going to put the water in a gift bag or basket...you don't have to cover the wrapper with laminate. It is a step that I do so that I don't have to worry with the colors on the paper running/bleeding if they get wet, but it isn't necessary.

DIY Favor #6: Miniature Tissue Box and Tissue Pocket/Pouch

The miniature tissue box is a great little favor that you can include in your welcome bags/baskets or for during your wedding. Lots of brides leave tissue holders along with their wedding programs and guest book as a fun little favor for during the wedding. There are lots of great sayings that you can put in a frame or you can add to a tag, place on a bow and wrap around your tissue holder.

Here are a few sayings:
1. "For tears of joy"
2. "If weddings always make you cry, here is something to dry your eyes."
3.”In case your heart overflows and you have tears of love and joy.”
4. "Tears of joy, tears of laughter, tears of happily ever after."

Here is an example of a tissue box...this is a small size box and it fits the handy pocket size tissue pouch that you can purchase at Walmart or most drug stores:
TissueBox.jpg

This is an example of a tissue pocket...it also fits the handy pocket size tissues, but you will only want to put approximately three in each pocket.
TissuePacket.jpg

Dolly! You are simply amazing!!! :lovestruc

Thank you soooo much for your tutorials and detailed instructions! I can't wait to give them a try! I am sure my guests will be very impressed if my productions come out even half as nice as yours!

Thank you VERY much!! :yay:

DIY Favor #7 Candy Tents:

I love candy tents as they are the perfect little favor for a wedding or any type of party. They are great because they stand up on their own and they can also be used as a place card by adding a guests name either on a tag or directly onto the candy tent. You can add a fun size bag of candy like M&M's or Skittles inside the tent, or any type of small favor inside a plastic bag. These can be used at your wedding or even in your welcome favor bag/basket.

I know that I have been making red and green items and I have lots more to match those, but I thought I would post these damask candy tents that I designed a while back to match a damask wedding invitation suite that I made. Here are three different styles...each flap is a different shape. You can add most anything to a candy tent to personalize it. You can add a tag with "thank you", your monogram or the guests name like I did in the picture below.

CandyTents.jpg

I finally purchased more color ink so I should be posting several new DIY favor ideas in the next couple of days!

DIY Favor #8: Pillow Box

This is another great little holder for your favorite type of candy or mints. This DIY project is a little bit harder to make than a candy tent as it requires that you score a curved line, which makes it more of an advanced DIY project. Scoring a curved line is not the easiest of tasks, but it can be done with a little bit of patience. You might laugh but I place several napkins under the card stock paper and then I score the curved line with my scoring tool. There might be a tool out there for scoring curved lines or a better option than napkins, but it works for me! Worse case, if you don't have the patience to score a curved line, you can find blank pillow boxes for sell which you can jazz up with ribbon and tags.

PillowBox.jpg

DIY Favor #9: French Fry Box

French Fry Boxes make super cute gift holders. They are the perfect box for putting together a small collection of gifts, like a "bear necessities" kit or even a manicure gift set pictured below in the green french fry box. They are also great for giving a food gift, like chocolates, cookies, etc. You can place them in "crystal clear party bags" that you can find at Walmart, hobby stores or party shops.

FrenchFryBox.jpg

DIY Favor #10: Candy Bar Wrapper

Candy bars can make great wedding favors for either your event or to add in a gift bag/basket along with a bottle of water. I love making candy bar wrappers that not only are cute on the front, but also include an ingredients label to match the event on the back. Here is one that I made to match all of the other red and green printables that I have been posting.

CandyBarWrapper.jpg

DIY Favor #11: Hotel Game #1

I think another GREAT idea of inexpensive things to include in your "Welcome Gift" for guests traveling from out of town are printable games, especially for families with children. These can help adults keep the kids entertained not only while they travel, but also during the time they have to spend in their hotel room.

"Don't Eat Pete!" is a fun game that you can include in your Welcome Bag/Basket for families traveling with children so that they have something fun to do in the hotel room inbetween wedding events. All you have to do is print the board game and add a bag of M&M's or you can put the M&Ms in a pillow box or a clear bag with a bag topper.

I found this game online but the image was blurry so I made my own. I'm posting it here for everyone as a wedding gift to you! Let me know if you like it.

All you need is a bag of M&Ms to go with the game board.

MMDontEatPeteMine2.jpg

DIY Favor #12: Hotel Game #2

Here is a hotel scavenger hunt that I made, and it is another great game to include in your welcome bag/basket for your guests...especially ones traveling with children.

ScavengerHuntHotel.jpg

If you like this game, look in my 4shared file in the link in my signature...then look in the "travel games" file and the "hotel scavenger hunt" subfile for additional photo scavenger hunts that are specific to a few of the Disney resorts like AKL, POR, All Star Music, All Star Movies and Wilderness Lodge.

I also have lots of other great printable travel games that you can include in your welcome gift or you can send in advance to anyone that is traveling with children. There are travel scavenger hunts, travel bingo, lines & dots, the license plate game, battleship...etc.

Leave a post and let me know what favor is your favorite so far, and if you want me to keep posting more ideas. Also, if you have made favors or things for your welcome gift...post some pictures for other DISBrides on this thread.

I thought #5 & #6 were great ideas! Did you use a machine to make the on-the-go boxes or were those cut by hand??

I thought #5 & #6 were great ideas! Did you use a machine to make the on-the-go boxes or were those cut by hand??

Thanks for your post!

So far, I have made everything by hand. The only thing that I haven't cut myself are the circles and I used a hand punch for those. So all of the pictures are proof that you can make these without expensive machines. All you need is a template and thick (cardstock) scrapbook paper. I did add all of the patterns and colors to the templates in photoshop, but you can get the same look and feel with scrapbook paper. You really need heavy weight scrapbook paper or card stock to make these items. I used white cardstock that was 110 lb. weight purchased from walmart.

I have a cricut, but I haven't purchased the software so that I can use SVG files (I think that is the correct file name) to cut boxes and favor bags.

That really is impressive! Any chance you could post or PM me how you made the on the go boxes? That would be excellent as a little christmas gift next week! Such a good idea on so many levels!

That really is impressive! Any chance you could post or PM me how you made the on the go boxes? That would be excellent as a little christmas gift next week! Such a good idea on so many levels!

I found the original idea on:
http://www.bellesprintables.com/free-printables-1.html

I took the idea and then using photoshop, made my own template with the red and white diamond patterned paper that I also designed. The box is not very big...it is the perfect size for two on the go packets.

Oh goodness! I'm being introduced into a whole new world of crafting this is pboth exciting and dangerous at the same time!! lol

DIY #13: S'mores Kit

I saw a similar kit online and just had to make my own! If you are looking for something fun and FREE to do with all of your guests coming to Disney, consider going to the Free Camp Fire Sing-A-Long with Chip and Dale at the Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Campground

It generally begins around 7 p.m. during the fall/winter season and 8 p.m. beginning sometime in April through the summer. It is held near the Meadow Trading Post in the campfire area. The program begins with a sing-along led by a Disney cast member - if you've seen "Barney", you know these songs - and a marshmallow roast around two campfire rings. While this is going on, Chip and Dale make an appearance to visit with guests and sign autographs. The sing-along lasts about 40 minutes.

After the sing-along , a Disney movie is shown on a large outdoor screen.Seating is available in bleachers or on benches. There is also plenty of room to lay out a blanket or set up your own camp chairs. In the event of rain, the sing-along is still held on the porch of the Meadow Trading Post.

You may bring your own marshmallows or buy them at the Chuckwagon Snack Bar (roasting sticks - $0.49 each, Marshmallow Bag -$3.99, Hershey's Chocolate Bars - $1.99 each, or a whole s'mores kit is around $8.99; prices accurate as of May 2010). You may also buy pizza, hot dogs, candy, nachos, juice, popcorn, sodas, coffee, beer and other refreshments at the Chuckwagon Snack Bar.

The campground also has a free petting zoo and pony rides (about $5 each) that close earlier in the afternoon. These are in the "Settlement Trading Post" area - take the Ft. Wilderness internal bus. The Trail's End Restaurant is considered one of WDW's best buffet values. The Trail's End also has a carry-out window called “Trails-To-Go” 16-inch pizzas and fried chicken meals – both individually sized and family sized. If you have a free day (or your arrival day), you can go early and see the petting zoo, have a nice dinner, and then head over to the Sing-Along. It is one of Disney's least expensive Character Meet and Greet experiences and a great low-key activity when you find yourself a little over-stimulated from the theme parks.

One option for your guests is to take your own smore packets by getting a sandwich ziploc baggy and sticking graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows in them...then you can purchase a roasting stick for 49 cents when you are there. You could also add a cute bag topper to the baggy.

Here is what I put together:

Smores1.jpg

Smores2.jpg

For the "roasting stick", I took a hanger and used a wire cutter to cut off the hook part of the hanger, then I bent it in half and tied a ribbon around it so that it would fit in the box. Now is the best time to buy boxes to put together a "s'mores kit" or any type of fun kit for your wedding. This box came packaged as a set of five boxes for $3.00 (I think) at Walmart. Each box measures 8.25 x 7 x 3.5 inches. A small water bottle would also easily fit in this box along with the other things to make s'mores so that your guests would have something to wash down their treat.

Another idea for making a "s'mores kit" would be to put everything into a gallon ziploc baggy then use a bag topper to hang it over the bottom of a hanger. Then you could carry the hangers with you to the Sing-A-Long and pass them out to all of your guests.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS IDEA...

FAQ:

Do you have to stay at the Campground to go to Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long?
No, the campfire sing-along and outdoor movie are available to all Disney Guests.

How do I get to Fort Wilderness?
You can take a bus from your resort to the nearest Disney theme park, water park, or Downtown Disney. Then catch the bus there to the Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. You can also take a boat from the Disney's Magic Kingdom theme park. The campground has its own internal bus system. You need to take the Yellow Loop bus to the camp loop 1500 Bus Stop. This is the stop for the "Meadow Trading Post" Recreation Area. If you are unsure, just ask the bus drivers; they are very friendly and helpful. Across the street from the bus stop, you'll see a wooden foot bridge and a sign for the Meadow Recreation Area clearly directing you to the Camp Fire Program. You'll pass the volleyball court. When you arrive at the swimming pool, take the path right around the pool and behind the pool building. At this point you will cross over to the Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long area. You will see the sign, stage, seating area, screen and the conastoga wagon snackbar. It sounds like a lot of steps, but it is actually a fairly short walk.

What if I'm driving?
Take I-4 to Exit 64B. Take the right guest lane to the Magic Kingdom theme park and tell the gate guard that you are going to Fort Wilderness. Follow the signs to the campground. You will have to present photo ID at the gate. You will park at the "outpost". The campground has its own internal bus system. You need to take the Yellow Loop bus to the camp loop 1500 Bus Stop. This is the stop for the "Meadow Trading Post" Recreation Area. If you are unsure, just ask the bus drivers; they are very friendly and helpful. Across the street from the bus stop, you'll see a wooden foot bridge and a sign for the Meadow Recreation Area clearly directing you to the Camp Fire Program. You'll pass the volleyball court. When you arrive at the swimming pool, take the path right around the pool and behind the pool building. At this point you will cross over to the Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long area. You will see the sign, stage, seating area, screen and the conastoga wagon snackbar. It sounds like a lot of steps, but it is actually a fairly short walk.
Is there a charge or admission fee?

The Sing-Along and Movie are free – you can purchase S'mores kits or other refreshments
What if it rains?

There is a covered porch area that they might move the Sing-Along to if a full evening of rain is expected - the movie will be cancelled. For brief rain showers, they may pause and let you take cover until it passes.

Are there restrooms?
Yes, there are nice restrooms behind the snack bar area.

What movies are being shown?
See this month's Resort and Hotels Outdoor Movie Schedule

What other activities are there to do at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground?You can also rent boats or kayaks from the Fort Wilderness Marina. (Extra Cost)
The Electric Water Pageant can be seen from the Ft Wilderness Marina.
Pony Rides ($5 each; for children age 2 - children weighing 80 pounds or less / 10:00AM - 5:00PM)
Nightly Wagon Rides (Extra Cost)
Cane Pole Fishing ($10 - 10:00AM - 2:00PM)

DIY #14: Bag Topper

Bag toppers are super simple to make and can really spruce up a candy treat. You can use them with ziploc bags or my personal favorite is to use them with plastic jewelry bags that you can get at Walmart or craft stores like Hobby Lobby.

Here is a bag topper that I made for m&ms to go with the "Don't Eat Pete" game board that I posted earlier. You could put anything on your bag topper including your wedding monogram and date, simple wording like "thanks" or "welcome", etc. If you aren't computer savy and or can't afford someone to design a topper for you, you can pick out scrapbook paper that coordinates with your wedding colors and use it to make bag toppers.

MMBagTopper.jpg

DIY #15: Gift Basket/Box

You don't have to spend a lot of money to make a fun "Welcome Gift" for your guests. Here is a gift basket/box (I'm not sure what to call it as the holder is a round bowl/tub that I found at Dollar General) and I assembled to make a relatively inexpensive welcome gift. This is a welcome gift I did for Christmas, but it will give you the general idea for a quick inexpensive gift that you can dress up for your guests.

Christmas2009003.jpg

Here is a quick break down of the cost:
Holder $2.00 at Dollar General
Clear Wrapping Paper $3.99 at Michaels and it will wrap 6-10 baskets
Ribbon $1.00 - 2.00 for a 15 foot roll of wire ribbon which will wrap 3 baskets

Inexpensive things you can include in your basket:
2 Water Bottles
2 Soda Cans/Bottles
Microwave Popcorn
Candy
Cookies
Peanut Butter and/or Cheese Crackers
any type of snack food that you can purchase for lunch sacks works great!

Here is another one that I made...the clear cellophane looks better in person than in pictures:
GiftBasket.jpg

DIY #16: Box for Playing Cards

If you haven't noticed...I love travel games and giving guests something to do in their hotel. You can buy playing cards for $1.00 and then you can make a new box for them that matches your wedding colors, theme or has cute wedding clipart on it. Here is one that I made for a game that I love to play with kids called "Spoons". The instructions are on the back and I put the last name on the front of the cards. I designed the box from scratch...what do you think? Now that I think about it...I should have put a heart not spade.

PlayingCards.jpg

This would not only be great in a Welcome Basket, but it would also make a fun favor for guests to take home from the wedding. You could play off of the "two of a kind" quote.

Here are some others that I have seen:
playingcards3.jpg

playing_cards_multicolor.jpg

playing-cards2.jpg

DIY #17: Sewing Kit

This is another super cute DIY project that you can put together very inexpensively for your guests. Hotels used to provide lots of amenities like sewing kits but in our economy they have cut way back and no longer have lots of little "extras". If you are planning on having a Disney wedding or a destination wedding this is a great little favor to include in your welcome gift basket, as you never know when you are traveling when you may need to fix a button on a shirt or hem on a pair of pants. You can do lots of fun things with the sewing kit like put your monogram on it or something cute like "sew glad you are here!"

All you need to make these is cardstock, a pair of scissors with a pinking edge, a couple of spools of thread in different colors, some needles, safety pins and a button (which is optional).

SewingKit.jpg

If you like the things that I have posted so far...make sure you leave a message for me to let me know and I will keep making more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter