DIY trip in December - tentative queries

TraceyL

Always planning........
Been doing some calculations for December, 2 adults 2 dd's aged 2 and 6.....progress so far....

BA flights £1100 /VA flights £1250

Sheraton Lakeside 7 nights $49 p night (US DIS)

Car Hire with Dollar - 14 days all inclusive 4 door int - £390 (direct with DollarUK)

Waiting for quote from Dreams for 7 nights ASMo with UMP

Virgin Holidays already no availability so thought I'd try diy.

Any comments ?
Anyone got any cheaper car hire suggestions ?
What's the weather like ?
Will we still get all the Christmas "goodies" ?

Have you phoned travelcity direct ? we got a really good deal for our holiday last month.

Kevin.

Hi Tracey

The weather can be a bit unpredictable - layers is the best option. We found that we needed long trouser (jog pants) and sweatshirts very early morning and after the sun went down. We just left them in the lockers each day for when we needed them. We have not been early December so this could be slightly warmer (?)

By all the goodies I assume you mean Christmas Lights, Trees, Decorations etc? If so, then yes, you would see them all. They usually go up for Thanksgiving and are around till January 6th.

Have you tried Autos Abroad for your car hire? I haven't used them before, but I recall them being mentioned quite a lot in the past.

Hope this helps - good luck with your plans ;)

We went from the 8th to the 22nd December.

Weather was fantastic, 10 degress above normal; but it did get cold after we left.

I got flights for 4 adults, 1 child for £1450, with Virgin Travelstore and £1000 for a villa in Lindfields. Try Choice Air for the car hire, we have a 7 seater mini van, with everything for £411.

You will get all the Christmas decorations even early in December.

Anything else, ask away.

Theresa

Currently pricing up for 1-15 Dec although we are flexible a few days either way.

Dreams have quoted me over $1500 for a week at ASMo - think that will blow our budget. Trouble is we've been spoilt with staying onsite and having UMP on our last 2 visits !!

AT $249/$199 a 5 day hopper seems quite reasonable, the thing I'd particularly miss is being able to pop in and out of the water parks though :( Have been toying with the idea of getting 1 AP ($354 with DC discount) to see if we can get even a couple of nights onsite at the end of the trip

Thanks for the car hire suggestions - that's my next task :).

I like Choice Air car hire prices ! I can have a 4 x4 or convertible for the same price as Dollar :bounce:

Thanks

Tracey,

Do you think you would be able to do the water parks in December?

We could have done when we stayed because it was 10 degrees above normal, but not so sure with 'normal' weather. But then again we are hardy Brits! ;)

I think you could probably get the All Stars cheaper yourself, even without AP discount.

I have never stayed on site, so I must try it one time, but I really do like the idea of being able to get Dana to bed and be able to watch TV or sort stuff out for the next day without worrying about waking her.

Choice Air were cool and it was with Dollar on site at Orlando Int. No problems, didn't even ask for a credit card swipe. Mind you no pampering like Virgin, 'here's you key it's in bay 49!!'........sort yourself out!!

Theresa

That's a very good point about the water parks Theresa - I hadn't thought of that !

Dreams have also quoted me $483 for 7 nights room only at ASMo - big difference !

Tracey,

Is that Sheraton quote $49 before or after tax? Likewise, is the Dreams quote before or after tax? If there's only $20 difference, I'd definately choose the onsite option if you can!

I've been twice in December, and hopefully will be going again that time this year. The weather can be changeable, but when it is nice, it's certainly warm enough to go swimming during the day. The Christmas decorations are awesome, especially if you can find you way to visiting some of the resorts. It's a wonderful time of year to go :)

Penny :)

Penny

The Dreams quote is the Disney Club Room Only rate inc Tax, Sheraton is without tax. Think I would be inclined to go for ASMo and 5/6 day hoppers or even an Annual Pass (in the hope of getting further discount !)

I'm glad you think it would be warm enough to swim as the pool has always been DD1's favourite holiday memory - kids ??

Well, I've managed to keep the cost down to £2800 for the 4 of us including....

VA flights
All inclusive car hire & insurance (I4)
Cheap hotel - HoJo
5 day hoppers
5 park flextickets

All I have to do now is persuade the Government that DH really needs two weeks leave on 30th November:D

That is pretty good Tracey.

We are looking at going next August and with August flight prices for 3 of us, villa and passes we would be lucky to go for that.

I don't want to start this taking children out of school conversation again, but presumably you are going in term time?

Theresa

The way things are at the moment there's no way we could afford to go in school holidays. DD1 is doing very well in school and I don't feel it would affect her. My first choice would be to overlap school holidays, the dates I've chosen are just to get an idea of price - not my ideal time. Its all ifs and buts (and mainly if onlys ) at the moment !

Hi Tracey

Do you mind me asking where you got the quote from for the flights as that seems like a pretty good price to me (not that I know very much about it LOL !!!) but we are looking to go with Virgin and book either flight only or fly drive next October.

Julie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter