DIY Idea for Elsa Dress

PrncessA

Dis_Mom_
DD wants an Elsa dress for DW and I refuse to pay Ebay prices. I have been stalking the JCPenney website and looking online everyday but no luck. The ones I did find in stock were that cheaply made, uncomfortable ones, that DD would not wear. So I decided to add it to my list of dresses that I am making her for the trip, and I don't know how on earth I am going to get all of them done in time to be honest, since we moved our trip up by 3 months!

So I found this sparkly white dress at Kmart for $14 on sale (it is quite a bit big on her to get the length) and the sparkly blue tulle for like $2 a while ago. I plan on using fabric dye to dye the fabric a light shade of blue. I will need to sew in the top sides and straps to her size then adding the cape, but that is much easier than a from scratch dress. Plus if you are not comfortable a sewing, this is minimal.

Here are a few pics of DD in the dress. It is pinned back, still white, and the tulle is barely on, but she LOVES it! She said she looks just like Elsa. :goodvibes Hope this helps someone!

I love it! Wish we had a K Mart near us. I bought a sundress pattern and some material and plan to sew an Elsa dress for DD. I really need to get on that too!

DD wants an Elsa dress for DW and I refuse to pay Ebay prices. I have been stalking the JCPenney website and looking online everyday but no luck. The ones I did find in stock were that cheaply made, uncomfortable ones, that DD would not wear. So I decided to add it to my list of dresses that I am making her for the trip, and I don't know how on earth I am going to get all of them done in time to be honest, since we moved our trip up by 3 months!

So I found this sparkly white dress at Kmart for $14 on sale (it is quite a bit big on her to get the length) and the sparkly blue tulle for like $2 a while ago. I plan on using fabric dye to dye the fabric a light shade of blue. I will need to sew in the top sides and straps to her size then adding the cape, but that is much easier than a from scratch dress. Plus if you are not comfortable a sewing, this is minimal.

Here are a few pics of DD in the dress. It is pinned back, still white, and the tulle is barely on, but she LOVES it! She said she looks just like Elsa. :goodvibes Hope this helps someone!

FYI-The dress looks like it is polyester-make sure you get the correct dye and understand how to correctly dye polyester, or you could have a mess on your hands.

FYI-The dress looks like it is polyester-make sure you get the correct dye and understand how to correctly dye polyester, or you could have a mess on your hands.

It is 100% polyester. I know it is a bit more intensive, but a lot less than sewing a new dress. :)

Thanks for sharing. This is a wonderful idea, and the $14 dress was a great find. Please post pictures of the finished product if you can.

Very pretty DD! :goodvibes

That looks so great! My daughter is so lucky her grandmother is a sewer. She bought fabric on sale and made an entire Elsa dress for $11. It's amazing what a little creativity and elbow grease can do!

Thanks for the awesome idea!! I am planning to give Disney a little longer to get more dresses in, but if no costumes are available for Halloween, I will definitely borrow your idea and make something on my own! This looks adorable and simple too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter